Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-connecticut-school-shooting-20121214,0,4678476.story

Police shed no light on the motive for the attack. The gunman was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and lived with his mother in Connecticut

The law enforcement official who said Adam Lanza had a possible personality disorder said Ryan Lanza had been extremely cooperative, was not believed to have any involvement in the rampage and was not under arrest or in custody, but investigators were still searching his computers and phone records. Ryan Lanza told law enforcement he had not been in touch with his brother since about 2010.

Also, a custodian went running around, warning people there was a gunman in the school, Varga said.
(God bless this custodian)

Article describes the heroics of some teachers as well.

for SURE video games and horror films that desensitize.

i also WONDER (not blaming, just wondering) about antidepressants in teens desensitizing them to emotion. there is a direct link in teen suicides and antidepressants. i'm not saying that all teens that take antidepressants are going to commit suicide or massacres, but I do believe they numb the mind.

From HARVARD:

While the use of antidepressants increased in the 1990s, the suicide rate among adolescents declined by 31%.

Recent autopsy studies have shown that adolescents who commit suicide, even when they have a prescription for an antidepressant, are usually NOT taking the antidepressant at the time of death.

If your teen is depressed, take them for treatment, and YOU put their prescribed antidepressant in his/her mouth every day to make sure he/she doesn't "cheek" it.

There are new antidepressants now that do not cause sexual dysfunction. Ask for them.

If your child complains of feeling numb on antidepressants, go back and complain to the prescriber. Ask for a different med or a decrease in the dosage if possible.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/antidepressant_drug_use_in_children

If you feel depressed for over two weeks, talk to your health provider. Like many other illnesses, depression can get worse if left untreated for weeks/months.

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

I cannot stop crying. I cannot watch any of the coverage. I sent hubby out for pizza and movies. I do not feel ready to have to explain to my 8 year old what has ocurred and I fear his catching sight of all this coverage.

How will I make him feel his school is a safe place? That he doesnt need to live in fear? When all I feel at the moment is fear and anger that the world is what it is?

Someone should start an emotional toll thread if one hasn't been already, for those like myself, too damned shellshocked to do anything beyond grieve and pray.

Like I said, I have a 7-year-old niece who has been asking questions and the most you can do is to explain to them the security measures their own school has in place to protect them and to reassure them that they are safe (even if we adults have our own doubts at this moment). Contact your child's school and ask them directly what security measures they have in place (my sister and brother-in-law did this today) so you can better reassure them because they have already learned this from their own teachers. They will be content with the fact that you, as a parent, can match what their teachers say.

Right now though, just hug your baby and love him/her.

ETA: I nearly had a heart attack with the closure of this thread.

Dr. Drew's statement today was compelling: "Our culture is sick."

He went on to say change needs to happen with healthy homes, communities, and states -- that we need to address the divisiveness, because it's affecting individuals and resulting in tragedies like today.

OK Ryan states that he has not had any contact with his brother in two years. What about contact with his mom? Doesn't Adam reside with his mother?

Every school year, all the kids in a class take a class picture. The media is going to get a hold of that picture, and we will realize that every child in it was killed :(

From HARVARD:

While the use of antidepressants increased in the 1990s, the suicide rate among adolescents declined by 31%.

Recent autopsy studies have shown that adolescents who commit suicide, even when they have a prescription for an antidepressant, are usually NOT taking the antidepressant at the time of death.

If your teen is depressed, take them for treatment, and YOU put their prescribed antidepressant in his/her mouth every day to make sure he/she doesn't "cheek" it.

There are new antidepressants now that do not cause sexual dysfunction. Ask for them.

If your child complains of feeling numb on antidepressants, go back and complain to the prescriber. Ask for a different med or a decrease in the dosage if possible.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/antidepressant_drug_use_in_children

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

It would be very difficult to make a 20yr old take any meds he did not want to take. He is legally an adult.

Please don't get the thread shut down again.

I cannot stop crying. I cannot watch any of the coverage. I sent hubby out for pizza and movies. I do not feel ready to have to explain to my 8 year old what has ocurred and I fear his catching sight of all this coverage.

How will I make him feel his school is a safe place? That he doesnt need to live in fear? When all I feel at the moment is fear and anger that the world is what it is?

Someone should start an emotional toll thread if one hasn't been already, for those like myself, too damned shellshocked to do anything beyond grieve and pray.
I'm so sorry tlcox, and I really feel your pain. I too can't stop crying for long today. This is beyond devastating, and I think you're right. We need a thread for some emotional support. Particularly to guide those of us with small children. We need to be ready to explain this to them, and I don't know how to do that. I really don't!
I too just turned off the TV hours ago. It's so painful. To think of what these parents are going through today is unimaginable. I can't even fathom sending my kids off to school, only to learn that their lives had been taken there, in this way. Its' way too much, for all of us. Yes, yes...Let's get some Emotional support please! Hugs and peace to all WS'er tonight.... and may our prayers and thoughts reach the many so deeply effected by this senseless tragedy.

I heard on CBS News that Adam Lanza was more outgoing than Ryan Lanza.

stop-sign.jpg

http://vecto2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stop-sign.jpg

TAKE THE GUN CONTROL DISCUSSION TO THE PARKING LOT! SECOND WARNING!

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Re-posting just in case it wasn't clear enough. Thanks, Kimster, by the way!

Dr. Drew's statement today was compelling: "Our culture is sick."

He went on to say change needs to happen with healthy homes, communities, and states -- that we need to address the divisiveness, because it's affecting individuals and resulting in tragedies like today.

He's right. That's what I was trying to articulate with my moral decay comment.

:eek:
Listening to the press conference...
Medical Examiners on the scene...
my words:ALL those innocent BABIES
are still in the building!!!!

The investigating is massive,
Those poor parents!
:tears::tears::tears:

I'm so sorry tlcox, and I really feel your pain. I too can't stop crying for long today. This is beyond devastating, and I think you're right. We need a thread for some emotional support. Particularly to guide those of us with small children. We need to be ready to explain this to them, and I don't know how to do that. I really don't!
I too just turned off the TV hours ago. It's so painful. To think of what these parents are going through today is unimaginable. I can't even fathom sending my kids off to school, only to learn that their lives had been taken there, in this way. Its' way too much, for all of us. Yes, yes...Let's get some Emotional support please! Hugs and peace to all WS'er tonight.... and may our prayers and thoughts reach the many so deeply effected by this senseless tragedy.
Yes, turn off the tv and your computer if this is devastating to you. Moms and dads must be mentally healthy to adequately care for their children's needs.

Lt. Vance says another presser tomorrow morning, perhaps 8 a.m [EST].

Like I said, I have a 7-year-old niece who has been asking questions and the most you can do is to explain to them the security measures their own school has in place to protect them and to reassure them that they are safe (even if we adults have our own doubts at this moment). Contact your child's school and ask them directly what security measures they have in place (my sister and brother-in-law did this today) so you can better reassure them because they have already learned this from their own teachers. They will be content with the fact that you, as a parent, can match what their teachers say.

Right now though, just hug your baby and love him/her.

ETA: I nearly had a heart attack with the closure of this thread.

Thanks lolamoon. I know his school is safer than many, buzzed in at one entrance, video monitoring, etc. But I am just so danged raw right now I can't have the conversation, hence the avoidance of the coverage.

:eek:
Listening to the press conference...
Medical Examiners on the scene...
my words:ALL those innocent BABIES
are still in the building!!!!

The investigating is massive,
Those poor parents!
:tears::tears::tears:

They had to call in medical examiners from surrounding area's to help. If that doesn't put today's events into perspective, I don't know what does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname