Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #9 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article on the new attorney Judy Clarke, added to DT's defense team:
http://news.yahoo.com/reclusive-death-penalty-lawyer-opens-003542698.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Judy Clarke is in the business of cheating death, but she rarely talks about it.
Clarke, one of the nation's top lawyers and defender of the despised, broke her silence Friday in a speech at a legal conference, where she spoke about her work saving notorious criminal defendants from execution.

Touch DNA is epithelial cells (skin).

True - I hadn't read what kind of DNA they said. Did they say touch DNA or have they just said DNA?

Honestly, I'm not sure the female DNA means much.

True - I hadn't read what kind of DNA they said. Did they say touch DNA or have they just said DNA?

Honestly, I'm not sure the female DNA means much.

Who knows ... it may in fact rule KRT out.

I hope they do ancestral DNA testing :)

And another interesting article on Judy Clarke from about two years ago.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/11/judy-clarke-jared-loughners-amazing-attorney/?ncid=webmail

AOL Original
Judy Clarke: Jared Loughner's 'Amazing' Attorney
2 years ago
ANALYSIS BY
ANDREW COHEN
Legal Analyst

"Judy Clarke is the Forrest Gump of criminal defense attorneys. Otherwise unassuming, even shy, she seems to turn up, front and center, for many of the cases we'll never forget.

"... And now, Clarke is Jared Lee Loughner's attorney in a dramatic case that surely will be in the headlines for years to come."

"The 22-year-old defendant in the Tucson massacre case could have been assigned a lawyer who sleeps through trials, or who doesn't investigate witnesses, or who otherwise is ineffective as he squares off with federal prosecutors, a devastated Arizona, and an angry nation. In Clarke, Loughner has in his corner a tenacious attorney who is something of a folk hero to criminal defense attorneys around the country. She is dogged, detailed, and well-respected among the federal judiciary. She is also a staunch opponent of the death penalty, which is helpful, if not required, in her line of work. And she specializes, or so it seems, in molding pretrial agreements between her clients and the government which end up precluding long trials, endless appeals, and death row visits. Even legendary trial lawyers, ones with stellar national reputations of their own, consider Clarke "amazing" (to use a word that kept popping up in my in-box)."

Good article, much more...

Who knows ... it may in fact rule KRT out.

I hope they do ancestral DNA testing :)

I'm interested in knowing why they need it. is it to rule her out or does it put her in a place where she becomes an accomplice?

Received a pressure cooker as a wedding present in the mid 60s. I had grown up seeing my grandmother and my mother use them, so was not afraid of it. I used it a lot when my family was young and my food budget tight. Good for making a tougher piece of meat tender. lol Plus a very short cooking time for things like stews, chili, etc.

Haven't used it for years now - but I do use my crock pot a lot.

------------------------

Dead bomber must have had some charm that I am missing. Descriptions of his behaviors paint him to be a real male chauvinist pig (now there's an oldfashioned term)
and I don't think he was very good looking. Maybe just not my type. Bad nose.

I can't believe he attracted two American girls - and to the point where he was playing one off against the other. Ugghh!
------------------------
As to what happens to unclaimed bodies, each jurisdiction has their own guidelines on this. Normally the body will kept for a certain minimum amount of time - could be a month or two. This could possibly change due to lack of storage space.

At the end of the prescribed time the body is disposed of, again as per the guidelines within the jurisdiction. Cremation or burial.

From my own family's experience, the authorities were unclear with us as to when exactly an autopsy would take place on my relative. Said they would call us when it was completed. So we had to make tentative arrangements. Then when they called and said the autopsy was complete they wanted to know how soon we would have someone there to pick up the body. As in "come and get it right now", or so it seemed to me.

I'm interested in knowing why they need it. is it to rule her out or does it put her in a place where she becomes an accomplice?
I guess that depends on what it shows, and where the DNA was exactly (could it have been innocent, as in the random handling washing of a pressure cooker, or in a more telling location on the bomb, that could only have been done by someone deeply involved..

That post links to the article which states:

"Law enforcement officials said they took a DNA sample Monday from Tamerlan's wife, Katherine Russell Tsarnaev, to compare to female DNA found on a piece of pressure cooker used to make one of the bombs."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...t-avoid-death-penalty-talks-have-started?lite

Yes, I'm quoting the blurb at the very top of the article:

Investigators have taken a DNA sample from the wife of slain suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev to compare with the female DNA discovered on the pressure cooker from one of the Boston bombs.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...e-started?lite

I'm taking this to mean it was one of the two that exploded at the Boston marathon. Because of what was also posted by the Wall Street Journal (see post #781):

WSJ Breaking News ‏@WSJbreakingnews 2m
More: DNA sample taken from Boston bomb suspect's widow. http://on.wsj.com/ZgGflc

Female DNA Found on Bomb in Boston Attack
Investigators have found female DNA on at least one of the bombs used in the Boston Marathon attacks, though they haven't determined whose DNA it is or whether that means a woman helped the two...
I could be wrong, though.

I guess that depends on what it shows, and where the DNA was exactly (could it have been innocent, as in the random handling washing of a pressure cooker, or in a more telling location on the bomb, that could only have been done by someone deeply involved..
yep

lot's of scenarios where you could see this going both ways

Has it been said if KRT will or will not claim TT's body?

Because this is America it's how we are... you know innocent until proven guilty and all that nonsense written into the constitution.

if they killed him and a compatriot let off a few more bombs after the fact you'd be upset about that too. It's all good to be critical in hindsight but not very realistic

As I recall, he already allegedly run over his compatriot.
I never expected him to provide any useful information, and it doesn't sound like he did.

While I hate that $$ is being spent on a "team" to defend him, I wanted him taken alive primarily because I believe everything about this would have been deemed a "conspiracy"... it's already bad enough, as is. Without him in custody the spin would be even worse. JMO (which is subject to fluctuate ;))

He is alive, and conspiracy theories are still abound. Doesn't seem to help much, if any.

Wonder how long it will take for us to hear more info on the fireworks gunpowder containers found in the donation box today. I'd guess they could get soe good fingerprints off that. Need to look up the Gerry's pizza location and see how close the donations box was to the bombers homes.ETA:Gerry's Italian Kitchen on Belmont Street in Watertown

Now that I thin about it, weren't DT & TT coming home with a pizza the night before the bombings.
So, mapping it out, 1074 Belmont St Watertown, ma (Gerry's) to the 410 Norfolk st. Apt.(home of DT & TT)
19 mins / 5.90 miles

Remember Next to Gerry's is the donation box where the empty gunpowder shells were found.

He is alive, and conspiracy theories are still abound. Doesn't seem to help much, if any.

Just thinking here, but since older bro was the one who travelled for 6 months over there and has the opportunity to become more radicalized, possibly be trained, whatever went on. I would think he had more ties to that community, and that's where the conspiracy theories would really come into play.

I'm interested in DT's tweet of July 20 2012 (would be the day or so after TT arrived back from Dagestan)

•this lady on the train is creeping hard right into my computer screen, just made eye contact #awkward Jul 20, 2012

•18 hours on the train 0.o Jul 20, 2012

•on the train to washington with a 5 year old who wont go to sleep #thisistorture Jul 20, 2012

18 hours? Surely it's not that long a train ride from Boston to Washington, DC. So, does this mean Washington state?

Not clear whether the 5 year old was with him, or if he's referring to another traveler's child.

ETA: From what I can see, Amtrak Boston to Washington DC is approx. 8 hrs, and Boston to Seattle, WA is around 73 hours .. nothing that equates to 18 hours

Dead bomber must have had some charm that I am missing. Descriptions of his behaviors paint him to be a real male chauvinist pig (now there's an oldfashioned term)
and I don't think he was very good looking. Maybe just not my type.

No kidding. The guy must be really charismatic, because he sounds like a total jerk, had no job and lived with his mom, and I can't imagine his looks or leather pants and pointy shoes were the magic that made girls fight over him.

One of the great mysteries of this case.

Capri, this article has a lot of debate/info about the fireworks/gunpowder, for what it's worth:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235304578440843633991044.html

Mr. Weimer of Phantom Fireworks in Youngstown, Ohio, said that his company believes that the quantity of powder in the fireworks wouldn't have been nearly sufficient to produce the Boston blasts. Each shell contains a small amount of explosive material, and some is used to produce whistles and other effects.

Mr. Weimer said extracting powder from the mortar kits "would have been a very long, involved process."

Much larger quantities of black powder and similar low-grade explosives can be purchased at gun stores and other outlets, he said, and would have been a simpler and cheaper way for the alleged bombers to procure explosive material.

"It's highly doubtful" the Boston bombers used consumer-grade fireworks, said Julie Heckman, executive director of the American Pyrotechnics Association, an industry trade group. She said it would take far more than 48 of the small mortar shells to produce the explosions seen in Boston.

Other experts, however, said people could make a bomb from such fireworks. "It's a rather primitive way to build an explosive device, but you could do it," said John Conkling, a chemist with decades of experience in fireworks. "You would also have a good chance of blowing yourself up.''

I'm interested in DT's tweet of July 20 2012 (would be the day or so after TT arrived back from Dagestan)

•this lady on the train is creeping hard right into my computer screen, just made eye contact #awkward Jul 20, 2012

•18 hours on the train 0.o Jul 20, 2012

•on the train to washington with a 5 year old who wont go to sleep #thisistorture Jul 20, 2012

18 hours? Surely it's not that long a train ride from Boston to Washington, DC. So, does this mean Washington state?

Not clear whether the 5 year old was with him, or if he's referring to another traveler's child.

ETA: From what I can see, Amtrak Boston to Washington DC is approx. 8 hrs, and Boston to Seattle, WA is around 73 hours .. nothing that equates to 18 hours

maybe 18 hours as in they've been on the train for 18 hours so far.

it's twitter so posts tend to naturally be short and cryptic.

Capri, this article has a lot of debate/info about the fireworks/gunpowder, for what it's worth:

But we know he got them at Phantom Fireworks. They even remember him there. He used a buy one get one free coupon, barely Legal fireworks. There are also I think 4 more fireworks stores in the NY area.

I'm not really sure what they guy s trying to say?Not enough powder for the amount of blast the got. I'm sure he probably bought at more that one fireworks store, to get the amt. needed.

But we know he got them at Phantom in NH. They even remember him there. He used a buy one get one free coupon, barely Legal fireworks. There are also I think 4 more fireworks stores in the NY area.

True, but I couldn't post everyone's comments...copyright rules, here. ;)

(I think the NH store owner's comments are earlier in the article. It's looooong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONF21772