Dellen Millard: Innocent Dupe? Alternative Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the theory remains intact only with the following conditions.

1) after the sale, and before TB exits the vehicle, DM leaves the scene.
2) DM does not register the vehicle at the DVLA and get the plates changed ( it was reported missing, DVLA should know)
3) Nobody else who is aware of the missing truck sees the vehicle wherever it was kept.
4) DM remains blissfully unaware of the TB case.
5) suspects #2 & #3 don't inform him of what happened.

definitely not working for me. The only way I see DM being uninvolved in the crime, is if it wasnt him on the test drive(s).

What if he was not aware of TB's name? I only heard about the case because someone had told me about it. I didnt hear it on the news as I rarely watch MSM and never buy a newspaper unless its to wrap around something for storage. There is still something very odd about this case.

ExiledRed So the theory remains intact only with the following conditions.

OK, let me give it a try. Note to self: WHY are you defending this theory when there are so many better ones that serve to poke holes in the story as it's been revealed so far?

1) after the sale, and before TB exits the vehicle, DM leaves the scene. Yes. Gets in what had been the following vehicle and drives home.

2) DM does not register the vehicle at the DVLA and get the plates changed ( it was reported missing, DVLA should know) Yes. He presumes his delegates are doing that or have done that. According to http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml they have 6 days to do that. If the intention was to break down the vehicle for parts somebody would have to eventually return the plates for a refund, but I see no time frame for that.

3) Nobody else who is aware of the missing truck sees the vehicle wherever it was kept. Correct. It's inside that big black trailer inside the hangar, then in Mom's driveway.

4) DM remains blissfully unaware of the TB case. Apparently. He sounds rather chronically and habitually blissfully unaware of many things.

5) suspects #2 & #3 don't inform him of what happened. Of course not. They're murderers who just pocketed up to 25 grand of the boss's cash. After delivering the trailer to Mom's driveway they've probably hopped the next direct flight to someplace tropical where there's no extradition.

definitely not working for me. The only way I see DM being uninvolved in the crime, is if it wasnt him on the test drive(s).

Also a good point. LE has not provided any information, nor do I expect they will do so, that confirms DM ever met TB. If DM has a verifiable alibi for the time period then the prosecution will face a steep uphill climb. If SB recognizes his face, physique and esp those tattoos, then the defense will face a steep downhill slope.

What if he was not aware of TB's name? I only heard about the case because someone had told me about it. I didnt hear it on the news as I rarely watch MSM and never buy a newspaper unless its to wrap around something for storage. There is still something very odd about this case.

Yes but Tim's face and the truck were everywhere. He would definitely have recognized him from the test drive, no?

I can buy that he wasnt aware of the search, but not that he also had nothing to do with the truck in the days following the test drive. (In order to legally drive it he would have to change plates)

I just dont see the following

"What happened to the seats? I just bought this, who took the damn seats out?"
"Where the hell is my trailer and the truck I just bought? ah screw it, whatever, no need to report them stolen."
"I don't need to change the plates, Im chopping it up to put the parts in my much older Dodge Ram with undoubtedly more clicks on it, anyway"

The set of circumstances under which he knew absolutely nothing and didnt unwittingly reveal the truck gets so narrow as to be implausible.

EDIT - Carli, I didnt see your post before this one was complete. I'll address those points momentarily.

The set of circumstances under which he knew absolutely nothing and didnt unwittingly reveal the truck gets so narrow as to be implausible.

Relative to the status quo proposition - a wealthy guy murders a man in order to steal his old truck - any alternative explanation is plausible, imo.

EDIT - Carli, I didnt see your post before this one was complete. I'll address those points momentarily.

I'll wait here.

1) after the sale, and before TB exits the vehicle, DM leaves the scene. Yes. Gets in what had been the following vehicle and drives home.

And this occurs before TB's battery is pulled (or the battery conveniently dies at roughly the same time as the burner phone's)

2) DM does not register the vehicle at the DVLA and get the plates changed ( it was reported missing, DVLA should know) Yes. He presumes his delegates are doing that or have done that.

If DM bought it, presumably he needs to sign for it.
If the intention was to break down the vehicle for parts somebody would have to eventually return the plates for a refund, but I see no time frame for that.

DM drove his truck down to Mexico, years ago and it is two years older. Im sure It makes more sense to upgrade to TB's truck than to refit his older truck with parts from the newer $26000 vehicle.

Correct. It's inside that big black trailer inside the hangar, then in Mom's driveway.

They searched the hangar first, in a frame up, why not just leave it there?

DM remains blissfully unaware of the TB case. Apparently. He sounds rather chronically and habitually blissfully unaware of many things.

Still a stretch though, and mightily convenient. I will concede the point though.

suspects #2 & #3 don't inform him of what happened. Of course not. They're murderers who just pocketed up to 25 grand of the boss's cash. After delivering the trailer to Mom's driveway they've probably hopped the next direct flight to someplace tropical where there's no extradition.

Even I would talk to police in this situation. If I'm generous to people, ( Im told DM was know for his generosity) I'd be furious if someone stole from me. Why not just incrminate my thieving friend who has obviously murdered somebody? He might be protecting himself with silence, but he is also protecting a murderer at large, which does not sit well with me.

Relative to the status quo proposition - a wealthy guy murders a man in order to steal his old truck - any alternative explanation is plausible, imo.

At this point the only thing that makes sense to me is that the truck was just an excuse for him/them to kill someone. Free truck was a side bonus.

I've pretty much felt this way from the beginning (thrill kill/Grand Theft Auto), and none of the subsequent information released has been inconsistent with that. Suggestion of other missing persons, incinerator on property where charred remains of TB were discovered, additional remains discovered, etc.

Unfortunately I think it's pretty much what it looks like--this wasn't his/their first murder, he/they got away with it before, and got a taste for it. Free, quickly obtained truck a bonus. Based on almost-victim #1, and Tim's phone being turned off so fast, I believe it was very much planned out. They just picked the wrong victim, and failed to foresee how much more media attention they would get for "family man tries to sell truck online, winds up dead" than "probable suicide" (WM) and "party girl reported missing by her friends, sort of" (LB).

The only question in my mind is how much is 'he' and how much is 'they'.

Yes but Tim's face and the truck were everywhere. He would definitely have recognized him from the test drive, no?

I can buy that he wasnt aware of the search, but not that he also had nothing to do with the truck in the days following the test drive. (In order to legally drive it he would have to change plates)

I just dont see the following

"What happened to the seats? I just bought this, who took the damn seats out?" I think he has so many 'toys' he could well leave the updates and stuff to his 'friends' jmo
"Where the hell is my trailer and the truck I just bought? ah screw it, whatever, no need to report them stolen." His friends could say anything really, taken out to modify etc, plus how often would he use that trailer normally? I doubt he keeps track of everything he owns minute by minute. Even I dont do that and I have nothing compared to him.
"I don't need to change the plates, Im chopping it up to put the parts in my much older Dodge Ram with undoubtedly more clicks on it, anyway" What if the truck was for one of the other guys ?

I know its hard to determine what is actual truth with so little information to base it on. Especially when being kept within guidelines of what LE has so far released, as it limits the scope of possibilities. I am sleuthing outside of the guidelines myself. I already have an idea of who is involved.... but thats for another day

At this point the only thing that makes sense to me is that the truck was just an excuse for him/them to kill someone. Free truck was a side bonus.

I've pretty much felt this way from the beginning (thrill kill/Grand Theft Auto), and none of the subsequent information released has been inconsistent with that. Suggestion of other missing persons, incinerator on property where charred remains of TB were discovered, additional remains discovered, etc.

Unfortunately I think it's pretty much what it looks like--this wasn't his/their first murder, he/they got away with it before, and got a taste for it. Free, quickly obtained truck a bonus. Based on almost-victim #1, and Tim's phone being turned off so fast, I believe it was very much planned out. They just picked the wrong victim, and failed to foresee how much more media attention they would get for "family man tries to sell truck online, winds up dead" than "probable suicide" (WM) and "party girl reported missing by her friends" (LB).

The only question in my mind is how much is 'he' and how much is 'they'.

I'm with you. I think that is what happened. Also think he was into other things, drugs, etc.

And this occurs before TB's battery is pulled (or the battery conveniently dies at roughly the same time as the burner phone's)

If DM bought it, presumably he needs to sign for it.

DM drove his truck down to Mexico, years ago and it is two years older. Im sure It makes more sense to upgrade to TB's truck than to refit his older truck with parts from the newer $26000 vehicle.

They searched the hangar first, in a frame up, why not just leave it there?

Still a stretch though, and mightily convenient. I will concede the point though.

Even I would talk to police in this situation. If I'm generous to people, ( Im told DM was know for his generosity) I'd be furious if someone stole from me. Why not just incrminate my thieving friend who has obviously murdered somebody? He might be protecting himself with silence, but he is also protecting a murderer at large, which does not sit well with me.

I guess so, Exiled. I'm not sure if what I would or might do in such circumstances is useful. Maybe the old truck had a smokin' sound system or fuzzy dice and hula girls engraved on the dash or something. Whatevah.

Your middle and last points are interesting, though. If DM bought it, presumably he needs to sign for it. And presumably he did. As I understand it, the seller has the docs to be signed - it would make sense to have these close at hand and available in the vehicle. (In the unlikely event that this was to be a MillardAir (write-off) acquisition, he could have even delegated the signing.)

But your last observation has me wondering. What if slight-of-build RHP (Red Hoodie Person) popularly referred to as Suspect # 2, I guess -that would be 2 of up to five as we've been told - what if Suspect # 2 is actually DM's girlfriend? That would make her either a very important witness and one whose life is possibly very much in danger OR could make her the mastermind of this whole deal. One thing I know for sure is that when there's a person with lots of cash, poor business sense and a generous nature, s/he will attract the most charming worst of the worst in very short order.

ExiledRed So the theory remains intact only with the following conditions.

OK, let me give it a try. Note to self: WHY are you defending this theory when there are so many better ones that serve to poke holes in the story as it's been revealed so far?

2) DM does not register the vehicle at the DVLA and get the plates changed ( it was reported missing, DVLA should know) Yes. He presumes his delegates are doing that or have done that. According to http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml they have 6 days to do that. If the intention was to break down the vehicle for parts somebody would have to eventually return the plates for a refund, but I see no time frame for that.

3) Nobody else who is aware of the missing truck sees the vehicle wherever it was kept. Correct. It's inside that big black trailer inside the hangar, then in Mom's driveway.

4) DM remains blissfully unaware of the TB case. Apparently. He sounds rather chronically and habitually blissfully unaware of many things.

5) suspects #2 & #3 don't inform him of what happened. Of course not. They're murderers who just pocketed up to 25 grand of the boss's cash. After delivering the trailer to Mom's driveway they've probably hopped the next direct flight to someplace tropical where there's no extradition.

Also a good point. LE has not provided any information, nor do I expect they will do so, that confirms DM ever met TB. If DM has a verifiable alibi for the time period then the prosecution will face a steep uphill climb. If SB recognizes his face, physique and esp those tattoos, then the defense will face a steep downhill slope.

If you modify the theory a bit it can be more convincing. DM isn't the guy that wants the truck. His friend wants it and asked DM's help in finding a good one since he has one himself and knows the vehicle.

That could explain him not covering his tattoo and using his real phone because he was unaware of the full plot.

The fact they burned the body in one location then move it to DM's property looks like it could be a setup. Same with putting the stolen truck on another property associated with DM.

I don't necessarily buy this theory but also can't rule it out.

I wouldn't think many sellers would carry the title to the truck with them on a test drive.

I know I wouldn't, I'd have them bring me home and then I'd get the title, sign it over to them after I had the money.

If they asked me to bring the title on the test drive, I'd question why and if they were so convinced about the truck that I should bring the title, then heck, let's just do the deal here in my driveway.

I don't think for a minute any sale transaction took place.

By the way and still hooked on this valiant effort to try and come up with other scenarios which might explain some of the circumstances and/or the character of those we're told were involved I notice at the Dee Em page that one of his fav books was "The Last Lecture."

I have trouble imagining someone sitting about munching on dog bisquits and plotting horrific murders while reading this particular book. (Not to say it couldn't happen.) Does anyone know if DM's father had been recently diagnosed with serious illness?

I really think that if DM is innocent, either he was never in Tim's truck or/and that test drive #1 is a red herring.

I wouldn't think many sellers would carry the title to the truck with them on a test drive.

I know I wouldn't, I'd have them bring me home and then I'd get the title, sign it over to them after I had the money.

If they asked me to bring the title on the test drive, I'd question why and if they were so convinced about the truck that I should bring the title, then heck, let's just do the deal here in my driveway.

In Ontario you can be charged if you do not have the ownership (title) and Insurance certificate with you if you are stopped by the police.

In Ontario you can be charged if you do not have the ownership (title) and Insurance certificate with you if you are stopped by the police.

I don't think so. You just need a copy. It is actually recommended that you never have the actual title with you but out of your vehicle in a safe place.
EDIT: it should be a certified true copy. Police could ticket you if you didn't have one but insurance companies, car dealerships, etc. all tell you not to keep it in your car so if your car is stolen, you have your proof of ownership somewhere else.

If you modify the theory a bit it can be more convincing. DM isn't the guy that wants the truck. His friend wants it and asked DM's help in finding a good one since he has one himself and knows the vehicle.

DM is involved in this, whether it was him or someone else who was going to be the end user of the stolen vehicle. By the way, it is very possible that it wasn't DM who wanted the truck for himself.

Well, there you are, you see. Different strokes for different folks. I, on the other hand, keep all my vehicle stuff in the vehicle. Otherwise tow truck drivers, insurance salesmen, the occasional traffic police and other strangers would be hanging out in my living room for a very long time while I dug through the household's various papers depositories looking for the docs. Aren't you required to keep your car registration and insurance papers in the car in Ontario? Additionally, when it comes to selling the Ontario states Under Ontario law, private sellers of most motor vehicles must buy and show potential buyers the Used Vehicle Information Package. I imagine any buyer would want to see this information in order to insure that the seller actually owned the vehicle BEFORE he goes test driving, especially if he's intending to carry on home and not personally return to the seller's residence. It's a good LE question for SB, though. Does she know where the "Used Vehicle Information Package" was located that night. Was it in the truck or did TB take it with him? I'm certain LE has gone down this particular interrogation path with close attention.

Anyway, nothing about this makes sense, including the follow up. Even if your intention was to chop the vehicle and ship its components to the far corners of the earth, choosing to murder its owner seems a very bad call, especially if you and your accomplice are going to dress up in bright orange and red hoodies, arrive at a relatively remote location in the dead of night, (possibly) flash your tattoos while talking to the victim and his wife. How stupid are we to presume DM and his alleged accomplice are?

Is there anything to suggest that DM is intellectually compromised? Maybe he is. Could he have been somebody's patsy in this? Is there anyone he fears or in some way exercises emotional or intellectual control over him? Were there two motives here? DM thinks he's buying a truck while the bad guys are just there to rob the seller.

For the last 5 years, I have only ever carried a copy of the ownership after being advised by several that it was unwise to carry the actual ownership. I've had to show it and I've never been questioned. I keep the actual ownership in safe keeping. I know at least a lot of people within my circles do the same. So it would be just as likely that the vehicle did not have the ownership with it during the test drive.

Well, there you go. Who knew? As I said, were I to do that, originals would probably never float up to the surface in my household again. Who has time for filing when there's sleuthing goin' on? But the Ont Ministry of Transportation refers to this "Used Vehicle Information Package" which I gather is meant to be signed and given to a buyer. If you're curb-siding, I can't imagine why you wouldn't carry it in the vehicle. Did TB's truck have a "For Sale" sign anywhere on it? He lived out in the country. If somebody at the mall is ready and willing to buy, for instance are you then going to provide all the address and driving instructions for your place, thus letting that hot buyer off the hook? Maybe. I dunno. I wouldn't. Anyway, I don't necessarily want to welcome this buyer/stranger inside my house. I just want him to buy my truck.

In Ontario, The vehicle and plate portion of the ownership are together, and are to be in the vehicle at all times. To see the vehicle, the seller merely needs to sign the back of the vehicle portion. It is also the sellers responsibilty to provide the UVIP (used vehicle information package) but that does not always happen. For a buyer to register it they need, bill of sale, signed ownership, UVP, ONDL, insurance and safety. It is not a difficult process by any means, and yes this information is correct.

So do we agree it is likely Tim had the paperwork in his possession when he was on the test drive? This would be everyday normal in Ontario.

Good point. If he'd delegated the final details of the truck purchase to underlings or associates, though, I can see no reason why he'd want/need to contact the seller. I imagine alerts about TB having gone missing would have been all over the Ontario airwaves in that first week so for the theory to hold any water, you would think he'd put 2 and 2 together, unless he was completely out of the media loop during that time.

I volunteered to hand out flyers on the Saturday after TB went missing and I can tell you, there were LOTS of people that hadn't heard that there was someone missing from Ancaster. Conceivable to think that DM may not have heard about the search IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann