TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
r042mo.jpg

Finally, a good photo of Kathy. And part of an article.

It's sick they called it a "sex attack".. what the heck is up with that reporters from back in the day?

What a beautiful little girl.

So she left Nov. 29 and was discovered December 2nd. I feel like I've forgotten something. Do they think she was in the field since the 29th? But no, because you said the injuries would take a while. So do they have a day/time of death? If she weren't in the lot since the 29th, where was she between then, when she went missing and the 2nd when she was discovered?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Here are my own thoughts regarding the crime. This is my own profile of the predator that I came up with.

Kathy was abducted and taken somewhere. She was either lured into or forced into a vehicle. The abductor likely took Kathy to a secluded place somewhere around the Nashville area.

Kathy was bound and tied. The sock was placed in her mouth to muffle her screams while brutal unspeakable acts were committed against her.

I believe Kathy was murdered in the secluded place where she was held captive. The killer wanted Kathy to be found, and had her body and personal belongings placed in the area near where she lived.

Kathy was murdered because she either knew her killer or the killer was afraid she could provide police a good suspect description. I believe her abductor and murderer likely was someone who was known to the police.

The brutal nature of Kathy’s murder leads me to believe that her abductor is a pedophile who is involved in bondage, S&M, and torture.

While there is a possibility that her killer could be involved in a pedo ring, I don’t think more than one or two persons were involved with this horrible crime.

Another possibility that cannot be overlooked is that her killer may have been in the military or had a previous military background.

Her killer might have been stationed at Fort Campbell at the time of the murder and could possibly have served overseas in Southeast Asia.

I agree... I believe she was either grabbed very, very quickly or convinced to get into a car in a manner that looked so natural and normal that if anyone saw it, they thought nothing of it. (A lure of some kind as in maybe someone she knew.) However, I belive a vehicle could drive up to a young girl and snatch her so quickly that she wouldn't be able to do much. OR she rode the rollerdrome bus which she considered to be perfectly safe.

And I agree she was taken somewhere. She was missing 36 hours. I do not believe she was in the field all that long. The coroner decided she died on Sunday. I don't know how he made that determination, but it seems logical as she had heavy bruising and that needed some time to form before she died.

Good point about where she was found. I believe the killer knew where she was trying to go that night. So, after he was through violating her, he dumped her and her stuff there with less consideration than I give my garbage when I set it out on the curb.

I don't think it could be a whole lot of people, but I think perhaps three. If those two Floyd brothers came to see one of their pedophile friends in Nashville. And maybe that person had a surefire way to kidnap a child.. (just an example)

I had not thought of the military angle. Hm... (mulling that over)

Angels, they decided she died on Sunday. I do not think the Banner knew that yet when they wrote the article. She was discovered on Monday. I don't know HOW the Banner thought that crime could have occured behind the Krispy Kreme, it was kind of a complicated crime that took some time.

ETA
This is the first good photo I've seen of her in a long time. She looks like my niece. I'm glad to get the photo.

I'll be gone a little while. Anyone reading, thank you.

To the people posting, thank you as well! So many people here have come up with many good ideas and observations. I appreciate it so much.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

This says sunset was at 4.33 p.m.

Moon rose at 8.32 p.m.

Another thing that puzzles me, after hearing this story all of these years I have always had the impression that Kathy left during the daytime. Which would make more sense.

I am wondering if 7:45 is when Nora called the police and it has gotten garbled a bit in all of the years that have passed in media reports. I honestly do not see Nora letting Kathy go out to skate AND to KK at 7:45. It would take a while to get these places and back home from them; and it's not like Kathy was allowed to be out all hours.. so, she was going to skate for 10 minutes?

I always had the idea, from my family, that Kathy left during the day and was supposed to be home by dark. And 7:45 as a time to call the police would be after it was most definitely dark and after Nora had made some phone calls.

You have a an excellent point here. If sunset was at 4:33 p.m. on that day, it would have been dark by 5:00 p.m. at that time of the year.

I agree that it's more likely Kathy went to the roller skating rink sometime during the afternoon when it was daylight. And she most likely was expected back home either by supper time or before it got dark.

I don't know how late the roller skating rink would have stayed open on a Saturday night. I'm guessing it probably was open until 9:00 p.m. or maybe 10:00 p.m. back then.

I agree that if Kathy left home at 7:45 p.m. and say the skating rink closed at 9:00 p.m., it wouldn't give Kathy much time to skate. I don't think she would have went there that late at night just to skate for 10 minutes.

I say that kids and teens stayed and skated at roller skating rinks for more than an hour back then.

You have a an excellent point here. If sunset was at 4:33 p.m. on that day, it would have been dark by 5:00 p.m. at that time of the year.

I agree that it's more likely Kathy went to the roller skating rink sometime during the afternoon when it was daylight. And she most likely was expected back home either by supper time or before it got dark.

I don't know how late the roller skating rink would have stayed open on a Saturday night. I'm guessing it probably was open until 9:00 p.m. or maybe 10:00 p.m. back then.

I agree that if Kathy left home at 7:45 p.m. and say the skating rink closed at 9:00 p.m., it wouldn't give Kathy much time to skate. I don't think she would have went there that late at night just to skate for 10 minutes.

I say that kids and teens stayed and skated at roller skating rinks for more than an hour back then.
I don't know if it was true of all skating rinks, but the ones I was familiar with as an adolescent were open for sessions. On a Saturday afternoon the hours would be something like 11-3 or Noon-4. The evening session would be 6-10-ish, and that time was normally for teenagers. Sunday afternoon would be for families. Even if that was not the case, it's reasonable to assume Kathy would have gone skating in the early afternoon when she'd be likely to meet up with friends, rather than during an off time in the late afternoon or early evening.

Now I'm wondering if the bus ran that next day, Saturday. If not...well....that's a place that can be taken to privacy. Also kinda strengthens the Idea of more that one person. If one guy was missing all weekend that could draw attention. If they switched off, may not be so noticeable.

I don't know if this could be important, but I found a calendar for 1969.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1969

It looks like the crime happened on Thanksgiving Weekend. Thanksgiving Day was on November 27 in 1969.

I was going to look that up after you made the comment about military personnel. It got me wondering if there were people around who weren't usually around (and the people who were usually around were bad enough).

Now I'm wondering if the bus ran that next day, Saturday. If not...well....that's a place that can be taken to privacy. Also kinda strengthens the Idea of more that one person. If one guy was missing all weekend that could draw attention. If they switched off, may not be so noticeable.

The 29th was a Saturday. The main day the bus ran was on Saturday. But, since she was walking maybe she missed the main bus run and she knew it. That doesn't mean the bus wasn't lurking around.

I just don't see how in the world she could have left at 7.45. It would put her home very late even if she walked fast and she spent little time at either the rollerdrome or skating rink. Also, the low temp for 11/29/69 was 23 degrees. This has to be either the time Nora called the police or the time the police responded to her call.

And people in my family have always said she left during the day and was supposed to be home by dark. Which would be considerably earlier than 7.45.

I don't know if it was true of all skating rinks, but the ones I was familiar with as an adolescent were open for sessions. On a Saturday afternoon the hours would be something like 11-3 or Noon-4. The evening session would be 6-10-ish, and that time was normally for teenagers. Sunday afternoon would be for families. Even if that was not the case, it's reasonable to assume Kathy would have gone skating in the early afternoon when she'd be likely to meet up with friends, rather than during an off time in the late afternoon or early evening.

Noon to four would make sense. If that was the case, then she could've skated until the portion for kids was over and then walked home and gotten there before dark.

The 29th was a Saturday. The main day the bus ran was on Saturday. But, since she was walking maybe she missed the main bus run and she knew it. That doesn't mean the bus wasn't lurking around.

I just don't see how in the world she could have left at 7.45. It would put her home very late even if she walked fast and she spent little time at either the rollerdrome or skating rink. Also, the low temp for 11/29/69 was 23 degrees. This has to be either the time Nora called the police or the time the police responded to her call.

And people in my family have always said she left during the day and was supposed to be home by dark. Which would be considerably earlier than 7.45.

oops... i meant to say either the rollerdrome or the krispy kreme.

December,

I have some ideas you may be able to use in researching your cousin's case.

At the main Nashville public library, you should be able to find a 1969 city directory either in the reference or genealogy department.

A city directory is a big book that has listings of each street and block number of all businesses and residences on those streets. It'll also list who lived where and what their occupations were. You'll find an alphabetical listing of folks living in Nashville. The city directory is totally different from a telephone book.

I would also check to see if the Nashville area property tax records are online. From the property tax records, you should be able to see a transfer history of a property. It may be able to tell you who owned the roller skating rink and it should tell you if a corporation or a franchise owned the donut store,

At some point in time, you may want to consider contacting a Nashville television station that has an investigative reporter who does cold case or crime stoppers stories.

You might be able to get your cousin's case on the local newscast during the tv sweeps period.

And the tv station might let you see their news tapes of the crime scene and the neighborhood from 1969 if they still have it.

:rose: Kathy is our featured cold case from 9/29/2013 to 10/6/2013 :rose:

Thank you Kimster and WS for making Kathy Jones (12) of Nashville the featured case. I hope we can sleuth up something to help the police bring her killer to justice.

December,

I have some ideas you may be able to use in researching your cousin's case.

At the main Nashville public library, you should be able to find a 1969 city directory either in the reference or genealogy department.

A city directory is a big book that has listings of each street and block number of all businesses and residences on those streets. It'll also list who lived where and what their occupations were. You'll find an alphabetical listing of folks living in Nashville. The city directory is totally different from a telephone book.

I would also check to see if the Nashville area property tax records are online. From the property tax records, you should be able to see a transfer history of a property. It may be able to tell you who owned the roller skating rink and it should tell you if a corporation or a franchise owned the donut store,

At some point in time, you may want to consider contacting a Nashville television station that has an investigative reporter who does cold case or crime stoppers stories.

You might be able to get your cousin's case on the local newscast during the tv sweeps period.

And the tv station might let you see their news tapes of the crime scene and the neighborhood from 1969 if they still have it.

Nerosleuth, those are really good ideas. I don't live in Nashville, but I'm going to do my best to go to the main library and see what they have. I didn't know the city directory was that comprehensive, so I appreciate the tip.

2rdi8ug.jpg

Here is a better photo of Kathy.

Earlier in the thread I speculated that perhaps Edward Warner Adcox convinced the police he was only interested in boys. Now, I want to be clear that I'm not saying I have more wordly knowledge than the police. Of course I don't. They see the aftermath of horrible crimes and talk to vile murderers about those very horrors.

But, I was just thinking... the police had to sit in the room with Adcox. They knew him from around the neighborhood. Now, he's telling them about sickening things and how he hurts children. And they have to sit and question him while acting as calm as if he's talking about something normal. Meanwhile, they think he belongs in prison, but can't put him there (I don't know if he ever went, but he needed to go away for life). I think this took a lot of self control, meanwhile he's working them like he works everybody.

Then the D.A. drops the case against Adcox... I just think in the midst of all of this maybe Adcox sold a load to someone. Maybe.

I think I will do a quick outline of Kathy's case here for people who are just finding the thread.

Kathy was 12 years old and had blonde hair and blue eyes. She had been given a pair of rollerskates (white leather boot skates) as well as $1. She was going to go to the All Weather Rollerdrome and Krispy Kreme. Both of these were located on Thompson Lane (523Thompson Lane for the rollerdrome. it's no longer there. And 408 for the Kripsy Kreme. The original store is gone, but there is a Krispy Kreme still at that location.)

The Rollerdrome had a bus to drive kids to and fro from the neighborhood Kathy lived in and it mainly ran on Saturdays. The driver of the bus was Edward Warner Adcox. He was nearly prosecuted for Kathy's murder in 1977. He raped a little 8 year old boy sometime between 1969 and 1977. This is confirmed by Nashville police.

Kathy lived at 304 Lutie Street, Nashville. This is in the Woodbine neighborhood. Her house was built in 1945. The houses in the neighborhood still look similar to the way they looked in 1969. The houses are pretty close together, but otherwise just regular 2-3 bedroom houses. The neighborhood was working class to middle class. It was considered to be a safe neighborhood.

November 29, 1969 was a cold day. Although earlier in the day, it was warm enough a little girl might want to go for a walk to the skating rink and doughnut shop. The night temperature got down to 23 degrees. This is bitterly cold to a little Nashville girl, so that as well as the late hour she would've gotten home make me believe the 7:45 time in articles is when Kathy's mother Nora called the police.

I've always been told Kathy was told to come home by dark. Sunset was at 4:30. It would have been full dark by 5 p.m.. The moon was waning, but 73% full still when it rose later that night.

November 29, 1969 was a Saturday. It was also part of the Thanksgiving weekend. There may have been people in Kathy's neighborhood who weren't normally around... friends of friends of Kathy's. Several little girls in the neighborhood were good friends of Kathy's. These little girls attended Woodbine Elementary School.

Some people saw Kathy walking toward Thompson Lane carrying her skates. But, somewhere along the way she disappeared. For some reason, it is unknown if she disappeared enroute to these places or if she made it to one or both.. basically, the case is missing exactly where Kathy went missing.

Kathy was found dead in a weed covered lot behind the Krispy Kreme. Her hands were bound. Her clothing was wadded up and thrown down beside her. Her purse and skates were thrown down as well. She had suffocated on a sock that had been stuffed down her threat. She was found Monday December 2 around noon. The coroner decided she'd probably died Sunday December 1.

Kathy had been viciously raped. She had a very bad neck wound as well as some wounds to her chest. She had also been beaten very, very badly. She had bruises that looked black. By at least 1998, Kathy's murder was considered by police to be the worst child murder in the history of Nashville. This is the opinion of police who were not at the original scene, but have seen the photos. (ETA: And definitely by the police who actually saw her body where it was left.)

They polygraphed some individuals. The police say they investigated heavily for six months, then got pulled onto other things. They have gone back over Kathy's case several times over the years. This is the truth because they have contacted people in my family and reinterviewed them.

My father saw Kathy before she was fixed up for her funeral, but not at the crime scene. He always said a "nurse" told him that Kathy had been beaten by "someone with big fists". My father was convinced Edward Warner Adcox had done it. But, other member of my family believe someone else did it (a certain person named Russell whose last name is in the title of the thread). I do not know who murdered Kathy. My father died so I cannot ask him about this.

Many people in my family have died. This is why it seems no one is pushing for Kathy's case to be solved. There aren't as many of us as there used to be. But, no one has forgotten about Kathy. Nora and her sisters Linda and Faye (all three are now deceased) were torn up about this. At this point, Kathy's younger brother Kelly has also died. I'm crying thinking of Kelly... he was a nice guy. But, Kathy's immediate family is with her again.

I am going to call Pat Postilgione who is the head of Nashville's Cold Case divison. I needed to make a list of questions for him:

1. The neck wound.. was it made before or after Kathy died? Was Kathy's neck broken?

2. Edward Warne Adcox.. why was the case against him dropped? Is he even still alive?

3. Do they know if Kathy ever made it to the Rollerdrome or Kripsy Kreme?

4. Did Kathy have any money with her when she was found (the $1)?

5. Were any fingerprints found on Kathy's purse?

6. Is it possible that there was more than one murderer who attacked and killed Kathy?

7. It is possible that Franklin Floyd was involved in this murder as he was lurking around this general part of the country and likes blue eyed blonde children? Is it possible Billy Floyd (the above's brother) was involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pakaberry