GUILTY CA - Gerardo Hernandez, 39, TSA agent, killed, 3 injured in LAX shooting, 1 Nov 2013

No, not afraid of a cavity search...omg I never even thought of that. It's embarrassing bc a tampon & string do show up...just not on the screen in the front to the public.
I don't believe that!

I disagree. The sensitivity levels can be turned up or down. I used to make hand scanners- they don't detect lint or chemical weapons. Body scanners are silhouettes. It's a myth that they show private parts. If I still used them, I wouldn't hesitate to go through one wearing a pad or a tampon.

No, you misunderstand me. I'm talking about the full body scanner, the one that you stand in with your legs spread and your arms up and spread as well. You stand still, look straight forward, then the huge scan goes side to side a few times. I'm not talking about the scanner a person just walks right through. Those are the ones that kids & old people go through. Everybody else goes through the ultra scanner lol. The scanner I'm talking about most certainly shows alot, just not to the public. They're not in all airports but they are in Philly, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, LAX.

Re lint setting it off - yes it does. It happened to me. They told me it was either lint (which wasn't on my sweater at all btw) or my long hair. It flagged my left back rib area, so hey had to search me. It was a little embarrassing but I made a joke about it. They were very professional. This was in Jan when my husband & I flew to Orlando from Philly. Well I didn't think much about it & legit go, until we were flying back & the same thing happened in Orlando - same spot! I was wearing entirely different clothes! I got home & called TSA right away. They told me they don't "flag" names unless on a terror list or whatever. I said well somebody needs to tell me why this just happened to me twice. She said she had no idea & told me the new machines are very sensitive. She gave me the same shpeel about lint. I then called my doctor who sent me for X-rays bc all I could think is something's wrong for this to happen in the exact same place, i was a little freaked out. Nothing at all showed up. Everything was normal.

I flew back to Orlando in August - ditto what happened. I was told it was my hair. I have straight brown hair to the middle of my back. I wore a tank top, Hollister jeggings, flip flops & a zip up hoodie. No lint on anything. TSA said it was my hair lol. That was Philly. It didn't happen again in Orlando on the way back.

No, you misunderstand me. I'm talking about the full body scanner, the one that you stand in with your legs spread and your arms up and spread as well. You stand still, look straight forward, then the huge scan goes side to side a few times. I'm not talking about the scanner a person just walks right through. Those are the ones that kids & old people go through. Everybody else goes through the ultra scanner lol. The scanner I'm talking about most certainly shows alot, just not to the public. They're not in all airports but they are in Philly, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, LAX.

Re lint setting it off - yes it does. It happened to me. They told me it was either lint (which wasn't on my sweater at all btw) or my long hair. It flagged my left back rib area, so hey had to search me. It was a little embarrassing but I made a joke about it. They were very professional. This was in Jan when my husband & I flew to Orlando from Philly. Well I didn't think much about it & legit go, until we were flying back & the same thing happened in Orlando - same spot! I was wearing entirely different clothes! I got home & called TSA right away. They told me they don't "flag" names unless on a terror list or whatever. I said well somebody needs to tell me why this just happened to me twice. She said she had no idea & told me the new machines are very sensitive. She gave me the same shpeel about lint. I then called my doctor who sent me for X-rays bc all I could think is something's wrong for this to happen in the exact same place, i was a little freaked out. Nothing at all showed up. Everything was normal.

I flew back to Orlando in August - ditto what happened. I was told it was my hair. I have straight brown hair to the middle of my back. I wore a tank top, Hollister jeggings, flip flops & a zip up hoodie. No lint on anything. TSA said it was my hair lol. That was Philly. It didn't happen again in Orlando on the way back.
I'd still go through it. A little inconvience is worth the price of safety. I don't buy all the TSA is groping people garbage. They aren't sexually interested in the 100's and thousands of people that pass through. They are doing their jobs and I applaud them!!

I am so very very very sad...

That sticker is still on the stop sign. :( It's on the stop sign at the end of the road between Ciancia's father's house and his shop. I don't know if its on the stop sign all the way at the other end, but there weren't anymore on any side roads that I saw. The sign is too high for me to reach & I don't have a portable ladder to go scrub it off. I called it into a friend of mine at the Rec Dept. If they can't deal with it, they'll be able to refer it to whomever does.

It's crazy to me bc people around here hunt. There's shooting ranges. There's sports men's clubs, etc. It's a very small town where everyone either knows everyone or is familiar with everyone iykwim. That sticker was placed there to mess with Paul Sr & it's just not right. He's "good people"...truly. His son's an azzahola for what he did & hopefully he's punished accordingly, but his family and neighbors don't deserve the harassment they've been getting.

When I say small town - I'm talking small. Everyone is embarrassed and devastated for all victims involved in this atrocity. The mood in our whole town is somber. Even kids in the HS are upset. Some of the teachers are upset. Most of the cops and sheriff's officers are upset. To see propaganda being stuck on a sign down the street from Mr Ciancia makes me hurt even more for him.

What does the sticker say? thanks

I'd still go through it. A little inconvience is worth the price of safety. I don't buy all the TSA is groping people garbage. They aren't sexually interested in the 100's and thousands of people that pass through. They are doing their jobs and I applaud them!!

Oh I totally agree with you 100% on this. I don't even view it as an inconvenience in today's day & time. I'd rather everybody be thoroughly searched, including myself. I feel much more protected and secure flying. I also agree that not all TSA "grope" people. I think it's just like any other job where a human has room for error. There's hidden cameras in most dressing rooms across America. I'm sure there's some perverted security there, too. It's everywhere. Still, I'd take the trade off. I don't mind being searched, even if I do happen to get a little embarrassed.

Your hair set off the body scanner that's weird.
I believe you- I just wondered if they didn't flag your name so they double check each time, using your hair as an excuse.

What does the sticker say? thanks

Something about InfoWars, gun something or other, govt something. I'll ride by tomorrow & if its still there I'll just back my car up to it & try to scrub it off. It shouldn't be on the sop sign anyway. With everything Mr Ciancia & everyone else is going through right now, just to see even a hint of conspiracy anything posted near his home & place of business is totally nasty & hurtful. This man would give the shirt off his back to a perfect stranger. It was put up during the time media was hounding him & his neighbors. Wo knows how it got there. One things for sure - they were either really tall or stood on top of something to smooth it on all the way across. Again, just a sensitive time I guess. Nobody ever thinks this stuff will happen to somebody they know or are acquainted with. Throws us all through a loop when it does.

Side note - it doesn't say anything bad. It's the intent behind it. Bc of the background with what Paul did at LAX, that sticker posted down the street from his dad is in really bad taste. It's disrespectful.

Your hair set off the body scanner that's weird.
I believe you- I just wondered if they didn't flag your name so they double check each time, using your hair as an excuse.

That's exactly what I thought, to flag my name for the ride back to just double check or something. The lady at TSA told me they definitely don't do that. I laughed it off & told her I appreciate the safety precautions but that I was worried maybe something was wrong with me. I was sick, hacking & coughing, when we flew back. X-rays showed nothing at all - no pneumonia, no tumor lol, nothing. So it was weird definitely.

Something about InfoWars, gun something or other, govt something. I'll ride by tomorrow & if its still there I'll just back my car up to it & try to scrub it off. It shouldn't be on the sop sign anyway. With everything Mr Ciancia & everyone else is going through right now, just to see even a hint of conspiracy anything posted near his home & place of business is totally nasty & hurtful. This man would give the shirt off his back to a perfect stranger. It was put up during the time media was hounding him & his neighbors. Wo knows how it got there. One things for sure - they were either really tall or stood on top of something to smooth it on all the way across. Again, just a sensitive time I guess. Nobody ever thinks this stuff will happen to somebody they know or are acquainted with. Throws us all through a loop when it does.

Side note - it doesn't say anything bad. It's the intent behind it. Bc of the background with what Paul did at LAX, that sticker posted down the street from his dad is in really bad taste. It's disrespectful.

Understandable and your are a good neighbor to his family in time of crisis. xoxo

That's exactly what I thought, to flag my name for the ride back to just double check or something. The lady at TSA told me they definitely don't do that. I laughed it off & told her I appreciate the safety precautions but that I was worried maybe something was wrong with me. I was sick, hacking & coughing, when we flew back. X-rays showed nothing at all - no pneumonia, no tumor lol, nothing. So it was weird definitely.

That would have certainly freaked me out too- including starting to think someone put something in my back that's metal. tinfoil paranoia time! :)

No, not afraid of a cavity search...omg I never even thought of that. It's embarrassing bc a tampon & string do show up...just not on the screen in the front to the public.

I don't believe that!

Linask, this is from 2010. The scanners have even better technology now, and less radiation (next to nothing).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/b...l=1&adxnnlx=1383691436-ocgS3Fv5fWwUFF0JrXCRUg

Screening Protests Grow as Holiday Crunch Looms
By JOE SHARKEY
Published: November 15, 2010

Snipped:
Judging from the intense reader reaction I’ve had on this subject, questions abound about what to expect at the checkpoint, especially as more people are now routinely being directed by screeners to use the new machines, even when an old-fashioned metal detector is available. The scanners detect anything on the body, including a slip of paper in a pocket. An alarm necessitates a pat down.

On Nov. 1, screeners began using a far more invasive form of procedure for all pat-downs — in which women’s breasts and all passengers’ genital areas are patted firmly. Since that change happened to coincide with the accelerated introduction of the body scanning machines, many fliers began expressing their dismay on blogs, fanning anti-T.S.A. reactions.

Snipped:
I’m getting a lot of questions about the new security regime, including some pointed ones from women. Do the imagers, for example, detect sanitary napkins? Yes. Does that then necessitate a pat-down? The T.S.A. couldn’t say. Screeners, the T.S.A. has said, are expected to exercise some discretion.

That would have certainly freaked me out too- including starting to think someone put something in my back that's metal. tinfoil paranoia time! :)

I fell & hurt my left side last Christmas, thought I actually fractured my left ribs...but I didn't. Anyway, that's what I was thinking about, like maybe I had a sliver of my rib floating around or something. I think this is why my doctor ordered the X-rays, paired with the scanner going off twice...

Linask, this is from 2010. The scanners have even better technology now, and less radiation (next to nothing).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/b...l=1&adxnnlx=1383691436-ocgS3Fv5fWwUFF0JrXCRUg

Screening Protests Grow as Holiday Crunch Looms
By JOE SHARKEY
Published: November 15, 2010

Snipped:
Judging from the intense reader reaction I’ve had on this subject, questions abound about what to expect at the checkpoint, especially as more people are now routinely being directed by screeners to use the new machines, even when an old-fashioned metal detector is available. The scanners detect anything on the body, including a slip of paper in a pocket. An alarm necessitates a pat down.

On Nov. 1, screeners began using a far more invasive form of procedure for all pat-downs — in which women’s breasts and all passengers’ genital areas are patted firmly. Since that change happened to coincide with the accelerated introduction of the body scanning machines, many fliers began expressing their dismay on blogs, fanning anti-T.S.A. reactions.

Snipped:
I’m getting a lot of questions about the new security regime, including some pointed ones from women. Do the imagers, for example, detect sanitary napkins? Yes. Does that then necessitate a pat-down? The T.S.A. couldn’t say. Screeners, the T.S.A. has said, are expected to exercise some discretion.

How embarrassing to be pat down in your gential area while on your period in front of strangers. oh god. :(

Which finger, JG?

And was that directed at me? :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh: Omg this really made me laugh out loud! No, not giving the finger. I was suggesting maybe cops asked him before he passed put how many gunmen there were...maybe Paul held up 1 finger. His molar was shot out of his jaw & his tongue split. I seriously can't see him belong able to hold a conversation. I mean, just thinking about what a sissy I was when I had a filling, truly can't imagine having a molar blown through my jaw. Ewww...

:floorlaugh: Omg this really made me laugh out loud! No, not giving the finger. I was suggesting maybe cops asked him before he passed put how many gunmen there were...maybe Paul held up 1 finger. His molar was shot out of his jaw & his tongue split. I seriously can't see him belong able to hold a conversation. I mean, just thinking about what a sissy I was when I had a filling, truly can't imagine having a molar blown through my jaw. Ewww...

His mugshot doesn't show any damage to his jaw/neck. I think the media posted another photo and misprinted it as his mugshot.

His mugshot doesn't show any damage to his jaw/neck. I think the media posted another photo and misprinted it as his mugshot.

I've been told he lost at least one tooth from being shot through his jaw. This was the same shot that busted his tongue. Half his face wasn't blown away like some media reports were leaning toward. I think it was small caliber, not a big shell that would've blown his head apart. I think officers were trying to take him alive and that's the only reason he's not dead. It's my belief that in the case of home grown terrorism, authorities are trying to learn from them. Then maybe when they learn as much as they can, they become disposable.

WoooooHooooo... Look what I just came across... So they'll still be secure yet not as invasive! Awesome...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/us/tsa-to-remove-invasive-body-scanners.html?_r=0

Unpopular Full-Body Scanners to Be Removed From Airports
By RON NIXON
Published: January 18, 2013

Snipped:
WASHINGTON — After years of complaints by passengers and members of Congress, the Transportation Security Administration said Friday that it would begin removing the controversial full-body scanners that produce revealing images of airline travelers beginning this summer.

Snipped:
The removal of the Rapiscan scanners does not mean that all full-body scanners will be removed from airport security checkpoints. A second type of full-body scanner does not produce revealing images. Instead, it makes an avatar-like projection on security screens.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/01/18/naked-airport-scanners/1845851/

TSA dumps near-naked Rapiscan body scanners
Bart Jansen, USA TODAY 3:48 p.m. EST January 18, 2013

Snipped:
But it was privacy concerns — not radiation — that prompted the TSA to make the move. Because of the concerns, TSA officers had to monitor the near-nude images of passengers on Rapiscan monitors in private rooms away from checkpoints. They then relayed messages to checkpoints if any suspicious objects were detected. And that also takes longer.

"By June 2013 travelers will only see machines which have (cartoon images) that allow for faster throughput," TSA said in its statement. "This means faster lanes for the traveler and enhanced security."

Travelers are allowed to refuse a full-body scan, regardless of the machine, in favor of a pat-down by TSA officers.

If he had flown of out of LAX a few times and had bad experiences then THAT may have started his fixation on the TSA, the online propaganda may have had little or nothing to do with it.

For many folks airport security checks and the TSA is one of the only times we really feel the real life "in your face" sting of the government abusing their power and mocking citizens in the process. We may READ about it online but experiencing it personally is completely different.

Personally, I think there was more going on than his hatred for the TSA.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/11/08...ed:+893KpccSouthernCaliforniaNews+(KPCC:+News)

Judge appoints attorney for accused LAX shooter Paul Ciancia over objections from police seeking to interview him
Rina Palta | November 8th, 2013, 11:02am

Snipped:
U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Eick appointed a public defender to represent Ciancia on Monday, over the objections of the U.S. Attorney's Office. According to court filings, investigators in the case had hoped to interview Ciancia before he acquired representation "on the possible existence of co-conspirators, organizational support for his actions, and other violent plots about which Ciancia could have knowledge."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby_Cluebie_Doo
Back