GUILTY CA - Gerardo Hernandez, 39, TSA agent, killed, 3 injured in LAX shooting, 1 Nov 2013

I know there was certainly not much that occurred during GWB's tenure with which I agreed, but increased security not just at airports, but across the board, was one of them. I actually applauded the Bush administration and the Dept of HS.

I'm awfully liberal, but after 9/11 I was actually glad for the extra safeguards, even if it was not as convenient as before. And as for invading my privacy, meh. If the feds want to be bored to death, listen away. The world wasn't the same place anymore, and incidents like this one prove it.

All this to say, the safety of our citizens is not/should not be a political issue. If I have to be inconvenienced so that society as a whole can be safer, then okey dokey.

The other thing that has been bugging me is that this man, who is obviously not rational, was influenced by some of the vitriolic propaganda that is just rampant, especially on the internet. Obviously there isn't a way to preemptively figure out who is unstable and filter out what they hear and read, but it still makes me hopping mad that these wings nuts spew their trash and incite folks who are easily influenced. :(

That's all. Just sad.
From a fellow Liberal, I feel the same way.

Los Angeles News
LAX shooting: Suspect did not make it to security checkpoint
Monday, November 04, 2013
KABC TV Los Angeles
By Rudabeh Shahbazi and Q McCray

"LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Officials on Monday said the TSA agent who was shot and killed at Los Angeles International Airport was not at the security checkpoint.

Airport officials clarified at an afternoon news conference that Gerardo Hernandez was fatally shot at the base of an escalator where he was checking people for boarding passes.

Arif Alikhan, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, said there had been reports that the shooter made it to the security checkpoint, but that is incorrect. Alikhan said Terminal 3 has three different levels and Hernandez was on the first floor. Gates for departures are on the third floor.

"That's important because a lot of what's been said about the police officer not being at the podium could have somehow prevented this horrific act from being committed, and in this particular case, that is simply not the case," said Alikhan."

More...

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9312672

I know there was certainly not much that occurred during GWB's tenure with which I agreed, but increased security not just at airports, but across the board, was one of them. I actually applauded the Bush administration and the Dept of HS.

I'm awfully liberal, but after 9/11 I was actually glad for the extra safeguards, even if it was not as convenient as before. And as for invading my privacy, meh. If the feds want to be bored to death, listen away. The world wasn't the same place anymore, and incidents like this one prove it.

All this to say, the safety of our citizens is not/should not be a political issue. If I have to be inconvenienced so that society as a whole can be safer, then okey dokey.

The other thing that has been bugging me is that this man, who is obviously not rational, was influenced by some of the vitriolic propaganda that is just rampant, especially on the internet. Obviously there isn't a way to preemptively figure out who is unstable and filter out what they hear and read, but it still makes me hopping mad that these wings nuts spew their trash and incite folks who are easily influenced. :(

That's all. Just sad.

BBM: Believe me, we are all influenced by vitriolic propaganda. It is just tough for some to see it or accept it.

BBM: Believe me, we are all influenced by vitriolic propaganda. It is just tough for some to see it or accept it.

I agree. But some poor folks are not in a position to make rational choices about the crap they are fed. :(

I agree. But some poor folks are not in a position to make rational choices about the crap they are fed. :(

Well, it is all about perspective. Most of us grew up believing in Santa Claus, Cinderella dreams, and many fairytales. We were lied to as children to believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. Harmless, perhaps? And as we grew older, we were additionally propagandized to buy into other "dreams" that in reality aren't true and may serve another agenda.

We all want to believe that we are sane and superior. I am just not that certain we really are. The social strain of living in our society is causing many cracks ..... no remedy in sight, I'm afraid.

Investigators look for answers in LAX shooting

LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT -- The man accused of killing a TSA officer at LAX remains unable to answer questions from police. But investigators are learning more about what may have driven him to open fire.

Authorities say the suspect, Paul Ciancia, is sedated and under 24 hour armed watch at a Southern California Hospital. He has not been able to speak to investigators, but they have learned that his roommate dropped him off at Terminal 3 Friday morning and had no idea what Ciancia was planning to do...

more at http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/state&id=9303116

Well, it is all about perspective. Most of us grew up believing in Santa Claus, Cinderella dreams, and many fairytales. We were lied to as children to believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. Harmless, perhaps? And as we grew older, we were additionally propagandized to buy into other "dreams" that in reality aren't true and may serve another agenda.

We all want to believe that we are sane and superior. I am just not that certain we really are. The social strain of living in our society is causing many cracks ..... no remedy in sight, I'm afraid.

But if this guy is, as some have speculated, suffering from schizophrenia, then he is not as capable of filtering as are those of us who are legally "sound".

Of course it is really all speculation and factually, this man is a murderer. No matter how you slice it.

Investigators look for answers in LAX shooting

LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT -- The man accused of killing a TSA officer at LAX remains unable to answer questions from police. But investigators are learning more about what may have driven him to open fire.

Authorities say the suspect, Paul Ciancia, is sedated and under 24 hour armed watch at a Southern California Hospital. He has not been able to speak to investigators, but they have learned that his roommate dropped him off at Terminal 3 Friday morning and had no idea what Ciancia was planning to do...

more at http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/state&id=9303116

So how in the hello did he tell investigators all the stuff he is alleged to have told them? Whaaaaa? :waitasec:

So how in the hello did he tell investigators all the stuff he is alleged to have told them? Whaaaaa? :waitasec:

Exactly what I was wondering also...even with the articles from this weekend and understanding he had injuries to his mouth, including per one article a sliced tongue.

:waitasec:

If he had flown of out of LAX a few times and had bad experiences then THAT may have started his fixation on the TSA, the online propaganda may have had little or nothing to do with it.

For many folks airport security checks and the TSA is one of the only times we really feel the real life "in your face" sting of the government abusing their power and mocking citizens in the process. We may READ about it online but experiencing it personally is completely different.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...reeners-Defies-Simple-Solution-230628941.html

Protecting Airport Screeners Defies Simple Solution
Officials were split over whether arming TSA agents would make them safer
By Patrick Healy | Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013 | Updated 3:49 AM PST

Snipped:

AFGE is suggesting "the development of a new class of TSA officers with law enforcement status." But Airport Police at Los Angeles are not convinced that's the best approach.

"Just doesn't make very much sense when you have trained professionals to do that job already," said Marshall McClain, President of the Los Angeles Airport Peace Officers Association.

"I'm not of the opinion that more guns mean more safety," said Airport Police Chief Patrick Gannon.

Until spring, it was standard procedure for airport police to assign an officer to a fixed post at every TSA screening station. But recently arrived Chief Gannon felt that officer could be more effective deployed in the public area in front of screening.

The officers association agreed, but does believe that screening stations need to be "hardened," according to McClain.

"We want to make sure nobody thinks it's a soft target, that our officers are prepared to handle anything that comes their way," McClain said.

However, more security at the screening station itself would not necessarily have protected TSA employee Gerardo Hernandez, whom the gunman encountered first Friday morning and shot to death.

*** Much more at link ...

http://venice.patch.com/groups/poli...sa-agent-recounts-fridays-deadly-scene-venice

Wounded TSA Agent Recounts Friday's Deadly Scene
The 36-year-old said he's just a regular person who was helping others during the incident.
Posted by Liz Spear (Editor) , November 04, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Snipped:
"I turned around and there was a gunman, and he shot me twice," Grigsby said.

As he moved further into the terminal, Grigsby said, people were asking him if he had been shot.

"All I could think about was helping them," he said. "I may be injured right now but my first concern is to take care of you.

"We don't know where the gunman is at, so I would like to make sure people are safe, and don't worry about me."

Did he specifically complain about ARMED guards? Many people hate the TSA but it isn't because of armed guards, it is because of their often rude attitude and the utterly ridiculous and hypocritical rules that seem to target native American citizens while often softening the rules dramatically for foreign born individuals.

I think his letter mentioned something about how unsecure an airport can be. I read something referring to how easy it is to get a gun into airports. Remember - he entered the terminal through an exit from the outside. I think this was past the "checkpoint" of TSA. This tells me that he may think the role of TSA is mundane & superficial, considering they watch people go through full body scans, then thoroughly pat down the people that may have flagged the scan for some reason or other.

These machines are very sensitive, lint can set them off. Not to be graphic but I'm saying this to put it in perspective - I don't know a single one of my female friends that frequently fly who are comfortable enough to wear a tampon, panty liner, or pad going through a scanner - so they go to the bathroom right before entering and take care of their most personal business. Yes, a tampon shows. It won't show on the screen that the public sees but rather in another room with the same feed from the scanner.

So, when considering where Paul entered the terminal, maybe he was crazily trying to show how senseless it is for TSA to search the way they do "for safety & security" purposes when a person can enter the airport with a gun anyway. Exits aren't secure. They never have been. They still aren't.

Either the govt will appt guards at exits outside & inside sporadically, or more surveillance cameras need to be in place.

Oh my god I am so fuming pissed right now! Either the media are attempting to make this more salacious than what it already is or some deranged morons wanna add more fuel to the fire! I am on Pittsfield almost every single day - either by car, bike or foot - and this InfoWars jargon wasn't there before the LAX shootings! If there's stickers on these stop signs now, then they were just freaking added since Friday! No way in the world were they there on any single date before these shootings by Paul occurred. I know this for a personal fact! Wth is wrong with people? Our whole community is hugely concerned for the victims - including the Ciancia family - and this crap just adds to the heap of misery. Everybody's already confused & hurt, so enough of the brainwashing crappola!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...shooters-family-issues-statement-of-sympathy/

CBS/AP/ November 5, 2013, 11:54 AM
Alleged LAX shooter's family issues statement of sympathy

Snipped:
Stop signs at either end of the Ciancia's family's street in New Jersey were adorned with sticker advertising Infowars.com, a website that discusses many of the same anti-government ideas officials said Ciancia addressed in a hand-written note found in his duffel bag. There's no way to tell who put the stickers on the signs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back