GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

vls12345

Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread yet...

Police say a 52-year-old man from Prior Lake, Minnesota went on a stabbing spree while tubing on the Apple River in Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon, killing a 17-year-old boy, who was also from Minnesota, and critically injuring four other people.

The suspect was not previously known to local law enforcement and is currently in custody at the St. Croix County Jail, pending charges, according to St. Croix County Sheriff Scott Knudson.

Some of the people who came to the rescue of five people stabbed while tubing down Apple River in Wisconsin recounted the terrifying moments as they encountered the wounded victims.

Miu will appear at St. Croix County Circuit Court at 1pm, and is being recommended for one charge of first-degree homicide, which carries a life sentence in prison in Wisconsin if convicted.

He is also being recommended for four counts of mayhem, and four counts of aggravated battery with the use of a dangerous weapon with the intention to cause great bodily harm.

His FB page

This article at HEAVY.com at first read was confusing. His FB says he is currently married but the article later refers to his divorce from his 1st wife which makes things confusing.

According to his Facebook page, which is under the name Nick Miu, Miu “works at Ritchie,” went to Robbinsdale Armstrong Senior High, studied mechanical engineering at South Dakota State University, lives in Prior Lake, Minnesota, and is from Bloomington, Minnesota. He is married, according to his Facebook page.
[snip]
The suspect was with a group of six to eight people, and the victims were in another group. The sheriff said authorities want to interview about 15 to 20 people. Authorities aren’t sure what started the incident.
[snip]
Miu is divorced. However, no criminal history comes up for him in Minnesota court records.
Nicolae Miu, Apple River Stabbing Suspect: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
--------------------------------------
What on earth. I feel for anyone there on the river that day. I've done many float trips and THIS right here is something nobody expects. Sounds like from some of the articles linked above he was on the prowl for teen girls. Uggh
-------------------------------------
He is scheduled to appear in court at 1 p.m. Monday. News 18 will be present at the courthouse and will give more information as new details become available.
Man accused of stabbing five, killing one on Apple River to appear in court

Gun-Loving MAGA Fan Held in Connection With Tubing Murder, Cops Say

I watched this live but the audio was bad (or my connection was) so I couldn't hear all of it. I will need to wait to see a published account of all that was said.

From what I could hear/see, the Honorable R. Michael Waterman was presiding. The state asked for bail (full cash amount) of $500k cash, absolute sobriety, no dangerous weapons. Defense (public defender helping for now) suggested GPS ankle monitor & $50k, along with absolute sobriety & no dangerous weapons (did ask for that to be defined). I did hear the judge say the GPS ankle monitor would be applied & that Miu is not to go within a half mile of the victims' homes (or the home of the deceased victim's family). I could not hear an amount as the audio was intermittent & kept freezing.

The judge did set a status conference for August 5 where Miu will have to say if he's retaining his own attorney or not. Preliminary hearing is set for August 12 at 10 a.m.

Fyi, Miu was appearing via video while the prosecution & defense were in the courtroom with the judge.

Again, just my transcription with very bad audio. MOO.

Last edited:
$1M cash bond. Thank you, Hon. Judge Waterman.

The defense lawyer asked for a bond of $50,000 and a GPS ankle monitor. The state had asked for a $500,000 cash bond. Judge Michael Waterman said a $1 million cash bond was reasonable and appropriate given that this was a violent crime. Conditions of that bond include absolute sobriety, no dangerous weapons, GPS monitoring, and not being allowed near the victims or their homes.

[snip]
Nicolae Miu, 52, was charged in St. Croix County, Wisconsin, with one count of first-degree intentional homicide and four counts of attempted first-degree homicide on Monday. The station reports bail was set at $1 million — double the amount requested by prosecutors.
[snip]
Witnesses saw the stabbings and took a photo of Miu, which allowed police to capture him following a 90-minute search and evacuation of the river.
[snip]
CBS Minnesota reports that according to the criminal complaint, multiple videos that have been taken into evidence which show Miu interacting with the group, who can be heard telling him to go away. The video shows Miu appearing to look for something, but the complaint says some of those on the scene believed he was "looking for little girls," and accused him of being a child molester.
[snip]

More details from the criminal complaint here:

[snip]

In the complaint, prosecutors describe a video of the incident that reflects the defendant swimming up to a group of juveniles with a diving mask and snorkel and grabbing their tubes. The video reportedly shows multiple people surround Miu and yelling at him, capturing members of the group accusing the defendant of "looking for little girls." Prosecutors maintain it was clear Miu had opportunity to walk away from the situation.

As the confrontation escalated, the video showed the group appearing to move toward the defendant, and he was pushed backwards into the water, according to the complaint.

Prosecutors said the video shows Miu get up with the knife in his hand before he's pushed back into the water by a tuber wearing yellow shorts. Court documents said as the tuber advanced to apparently shove him again the defendant stabbed him in the abdomen, and then used the knife to stab others.

[snip]

In the complaint, investigators said they spoke with a number of witnesses and members of the group involved in the confrontation who indicated Miu was bothering them. They supported what others told law enforcement, that the defendant was only physically confronted after he had punched a young female in the face.

More details from the criminal complaint here:

My DD was a lifeguard. They had to implement a no mask or snorkel policy because creepy dudes and curious preteen boys were using them to watch women and girls underwater. IYKWIK. I'm not sure if I buy that he was looking for a cellphone.

uggh. just read the complaint. Nic is a very poor liar.

He carried a knife in his pocket, confirmed by spouse, and observed by officers on the video taken by bystanders, but conveniently in Nic's story he claims he left his own knife back on shore at his vehicle. Isn't it convenient that two of his victims had knives, one of whom he disarmed, and was able to defend himself against the baseless attack.

Second, one of his companions lost their phone, which, according to his own wife's account was in a floaty bag meant to keep valuables from sinking in the river, but for some unknown reason he was looking UNDER the water using snorkels and mask and getting up close and personal enough to be touching the young peoples inner tubes, ostensibly as they were IN them.

Thirdly, his account of the two groups of young people he just finished "disarming" and defending himself against suddenly appeared to be fighting amongst themselves? Seriously, did he think that LE would believe he was some hapless victim of two groups of river thugs who then attacked and stabbed one another with knives?

GMAFB

This guy was being an *advertiser censored* and looking to prove his machismo to the younguns. They probably called him a perv for eyeing the girls, he got his manhood in a bunch, confronted the teens about drinking or accused them of stealing the alleged lost phone, they called another group of people over because he creeped them all out and wouldn't leave them alone, and then he upped the ante by stabbing people. Defending himself my behind. pfft

Status hearing today. Haven't seen updates as to what time/if it has happened yet. I believe this is a hearing where Miu will say whether he will have his own lawyer or will need assistance of lawyers from the court. (There was something in the previous court appearance that said it wouldn't be court-appointed lawyers, it was some other term, but I missed details because of the bad audio connection.) MOO.

Additional info in general:

[snip]
Since then, one of the injured victims has been identified as Ryhley Mattison, 24, of Bursnville, Minn. Mattison has started a page to help pay for medical expenses resulting from the attack. In a statement on that page, Mattison described the incident. “Some friends and I were tubing when we came a crossed a group who were asking for our help,” the statement reads. “My friends and I went over to see what was going on and there was an older man there being inappropriate and was asked to leave but wouldn’t. The older man ended up having a knife and stabbed a few friends of mine and myself included.”

According to the Pioneer Press, another victim was recently identified as A.J. Martin, 22, of Elk River, Minn. Martin’s uncle, Ryan Gram, has also started a , on Martin’s behalf. Gram wrote on the site that, on the day of the incident, “AJ joined his friends and his friend’s family members to celebrate a birthday. While tubing, he was stabbed in the abdomen resulting in serious injuries that left him in critical condition requiring a life flight to the hospital. Once at the hospital, he underwent extensive surgery and ICU care for his injuries. Since he has undergone an additional surgery with his third and hopefully his final scheduled for later this week, he remains hospitalized and it will be a long journey to recovery.”

The two other victims, men from Luck, Wis., 20 and 22, have still not been identified.
[snip]

Such a strange case. The guy was there tubing with his wife and has no criminal record. I wonder if any of them had been drinking which escalated whatever happened. Very tragic.
Nick claimed he had been drinking heavily all day. The girl also said she was drinking.

I live about 5 miles from where it happened. So very sad!!! I was a few blocks away as they were searching for Miu. Somerset is a very small town, alot of Revenue is made from tubers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back