CA- 6 people found shot to death in remote desert area of El Mirage - Jan 2024 *ARRESTS*

Great article, thanks Jo in Calif.

I'm unclear about one point: The article seems ambiguous about the $371 million. I wonder if the SBSO recover $371 million in cash or was the worth of the product seized $371 million? If the former, that's really stunning and very scary.
Probably estimated the street value of the product. Id be surprised if any cash was kept around illegal grows

Great article, thanks Jo in Calif.

I'm unclear about one point: The article seems ambiguous about the $371 million. I wonder if the SBSO recover $371 million in cash or was the worth of the product seized $371 million? If the former, that's really stunning and very scary.
That was a direct quote from SBC sheriff Shannon Dicus at the press conference.
He said and, not worth.

Probably estimated the street value of the product. Id be surprised if any cash was kept around illegal grows
Since the article also addresses the 74,000 pounds of marijuana seized, it seems to imply this was cash seized over the last year. Good for the State of California as they get to keep that money. But also just stunning when you realize that is likely just a drop in the bucket of what is out there.

Growers at illegal sites can avoid the expensive licensing fees and regulatory costs associated with legal farms. Violence is a looming threat at these operations, authorities said, because illicit harvests yield huge quantities of cash to operators who can’t use banks or law enforcement for protection.

Very good article. It clarifies that in 2023 in San Bernadino county alone, SBSO recovered 655,000 plants and $370 million ( in cash).

"Dicus said in 2023 his department served 411 search warrants for illegal marijuana grow sites countywide and recovered 655,000 plants and $370 million."

Here is the Sheriff's comment (with my emphasis):

California voters legalized recreational marijuana in 2016, and the state has become the WORLD'S LARGEST legal cannabis marketplace since then, with BILLIONS in annual sales. But the illegal market continues to thrive.

Dicus called the black market “a plague” that results in violence, and he called on lawmakers to reform cannabis laws to “keep legalization but revert to harsher penalties for users of illegal pot.”

Dicus called the black market “a plague” that results in violence, and he called on lawmakers to ...revert to harsher penalties for users of illegal pot.”[/U][/SIZE]

I don't agree that's what he said.
He specifically said he was not talking about going after recreational users. IMO he was clearly talking about mass growing, not consuming.

I'll reference this law site as what I believe he was talking about:
"Prior to Prop 64, sale or transportation of marijuana was a felony under Health & Safety Code 11360 HS. But now it is a misdemeanor for most defendants. The penalties include up to six (6) months in county jail, and/or a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000)."

There's a bit more about when it is a felony...

Disappointed to see AP make this apparent mistake (which will enflame the issue), they're supposed to be trustworthy.

JMO

Very good article. It clarifies that in 2023 in San Bernadino county alone, SBSO recovered 655,000 plants and $370 million ( in cash).

"Dicus said in 2023 his department served 411 search warrants for illegal marijuana grow sites countywide and recovered 655,000 plants and $370 million."

Here is the Sheriff's comment (with my emphasis):

California voters legalized recreational marijuana in 2016, and the state has become the WORLD'S LARGEST legal cannabis marketplace since then, with BILLIONS in annual sales. But the illegal market continues to thrive.

Dicus called the black market “a plague” that results in violence, and he called on lawmakers to reform cannabis laws to “keep legalization but revert to harsher penalties for users of illegal pot.”
Not users…. It should be growers or cultivators.

Curious how they were found so quickly. Can a cell tower dump be done that quickly? Looking through communications on the victims’ phones? And/or did the 9-1-1 call provide details that helped? Maybe the perpetrators didn’t know one called 9-1-1 and that’s why they didn’t release that detail until after the arrest. Reading people’s reactions to this crime, the expectation seemed to be that if it was an organized crime-related it, it probably wouldn’t be solved.

Growers at illegal sites can avoid the expensive licensing fees and regulatory costs associated with legal farms. Violence is a looming threat at these operations, authorities said, because illicit harvests yield huge quantities of cash to operators who can’t use banks or law enforcement for protection.

To me, $370M just doesn't make any sense. When they had one just a few years ago just west in LA County, they only found about $30k in cash in a bust with with over 300k plants and more than 30k tons of marijuana.

This is an operation they ran from 2021 to 2022 and only ended up with $1.6M in cash found. How was there that huge of a leap in money found in a year? $370M found during 411 search warrants is right around $900k average per location compared to $1.6M and 127 warrants for an average of $12.6k per location. Either someone was extremely stupid and the sheriff's department was extremely lucky in finding that much cash or that number isn't right.

To me, $370M just doesn't make any sense. When they had one just a few years ago just west in LA County, they only found about $30k in cash in a bust with with over 300k plants and more than 30k tons of marijuana.

This is an operation they ran from 2021 to 2022 and only ended up with $1.6M in cash found. How was there that huge of a leap in money found in a year? $370M found during 411 search warrants is right around $900k average per location compared to $1.6M and 127 warrants for an average of $12.6k per location. Either someone was extremely stupid and the sheriff's department was extremely lucky in finding that much cash or that number isn't right.

BBM: There's a bunch of numbers not right but that 30k tons is 60 MILLION lbs or almost a billion ounces. The entire legal market for CA is only about 5 Billion $$$ or at average retail $160/ounce about 31 million ounces. Granted standing marijuana weighs much more than ready-for-sale but there seems to be some decimal point slip here.

A couple of articles about the scale of these things:

Note that California lags far behind a bunch of legalized states in terms of legal sales per capita. Also note that in CA, the municipality, or the county, can elect to have no legal retail outlets and no permitted delivery operations. Just over a year ago, 61% of the CA population resided where there were no legal outlets.....An availability vacuum that we all know is going to be filled in some fashion, its simple entropy.

Interestingly, Michigan, with all its $-difficulties, leads the states in both Per Capita $ and Per Capita Purchase Weight. In fact, with only 26% of the population of CA, they have almost 65% of the legal total sales and 250% per capita sales. Michigan has plenty of fresh water but the climate would make it difficult to rationalize large scale grows. That leads to the conclusion: Some of these states (Montana, Michigan, Maine) would not have had a very extensive local grow prior to legalization and therefore used to be, and still are, dependent on supply from elsewhere. Which means there was no footing of prior-to-legalalization costs against post-legalization costs, they are and always have been reliant on outside grow sources and transportation. With the transport and distribution regulated, they gained greatly on the unit cost and cut a huge proportion out of prevention and enforcement costs. Last JMO.

BBM: There's a bunch of numbers not right but that 30k tons is 60 MILLION lbs or almost a billion ounces. The entire legal market for CA is only about 5 Billion $$$ or at average retail $160/ounce about 31 million ounces. Granted standing marijuana weighs much more than ready-for-sale but there seems to be some decimal point slip here.

A couple of articles about the scale of these things:

Note that California lags far behind a bunch of legalized states in terms of legal sales per capita. Also note that in CA, the municipality, or the county, can elect to have no legal retail outlets and no permitted delivery operations. Just over a year ago, 61% of the CA population resided where there were no legal outlets.....An availability vacuum that we all know is going to be filled in some fashion, its simple entropy.

Interestingly, Michigan, with all its $-difficulties, leads the states in both Per Capita $ and Per Capita Purchase Weight. In fact, with only 26% of the population of CA, they have almost 65% of the legal total sales and 250% per capita sales. Michigan has plenty of fresh water but the climate would make it difficult to rationalize large scale grows. That leads to the conclusion: Some of these states (Montana, Michigan, Maine) would not have had a very extensive local grow prior to legalization and therefore used to be, and still are, dependent on supply from elsewhere. Which means there was no footing of prior-to-legalalization costs against post-legalization costs, they are and always have been reliant on outside grow sources and transportation. With the transport and distribution regulated, they gained greatly on the unit cost and cut a huge proportion out of prevention and enforcement costs. Last JMO.
Thanks for correcting my mistake, not sure why I put tons instead of pounds.

Just a suggestion - I'm not willing to dig deep for proof - but this Sheriff appears in news media stories to be very keen on asset forfeiture - sell the vehicles, guns, even property or homes - and set much bigger daily fines on property owners of grow sites. Everything to make it appear to growers that any profit they try to make will flow into police enforcement against them. To discourage growers from even trying.

"Instead of playing whack-a-mole, like we do now where we take them down and they pop back up, my hope is that this ordinance will again make it inhospitable for illegal marijuana grows, and they’re going to choose to do that somewhere else rather than San Bernardino County.”

Just one example of this threatened strategy, from the DA:
“If those folks can’t remediate the properties through appropriate sentence(s) that we may get in this particular case, then we will work with the county to try to take that property and then sell that property,” he continued...

JMO

Just a suggestion - I'm not willing to dig deep for proof - but this Sheriff appears in news media stories to be very keen on asset forfeiture - sell the vehicles, guns, even property or homes - and set much bigger daily fines on property owners of grow sites. Everything to make it appear to growers that any profit they try to make will flow into police enforcement against them. To discourage growers from even trying.

"Instead of playing whack-a-mole, like we do now where we take them down and they pop back up, my hope is that this ordinance will again make it inhospitable for illegal marijuana grows, and they’re going to choose to do that somewhere else rather than San Bernardino County.”

Just one example of this threatened strategy, from the DA:
“If those folks can’t remediate the properties through appropriate sentence(s) that we may get in this particular case, then we will work with the county to try to take that property and then sell that property,” he continued...

JMO
I could possibly see that much depending on what was seized and how big the fines were. That could be what he was talking about about but the way it came out makes it seem like it was all cash taken from the grows.

I could possibly see that much depending on what was seized and how big the fines were. That could be what he was talking about about but the way it came out makes it seem like it was all cash taken from the grows.
Yes, but in one of those articles, he says he has an MA in Communications.

A communications saavy person thinks in terms of maximizing the impact of the message. They automatically simplify and "massage" data so as to hit their audience with something that will impress them. How many growers and potential growers would be watching that press conference (vs reading annual reports).

JMO

Yes, but in one of those articles, he says he has an MA in Communications.

A communications saavy person thinks in terms of maximizing the impact of the message. They automatically simplify and "massage" data so as to hit their audience with something that will impress them. How many growers and potential growers would be watching that press conference (vs reading annual reports).

JMO
Which I can see and it's a smart thing to do. It was honestly something that hadn't crossed my mind

Certain US Indian tribes also did the same thing with dry farming. They just did not have plastic sheeting and wire mesh in the olde days. But.... the ideas were the same: careful waterings at select times to maximize efficiency, care use of rocks etc. for moisture retention, careful selection of garden site to take advantage of any retained water underground after rains.
The official term for this is "xeriscaping."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor
Back