Still Missing KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #4 *arrest in 2023*

Isn't JL the one who allegedly drove Crystal's car? Does anyone know if he was paraplegic at that time? Or did something happen to him afterwards that left him paraplegic? Just wondering how he drove her car, since cars are usually adapted for use by paraplegic drivers.

Also, Brook has a current girlfriend with the same name, Crystal? That gives me chills.

Isn't JL the one who allegedly drove Crystal's car? Does anyone know if he was paraplegic at that time? Or did something happen to him afterwards that left him paraplegic? Just wondering how he drove her car, since cars are usually adapted for use by paraplegic drivers.

Also, Brook has a current girlfriend with the same name, Crystal? That gives me chills.
Lawson is a paraplegic in a wheelchair, having been injured in a motorcycle accident in 2021. Physically, he requires extensive treatment and is incontinent. He has "voiced suicidal thoughts" and been placed on watch while incarcerated, according to court records.

Even after his injury, one alleged assault victim wrote a judge saying that while authorities may believe Lawson was "no longer capable of harming anyone anymore," he has "become far more aggressive and needs to be stopped."

• Updated Sep 29, 2023

Thank you! :)

@arielilane - can you see what Joseph's hearing is called & at what time? I have a pretrial for Houck & Steve L a status hearing both at 1pm. TIA!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

edited to add - anyone know DOB on Steve? TIA! :D
I'm sorry, @Niner -- for no response. I missed your post from last month. :)

Lawson is a paraplegic in a wheelchair, having been injured in a motorcycle accident in 2021. Physically, he requires extensive treatment and is incontinent. He has "voiced suicidal thoughts" and been placed on watch while incarcerated, according to court records.

Even after his injury, one alleged assault victim wrote a judge saying that while authorities may believe Lawson was "no longer capable of harming anyone anymore," he has "become far more aggressive and needs to be stopped."

• Updated Sep 29, 2023
Thank you! I don't know how I missed that information before. I've been following this case since the beginning, but don't post often. My husband and I did a bourbon tour in the area right around the time she was reported missing. We saw all the signs in people's lawns about her, so when we got home I looked for her case here. Just heartbreaking. Glad they finally have enough evidence to charge her so-called boyfriend and his buddies.

1:43 p.m.
Young and the suspects attorneys believe a trial could begin in mid-February 2025 based on the complexity of the nature of the case itself.
But the defense said that's subject to them going through the discovery, which includes evidence in the Jason Ellis and Tommy Ballard case.
Finally! The ambush and murder of Jason Ellis has finally been mentioned in court! I have been waiting for this moment.

• Updated Sep 29, 2023
Is he being housed in a regular part of the jail? (I'm completely ignorant on these matters. If convicted, where would he be likely to be housed?)

FEB 8, 2023 see video of Shay McAllister's report at IG

"Trial is set in the murder of Crystal Rogers for February 2025... almost one year from now to the day. The court hearing today was quick… but telling… with all three suspects there together for the first time since their arrest."

edit to add apologies for it's already posted

Last edited:

Live updates​

2:03 p.m.
Ted Lavit spoke to media after the hearing.
He said this is the first time Joseph and Steve Lawson have seen each other since being arrested. He said the father and son said "sorry" to each other in passing.
1:58 p.m.
Simms said he will have a decision on the bond reduction by the end of day Monday.
1:53 p.m.
The prosecution objects to reduced bond due to the nature of Joseph Lawson's alleged crimes. An attorney points out his numerous prior felony convictions.
"The reason he is in prison today is because he could not follow the guidance of the courts," the attorney argued. "No reason to believe he could follow the rules today."

1:49 p.m.
Lawson's bond is currently set at $500,000. His attorney, Kevin Coleman, is looking to have the bond reduced to $50,000.
He's also asking for Lawson to be put on home incarceration. Previously, Simms approved a bond reduction for Steve Lawson.
Coleman said Joseph is paraplegic which lessens his ability to be a flight risk and a danger to others.
1:47 p.m.
Steven Lawson and Brooks Houck have been taken from the courtroom. The judge is now focusing on Joseph Lawson's bond reduction hearing.

1:46 p.m.
Young is looking to have all three men tried together, and all three defense attorneys agreed to the Feb. 10 trial date, but Houck's attorney believes there will be an objection to that eventually.

1:45 p.m.
Simms sets a trial date on Feb. 10, 2025 at 9 a.m.
Another status hearing will take place on March 21, 2024 at 1 p.m.
1:43 p.m.
Young and the suspects attorneys believe a trial could begin in mid-February 2025 based on the complexity of the nature of the case itself.
But the defense said that's subject to them going through the discovery, which includes evidence in the Jason Ellis and Tommy Ballard case.
1:42 p.m.
Young said over 1.1 terabytes of discovery has been turned over from three different agencies. He expects that to be completed on March 15.
Prosecution believes there is less than a terabyte to review.
1:39 p.m.
Brooks Houck has entered the courtroom.

1:38 p.m.
Joseph and Steven Lawson have entered the courtroom.
1:31 p.m.
Steve Lawson's attorney, Ted Lavit, and Brooks Houck's attorney, Brian Butler, have entered the courtroom and have sat down with a team of attorneys.

1:30 p.m.
A deputy motioned to Joseph Lawson's attorneys. It appears Lawson has arrived at the courthouse. Both attorneys have now gone upstairs.
Special Prosecutor Shane Young has entered the courtroom.
1:18 p.m.
Nelson County Sheriff Ramon Pineiroa told WHAS11 the holdup on the proceedings is because one of the suspects hasn't arrived at the courthouse yet.
Pineiroa did confirm all three suspects will physically be in the courtroom.
Judge Simms is currently having a private meeting with Brooks Houck and Steve Lawson's attorneys.
1:14 p.m.
Nelson County Judge Charles Simms has yet to enter the courtroom. The hearings were scheduled to begin 15 minutes earlier.

1:06 p.m.
Joseph Lawson's attorney, Kevin Coleman, has entered the courtroom. It's still unclear if Joseph's hearing will be the first of the day.
Attorney Ted Lavit, who represents Steve Lawson, briefly appeared in the courtroom minutes earlier, but deputies directed him to a meeting room upstairs.

12:38 p.m.
The courtroom is packed with community and media.

12:32 p.m.
Courtroom doors have opened for the family.
12:30 p.m.
Attorneys for all three suspects have been seen entering Nelson County District Court A. The courtroom doors have yet to open.
12:10 p.m.
Till Ballard, Crystal’s grandfather has arrived. Community members and family are filling up the Nelson County courthouse lobby waiting to be let in. the courtroom.

Credit: WHAS11 News
Till Ballard walks inside the courtroom, an hour ahead of the hearing for Brooks Houck, Steve Lawson and Joseph Lawson. | Feb. 8, 2024
12:01 p.m.
Brooks Houck’s mother Rosemary Houck and Brook’s girlfriend Crystal Maupin have arrived at the courthouse.
11:59 a.m.
Crystal’s mother, Sherry Ballard, has arrived with family members. She told WHAS11 she’s “nervous” for court hearings today.
Lawson. | Feb. 8, 2024

11:58 a.m.
WHAS11 is in Nelson County for court hearings in the Crystal Rogers case.
Doors to the courtroom are expected to open around 12:30 p.m.
What do you think that means, that evidence in this case includes evidence in the Tommy Ballard and Jason Ellis cases?

What do you think that means, that evidence in this case includes evidence in the Tommy Ballard and Jason Ellis cases?
In the case of Jason Ellis, I suspect strongly that it refers to police corruption. I think he was murdered for being honest and attempting to do his job properly.

Now....how would this connect to Tommy Ballard? Hmmm...which person, who has been mentioned in connection with this story, is (or was) a local law-enforcement officer connected to Brooks Houck and to the weapon reputed to have been used to shoot Tommy Ballard?

Case map link:

Let me know if the link still works. Also, I haven't updated since 2021. There are some digs missing from my map. I can add them, but I need to go back and list them all first.

Last edited:
Case map link:

Let me know if the link still works. Also, I haven't updated since 2021. There are some digs missing from my map. I can add them, but I need to go back and list them all first.

Map works fine -- glad to see you included the Netherlands.

In the case of Jason Ellis, I suspect strongly that it refers to police corruption. I think he was murdered for being honest and attempting to do his job properly.

Now....how would this connect to Tommy Ballard? Hmmm...which person, who has been mentioned in connection with this story, is (or was) a local law-enforcement officer connected to Brooks Houck and to the weapon reputed to have been used to shoot Tommy Ballard?
Do you expect that additional arrest(s) will happen before the deadline for the prosecution to turn over discovery? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back