Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to assemble some facts here because a lot is going around
  • Sterns resides at the Santa Maria Drive address I mentioned at the Venetian Bay Villages (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
  • LE has Maddie's phone, which was left at home (Fox 35)
  • Jenn says Maddie has ADHD and is very forgetful and would sometimes leave her phone at home (Fox 35)
    • Jenn later clarifies that Maddie was once diagnosed with autism, but she was re-evaluated a few months ago and the doctor said she had traits associated with autism, but was not autistic, and they confirmed the ADHD diagnosis. She also mentions anxiety.
  • Maddie told her friends she wanted to live in the woods after she turned 13. This information was found on her phone (Fox 35)
  • According to the Sheriff's office, Maddie was last seen wearing black shorts, a green sweatshirt, and white crocs. It is unclear how this is known (WESH)
  • Maddie may have her school laptop with her, but according to Jenn the school has attempted to ping it and it is off (Fox 35)
  • Jenn says Maddie's birthday was celebrated on Sunday, and Maddie wasn't on her phone or laptop after that before going to bed (Fox 35)
    • It's unclear if this means that Maddie didn't have access to her phone or laptop or if Jenn just didn't see any extended conversation
  • LE reports Sterns said Maddie had him drop her off a few blocks from school, at the Peace United Methodist Church (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
    • I've seen a few references to the church being on the other side of the highway from the school. While this is technically true, the school and church are on the same road which crosses under a highway. The walk between the two has a sidewalk with several feet of grass between the sidewalk and the street. (Google Maps route)
  • "Investigators" say Maddie was last seen near Town Loop Boulevard and Hunters Park Lane at 8:30 am (WFTV)
    • This is right next to Peace United Methodist Church but not necessarily the same as the church
    • It is unclear how she was seen or who she was seen by
  • LE reports Maddie's mother Jenn came to pick her up after school at 4:30 pm and found out she did not attend school that day (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
  • Jenn drove around to look for Maddie after this, thinking she may have walked to Jenn's mother's office nearby. She then contacted Maddie's friends who also hadn't seen her, and emailed her teacher who confirmed she hadn't been in. (Fox 35)
  • According to Jenn, she then went back to the school which was at this point closed
  • Sheriff John Mina says deputies met Jenn at the school, where she filed a missing persons report (WFTV)
    • No time is specified
  • The warrant request says Maddie was reported missing at around 8:00 pm (Emergency Warrant Request)
On surveillance of Maddie:
  • Jenn says she was seen hanging out in the church parking lot for a few minutes before walking toward the school (Fox 35 video)
  • Jenn says the video was a surveillance video from Peace Church, but that she was not allowed to see the video and that they wouldn't show the video to anyone (Fox 35 video)
  • Jenn says her "sister was at the location and they were letting her know what they saw on camera" (Fox 35 video)
    • It is not specified what the location is or who "they" are. Possibly the church/church officials, possibly the Sheriff's office/deputies
  • Sheriff John Mina says they obtained grainy surveillance footage but can't confirm it (Wednesday press conference)
    • I haven't seen more on what this means. Perhaps there is a person matching Maddie's description at the correct time, but they can't identify her face?

“Accidentally reset” his phone on the 26th - the day she is said to have disappeared?? Right then. Don’t most phones have a prompt to reset and a confirmation / warning step?? I’d like to have known the date the images were taken. A video interview I just watched of the mother - mom noted they celebrated her 13th bday with her entire family on the weekend. I think she said Sunday? And when they got home, the kid got ready and went directly to bed without using her phone etc.

“Accidentally reset” his phone on the 26th - the day she is said to have disappeared?? Right then. Don’t most phones have a prompt to reset and a confirmation / warning step?? I’d like to have known the date the images were taken. A video interview I just watched of the mother - mom noted they celebrated her 13th bday with her entire family on the weekend. I think she said Sunday? And when they got home, the kid got ready and went directly to bed without using her phone etc.
The affidavit states that the recovered images were from between 3/2022 and 12/2023

Trying to assemble some facts here because a lot is going around
  • Sterns resides at the Santa Maria Drive address I mentioned at the Venetian Bay Villages (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
  • LE has Maddie's phone, which was left at home (Fox 35)
  • Jenn says Maddie has ADHD and is very forgetful and would sometimes leave her phone at home (Fox 35)
    • Jenn later clarifies that Maddie was once diagnosed with autism, but she was re-evaluated a few months ago and the doctor said she had traits associated with autism, but was not autistic, and they confirmed the ADHD diagnosis. She also mentions anxiety.
  • Maddie told her friends she wanted to live in the woods after she turned 13. This information was found on her phone (Fox 35)
  • According to the Sheriff's office, Maddie was last seen wearing black shorts, a green sweatshirt, and white crocs. It is unclear how this is known (WESH)
  • Maddie may have her school laptop with her, but according to Jenn the school has attempted to ping it and it is off (Fox 35)
  • Jenn says Maddie's birthday was celebrated on Sunday, and Maddie wasn't on her phone or laptop after that before going to bed (Fox 35)
    • It's unclear if this means that Maddie didn't have access to her phone or laptop or if Jenn just didn't see any extended conversation
  • LE reports Sterns said Maddie had him drop her off a few blocks from school, at the Peace United Methodist Church (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
    • I've seen a few references to the church being on the other side of the highway from the school. While this is technically true, the school and church are on the same road which crosses under a highway. The walk between the two has a sidewalk with several feet of grass between the sidewalk and the street. (Google Maps route)
  • "Investigators" say Maddie was last seen near Town Loop Boulevard and Hunters Park Lane at 8:30 am (WFTV)
    • This is right next to Peace United Methodist Church but not necessarily the same as the church
    • It is unclear how she was seen or who she was seen by
  • LE reports Maddie's mother Jenn came to pick her up after school at 4:30 pm and found out she did not attend school that day (Emergency Warrant Request) (WESH)
  • Jenn drove around to look for Maddie after this, thinking she may have walked to Jenn's mother's office nearby. She then contacted Maddie's friends who also hadn't seen her, and emailed her teacher who confirmed she hadn't been in. (Fox 35)
  • According to Jenn, she then went back to the school which was at this point closed
  • Sheriff John Mina says deputies met Jenn at the school, where she filed a missing persons report (WFTV)
    • No time is specified
  • The warrant request says Maddie was reported missing at around 8:00 pm (Emergency Warrant Request)
On surveillance of Maddie:
  • Jenn says she was seen hanging out in the church parking lot for a few minutes before walking toward the school (Fox 35 video)
  • Jenn says the video was a surveillance video from Peace Church, but that she was not allowed to see the video and that they wouldn't show the video to anyone (Fox 35 video)
  • Jenn says her "sister was at the location and they were letting her know what they saw on camera" (Fox 35 video)
    • It is not specified what the location is or who "they" are. Possibly the church/church officials, possibly the Sheriff's office/deputies
  • Sheriff John Mina says they obtained grainy surveillance footage but can't confirm it (Wednesday press conference)
    • I haven't seen more on what this means. Perhaps there is a person matching Maddie's description at the correct time, but they can't identify her face?
Can you link in times/dates?

Thank you , important to have the ball rolling

And when they got home, the kid got ready and went directly to bed without using her phone etc.

Snipped for focus

My 13th birthday is way past in the rearview mirror, and we had only landlines back then, but if I'd spent my birthday in the company of my family away from home the FIRST thing I would have done when I got home was call my friends and tell them about my presents.

So I find this scenario difficult to believe.

Snipped for focus

My 13th birthday is way past in the rearview mirror, and we had only landlines back then, but if I'd spent my birthday in the company of my family away from home the FIRST thing I would have done when I got home was call my friends and tell them about my presents.

So I find this scenario difficult to believe.
I found it hard to believe as well tbh. I had a small hope that maybe mom hid the kid somewhere to keep her safe and make SURE police got involved AND investigated the men in her life carefully. So far, it doesn’t seem like this is what has happened.

Has the mom said anything regarding the boyfriend being arrested?

As I said, I just became aware of this case today so I'm not up to speed yet.
In a way o hope she doesn’t. Not to protect him but to avoid making it worse for herself or her daughter if her daughter is still alive. I’m sure she’s probably been interviewed by LE. I wonder if she lawyered up as well? If I were her? I would. Even if I were completely innocent and had been completely unaware of what my partner had been doing. I would lawyer up and I would shut up.

Hoping they check his other devices as well. Maybe bring in electronic sniffing dogs to find any that he may have hidden in his home/car/ parent’s home etc….
There was a forensics unit at his home earlier this afternoon, so I'm sure they're going to be collecting any and all devices. I think this is going to wind up being the tip of the iceberg, even if anything they find wasn't produced by him.

There was a forensics unit at his home earlier this afternoon, so I'm sure they're going to be collecting any and all devices. I think this is going to wind up being the tip of the iceberg, even if anything they find wasn't produced by him.
I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that there are perhaps other victims of his. Or other “associates” who perhaps also had some form of access to his victim(s) (eg: viewed his images or video / partipated in the production of it etc). It is all quite grim. :(

Even if I were completely innocent and had been completely unaware of what my partner had been doing. I would lawyer up and I would shut up.

Snipped for focus

If I were completely innocent and completely unaware of what my partner had been doing, I would definitely lawyer up.

But I would not shut up. I would be shouting from the rooftops demanding that LE do everything possible to find my daughter, and also going on TV and begging the public for help as well.

Can you link in times/dates?

Thank you , important to have the ball rolling
Link what times and dates?
I use google chrome’s accessibility features to transcribe audio so that I don’t have to watch videos, so I don’t have timestamps if that is what you are looking for. I’m not sure what dates would mean in this context.

I don’t think any of this is new information, it has all been discussed in this thread, I’m just trying to tie the existing conversations to sources.

BBM for focus. Do you have a link? I would like to read more. Thanks!

Snipped for focus

If I were completely innocent and completely unaware of what my partner had been doing, I would definitely lawyer up.

But I would not shut up. I would be shouting from the rooftops demanding that LE do everything possible to find my daughter, and also going on TV and begging the public for help as well.
I hear you and I’m torn on this. I see this two ways. I would wanna shout as loud as I could and keep up public pressure to find my daughter. At the same time, I worry people are judgy and public perception is everything. If she loses support of the public, would they just ignore her and forget to look for the girl? I have seen some cases like this - one where everyone was so focused on mom and what she did or didn’t that mom became the topic of discussion and not the missing child really. Horrible situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv