Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is DNA and phone evidence which it took awhile to sort out IMO. I would not yet rule out some sort of accident but if she was still alive (?), to not seek medical assistance, and to move her body- actionable IMO.

In the end, no battle was needed and the suppression order was withdrawn by Stephenson's own defence lawyer.

But in an extraordinary rant to the court, Mr Tamanika blasted Australia’s media for its advocation of an open justice system and insisted his application for the gag order had ‘bona fide’ reasons.

‘It is concerning that the application or granting of such orders can be, or is, immediately seen as being some form of underhanded move or manipulation by an accused person,' he said.

Mr Tamanika said his client had hoped to keep his father's name out of the press.
Such a considerate son.

I think there is DNA and phone evidence which it took awhile to sort out IMO. I would not yet rule out some sort of accident but if she was still alive (?), to not seek medical assistance, and to move her body- actionable IMO.
I think we can all safely rule out accident, since he has been charged with murder. Murder implies the exact opposite meaning to 'accident'. Accident is an unintentional consequence of an incidental action, murder is the intentional consequence of a deliberate and considered choice of operative action. .. ... with all due respect, accident is off the board now as an alternative explanation for Mrs Murphy's demise.

She was murdered, he is charged with her murder , based on the current evidence VICPOL have to hand.

Following news of his arrest, locals described him as a troubled teenager.
I expect it will be the usual stuff, fire lighting, a bit of odd and inexplicable cruelty to small animals, peculiar theft, that is done for no apparent gain, appearing at unexpected places at inexplicable times, a bit of heavy leaning on smaller children,, a complete inability to maintain focus when necessary, etc, etc, etc..

Following news of his arrest, locals described him as a troubled teenager.

Mum is a primary school teacher (as per your linked article).

So tough for his family now. What a selfish fool he is for bringing this down on them.

imo

can you paraphrase from the article please? It’s paywalled for me

Information from the article…

The Stephenson family is liked and respected in the Ballarat community, the feelings are mixed about middle child Patrick.

Mount Clear neighbours quickly recall a friendly home and gregarious sisters, but struggle to remember a lot about the boy who would ride his bike around the cul-de-sac.

Neighbours remark that home life appeared happy and the family close.

Mentions alot about his fathers football career

Patrick Stephenson went to Damascus College and St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, private schools with a conservative culture imbued with a sense of tradition.

Played for Redan Football Club in Under 19’s but nothing in recent years.

Patrick Stephenson split his time between his home in Scotsburn and his parents’ place in Mount Clear, both close to where Murphy went missing.

His mother is a primary school teacher

Neighbours seemed clueless that there was any involvement and were shocked to see so many police cars in their street.

Information from the article…

The Stephenson family is liked and respected in the Ballarat community, the feelings are mixed about middle child Patrick.

Mount Clear neighbours quickly recall a friendly home and gregarious sisters, but struggle to remember a lot about the boy who would ride his bike around the cul-de-sac.

Neighbours remark that home life appeared happy and the family close.

Mentions alot about his fathers football career

Patrick Stephenson went to Damascus College and St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, private schools with a conservative culture imbued with a sense of tradition.

Played for Redan Football Club in Under 19’s but nothing in recent years.

Patrick Stephenson split his time between his home in Scotsburn and his parents’ place in Mount Clear, both close to where Murphy went missing.

His mother is a primary school teacher

Neighbours seemed clueless that there was any involvement and were shocked to see so many police cars in their street.
Thank you. A primary school teacher, how dreadful for her, parents and colleagues would not view this lightly

Lawyer claims he has no mental health issues or drug problems. The guy has a girlfriend. The police claim he deliberately and intentionally murdered Samantha... I'm really struggling to understand the motive here? Did he just want to feel like Patrick Bateman on an early sunny Sunday morning???

Lawyer claims he has no mental health issues or drug problems. The guy has a girlfriend. The police claim he deliberately and intentionally murdered Samantha... I'm really struggling to understand the motive here? Did he just want to feel like Patrick Bateman on an early sunny Sunday morning???
Overestimated his intelligence? Thought he could get away with it..?

I feel the same. He had a career and seems to come from a loving family too. Probably lived in his father’s shadow and couldn’t reach the same level as him sporting wise but so what, millions of other children suffer the same ‘fate’. What would have driven this guy who seemingly had it all to commit such a horrific crime?

If he told you his motive, would you believe him?> .. considering his outstanding capacity to dissemble? His motive would be what he felt he wanted to do at that moment . Quite possibly, he has forgotten what his motive was, or certainly , the urgency of it. It would sink back to simmer, and finally fade away. No motive is needed for conviction, in law,, which is a good thing, since it is such a liquid emotion. His barrister will steer right away from motive as an element of his defence, for sure.

People do dreadful things. Dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member