Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of other videos which show absolutely (not confirmed) no one ever attempting to help RS at any time. How heartbreaking. No call to 911 to get him-- help?

My heart breaks for his mom. Praying for RS's mom. There are no words, and it bothers me that she sees her son like this -- alone. Suffering ... I hope she is surrounded by much love and support.

Solid clarification there. This family friend has been repeating things told to him second hand, and some of these claims have sounded dubious.

This bar operates just like any similar one I’ve ever been to. I think they just weren’t ready to leave, especially if there was a cover charge.
They also might have determined that Riley was ok enough to walk back to their hotel which wasn't far from there, but then Riley became a lot more disoriented and out of it due to a delayed effect of his last drink.

This is one of other videos which show absolutely (not confirmed) no one ever attempting to help RS at any time. How heartbreaking. No call to 911 to get him-- help?

My heart breaks for his mom. Praying for RS's mom. There are no words, and it bothers me that she sees her son like this -- alone. Suffering ... I hope she is surrounded by much love and support.

He's only wearing a t shirt in this video, right? Where is his button up he was wearing?

He's only wearing a t shirt in this video, right? Where is his button up he was wearing?
From what I can see, he is wearing the same button-up shirt. As he walks, you can see some of the white portion (particularly at the 2nd second mark). I think it's just a little difficult to see because of the angle and quality of the footage.

Yes. In the statement released by the bar, they state they released security footage of Riley to the police.
That's good to hear. ^^^

I'm getting Lauren Spierer vibes from this case.

I wish with the group Riley was in, that it was pre-arranged for anyone leaving alone that a taxi or uber be called for them ?
Heck, if you're a student-- text or call & charge it to your parents, one would think they'd rather that than for you to go missing !!
There isn't just the river dangers... there are human predators around, which is 10 X worse.

Wondering if Riley's family felt a little false security since he was with his campus group ?
What a nightmare this is for them. :(
Omo.

I live in Portland. Downtown at night, or even in the day, is full of people completely zonked on something or the other and you just don’t go up to them and offer “help.” We have had tourists assaulted and stabbed just for being in the wrong place, or even for looking at someone.

Once someone is an adult you can just presume that unless they are on the ground bleeding, or ask for help themselves, it is not good policy to approach them. Senior citizens and children are different of course as they are more vulnerable and pose almost no threat.

I visit Nashville often. Years ago Broadway was a fun experience. A few months ago we went to a concert at the Ryman. I was shocked walking down Broadway which felt more like Bourbon Street. We watched a large guy fall over in the pay parking lot. We got him up with the help of some other sober people and sat him on the curb while we looked for a cop, because this guy was in no shape to be trying to make his way through the crowd safely. Within a minute he was gone. This part of Nashville REQUIRES you have a sober friend with you if you plan on bar hopping because you can easily just fall in with other drunks and end up who knows where.

I think any city that has a vibrant night life and is an iconic tourist town will always have the kind of tragedies and near tragedies that's happened here. Every year in Quebec City they have a winter carnival, it's just before Lent. It's fun but it's freezing cold. And it's right next to the mighty St. Lawrence River. Lots of seriously impaired drinkers wandering around with their plastic canes full of caribou a drink comprised of wine and whiskey. Very potent. I don't think too many people drown while drinking at the Quebec City carnival but definitely there's been deaths from hypothermia after passing out in snow banks. And snowbanks are just frozen water.

That's good to hear. ^^^

I wish with the group Riley was in, that it was pre-arranged for anyone leaving alone that a taxi or uber be called for them ?
Heck, if you're a student-- text or call & charge it to your parents, one would think they'd rather that than for you to go missing !!
There isn't just the river dangers... there are human predators around, which is 10 X worse.

Wondering if Riley's family felt a little false security since he was with his campus group ?
Omo.
Probably felt more secure cause he was with a group but also he is 6'7" and 22 - not a small child.

That's good to hear. ^^^

Omo.
Yeah, I'm thinking he fell in the river or somewhere is the most likely scenario.

However, just because someone is very intoxicated doesn't mean a bad actor didn't notice and take advantage of that. Especially when a body doesn't turn up. Lauren Speier comes to my mind also, and here in Denver we had Kenia Monge who got separated from her friends at a bar and then got grabbed by a very, very scary guy.

Given his size, as a 5'2" female I wouldn't go offer help for fear of my own safety. Call 911 and report his possible need for assistance, but definitely not approach. Approaching is how people get killed now days.

Probably felt more secure cause he was with a group but also he is 6'7" and 22 - not a small child.
Yes I know he's not a small child, but even a college student wandering and inebriated is at risk, esp. at night.
I don't think it would've been remiss for the group to arrange to call him a ride or for his parents/family to get him a ride.
There's nothing wrong with that option and it's better than the alternative.
I feel for Riley's family who may be second-guessing themselves.
Also there's the behavior of the group as a whole and I don't know if it's asking too much for them to keep tabs on each other and try to find anyone who has wandered off ?
Maybe unrealistic.
Omo.

Yes I know he's not a small child, but even a college student wandering and inebriated is at risk, esp. at night.
I don't think it would've been remiss for the group to arrange to call him a ride or for his parents/family to get him a ride.
Also there's the behavior of the group as a whole and I don't know if it's asking too much for them to keep tabs on each other and try to find anyone who has wandered off ?
Maybe unrealistic.
Omo.
You would think, but fraternity behavior has a history of not being the kindest. Think of all the young guys who binge drink during rush and are later found passed away because no one even checked on them. Or all the girls like Chanel Miller who get assaulted at frat parties.

I agree with you that his being very tall probably didn't keep him any safer. I would think a preppy-looking young kid falling down like that might be considered an "easy target" for robbery etc. that may have gone too far. Just conjecture about the possible scenarios.

Maybe unrealistic.
Omo.
That’s where I’m at. He’s a grown man and responsible for his own actions, but at the same time, you look out for your friends.

Not only did no one leave with him, but they apparently didn’t even notice that he didn’t make it back to the hotel until the next day.

Back in my college days there were times when a friend was thrown out without us knowing, but when we did know, someone always went with them.

You would think, but fraternity behavior has a history of not being the kindest. Think of all the young guys who binge drink during rush and are later found passed away because no one even checked on them. Or all the girls like Chanel Miller who get assaulted at frat parties.

I agree with you that his being very tall probably didn't keep him any safer. I would think a preppy-looking young kid falling down like that might be considered an "easy target" for robbery etc. that may have gone too far. Just conjecture about the possible scenarios.
In a robbery scenario though, you just walk up to him and take his wallet. He couldn’t have possibly been an easier mark.

We’ve heard of no credit card activity (which is why they have said there’s no evidence of a crime), and there’s no reason to go to the risk and difficulty of doing anything violent.

Nashville is perpetually under construction, and in that video where Riley is seen walking by a wall, the next block appears to be construction. I wonder if construction areas have been thoroughly searched, especially any excavated areas.

But apparently, no one even did that.

Right, apparently nobody did see his staggering around that night, or fall, and then call police but to be realistic, he was walking pretty fast. Even if someone had called, short of them actively ollowing him to keep track of him to let LE know his ongoing location, cops would have never gotten to where a person would have initially said they'd seen him (location). Remember, this isn't a sleep little one horse town, this is an incredibly busy area of downtown Nashville, tons of touristis, tons of pedestrian traffic, tons of intoxicated people staggering around, I'm sure. I really don't think that calling the cops would have helped, imo they wouldn't have responded or located him quickly enough, just based on reality.

Maybe unrealistic.
Omo.

Maybe they were as intoxicated and not clear thinking, like him? Not sure how far away his hotel was from the bar but I'm guessing his friend who went down to the door with him must have thought he was capable of making it to the hotel on his own. Most young guys this age don't coddle each other, young guys get booted from bars all the time at this age, if he assured his buddy that he was fine to make it back to the hotel and the hotel wasn't that far away, I don't see why his friend would have questioned it...especially if he was impaired to some degree as well (likely) and perhaps didn't notice just how impaired Riley really was.

@Kellyavellino
Update: The restaurant group that owns Luke Bryan’s bar replied to my inquiry, and says that no one from RILEY STRAIN’S group was required to stay to pay a tab, or prevented from leaving with Riley. I will check again with Riley’s fraternity brothers. Many of you online were asking about this, bar protocol, etc., so I went ahead and inquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilgrlbghrt