Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

100%

I'd also like to know what behavior led Riley, and only Riley, to be booted from the bar. I've seen many people get kicked out of bars, big and small - I've never seen anyone leave alone (usually the whole group gets booted). And if those friends were that concerned, they would have called 911 back at the hotel that night, not the next morning- they knew he left alone, not with a friend, not with a girl, and not with strangers. It's very sad. I totally understand that stuff happens, it truly does, we read about it everyday on here - but it could have easily gone the other way and we'd never know of this young man.
I'm thankful the bar shared the inside video footage with Riley's family so they understand the full situation that happened two weeks ago. It sounds like LE shared additional outside video with them too. I hope they can find peace... After a long upcoming grieving process.

We know now that he was wearing the same shirt and watch, also his height... I wonder if he has a birthmark or something else that would also be used as an identifier. Also, since the parents were there and very involved, they likely had his dental records ready (we all know they anticipated a possible outcome of finding him in the river). They really did identify him quickly.

I am so sad and yet relieved to hear the news this morning. My son leaves for college this fall; so Riley's case has hit me hard as well. He just seems so innocent and sweet - just like my son. Things happen in a blink of an eye - as others have said, jut one mistake, one wrong turn, one decision and tragedy is the outcome.

Rest peacefully Riley. May his parents, family, friends have comfort this day and many days following as they lay him to rest.
It was a quite fast ID for 2 weeks in the water. I don’t think birthmarks would be visible, though.

I'm so far behind but wanted to talk about the credit card a bit. IIRC it was found in the area his phone last pinged, right? I have a horrible habit of putting my credit card in my back pocket, then putting my phone in the same pocket. I can't even tell you how many times I've pulled out my phone and not realized my credit card came out too and dropped on the ground.

And no i'll probably never learn my lesson
Me too.

It was a quite fast ID for 2 weeks in the water. I don’t think birthmarks would be visible, though.
Yeah. I think it was clothing (shirt, maybe boots) height, and the fact that he was wearing an Apple Watch. There’s a chance his wallet was still in his pocket too.

I don’t think I’ve seen an ID that fast before. I’ve seen a preliminary ID on occasion, but not something that definitive.

I do hope money will be spent to make it more difficult for people to fall into this river from within the city.

I even think YourTempo needs to show up in Map Apps in a way that makes it clear it's not the Tempo by Hilton.

No more repeats of this tragedy.
Even with all that, accidents will still happen, IMO. You really can’t bubble wrap the world.

I think looking back at my wild youth in the 80’s and 90’s I’m lucky to be alive. Now, I don’t see the attraction of getting wasted but back then, it seemed fun to “party.”

Best thing we can do I think is have conversations with our kids/young loved ones about the dangers of overindulgence and hope for the best.

Closer to home, we also spoke with Ludlow Police Chief Daniel Valadas, and he had the following message for college students and young adults both locally and beyond:

As a chief, as a police officer, but more importantly, as a father, that’s a nightmare. So, be careful who you’re with. Trust your friends, have people that can help you if you had a situation where you know you overdrink, you over-party, and you end up being in a situation where something could befall you, and have somebody that can help you.”

Western Mass News caught up with Springfield College students on Friday, and they told us that although this tragedy happened miles away, it still hits close to home.

And we’re told Springfield College also provides tools to educate students on staying safe when leaving campus, as student Nate Kelleher-Mochak explained, “In the summer, you have to fill out forms for alcohol, safety like drug safety, sexual awareness, safety, and stuff like that, they put you through classes in certain situations that might happen involving alcohol or stuff like that, and it gives a real opportunity for students to learn more about that.”
That’s good.

What was so offensive is that she seemed to have no regard for the facts. It was tabloid-style sensationalism. Or at least it certainly seemed that way. MOO
And people bought it hook, line, and sinker. There were people who believed this was foul play from the beginning, and they were searching for any supporting evidence they could find. This was gift wrapped.

He might have just taken his card out for some reason and dropped it, we will probably never know.

Broadway to the river is gradually downhill. If from his hotel to the bar, he would have been walking downhill. So, it might have felt more right to continue in that direction when he had to leave the bar. Which, unfortunately, led him off away from where everyone is at night.

This is why I advise, if you don't know Nashville, start at Riverfront (if you just need to see the river, it's a good view of it from there; if not start around 2nd) and work your way UP Broadway. Because there's more city to walk into also walking slightly uphill might slow you down a little.

Most publicity shots of Nashville show the river from an angle you cannot see from Broadway because they're taken from the other side of the river.

Family of Riley Strain speaks after body found

God this is just so wretchedly sad. His poor, poor mother. Everything we heard (and the small bit we witnessed) about Riley seemed to indicate he was a sweet young guy who was very connected to his family. I have a brother (who is also a tall lanky blond :( ) just a couple years younger than Riley who will be receiving a text shortly with a link to this case and a reminder to please, please be careful when out having fun.

Last edited:
Is it possible that Riley knew where he was going? He'd been walking on Gay for a couple of minutes next to the Cumberland River? His direction of travel does not include a structure that is similar to the name of his hotel, the Tempo

View attachment 492324
source: NewsNation
RSBM
IMO he very likely did know what direction he was going, unfortunately it was toward a music business management software company called Tempo or YourTempo, in an office building at 801 2nd Ave. N., a location that is outside the parameters of the NewsNation map. (several businesses are there)
He almost certainly confused this location with where he should've been going, the Tempo by Hilton.
The route he was taking by way of the river is still not the most direct to where his (incorrect) destination was, but he probably needed to take a leak, thus his diversion to the riverside....

God this is just so wretchedly sad. His poor, poor mother. Everything we heard (and the small bit we witnessed) about Riley seemed to indicate he was a sweet young guy who was very connected to his family. I have a brother (who is also a tall lanky blond :( ) just a couple years younger than Riley who will be receiving a text shortly with a link to this case and a plead to please, please be careful when out having fun.
If Riley’s death can save people like your brother, and thousands more lives, then it was not in vain.

Police said identifying effects were found with him, his clothes, watch and other effects.
God this is just so wretchedly sad. His poor, poor mother. Everything we heard (and the small bit we witnessed) about Riley seemed to indicate he was a sweet young guy who was very connected to his family. I have a brother (who is also a tall lanky blond :( ) just a couple years younger than Riley who will be receiving a text shortly with a link to this case and a reminder to please, please be careful when out having fun.
Didnt have to be. Frat brothers could have and should have walked him home.

It is so sad for his heartbroken mother for she'll assuredly miss all of the daily texts and facetimes with her precious son, Riley Strain, her best friend. May many rich blessings of love, warmth and comfort surround the loved ones, and gentleness for Mizzou. There is sunshine in the morning. If we could turn back time, and find a way, we'd bring him back to them.

Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower;
We will grieve not; rather find
Strength in what remains behind. ~ William Wordsworth

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members