DC - 3 young girls beat stomp disabled man to death - March 30, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score
“My uncle really didn’t deserve this,” a niece of Brown’s said in a statement to News4 on Friday. “He was known in this community for years so for this to happen where he lived for 64 [years] is insane. They have to be held accountable!”

A friend of Brown's said he was stunned to hear that children were responsible for the attack.

“That’s rough. That’s rough. They need to pay the penalty if they did it,” he said.

One girl is 12 and two are 13. All three girls were charged as juveniles. The 12-year-old, who was shot in the foot Friday morning before she was arrested, hobbled into court on Saturday on crutches, though details about that shooting were not revealed. Attorneys for the three pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Girls left in ‘celebratory' mood after deadly DC beating, detective testifies

<modsnip - snipped for copyright>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/29/girls-charged-fatal-beating/

A 12-year-old girl was shot by a masked assailant in Washington, D.C., after she and two teen girls beat an elderly disabled man to death last fall.
[snip]
In a shocking twist of events, the 12-year-old girl linked to the crime was shot in her apartment on Friday at around 4am. Her Peabody Street apartment in the 500 block is only about a half-mile away from the scene of the brutal beating.

The gunshot hit the girl in the leg and she was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police have not said whether the gunfire came from inside or outside of the apartment - but video of the scene shows a shattered pane of a first floor window.

A neighbor told News4 that they heard a loud bang and then saw two youngsters jump from a broken window and run down an alley.

Five months after the brutal beating of the 64-year-old disabled man, the three girls have been arrested in relation to Reggie Brown's death.
'Kind' Washington DC man is beaten to death 'by three tween girls

Last edited by a moderator:
And there is more, according to the NYPost link above:
"Detective [HS] testified that a man in his early 20s initiated the attack by grabbing Brown by the collar and throwing him against a brick wall.

The girls happened to be walking by at the time, one of whom asked the man,“ Can I fight him?” to which he responded “Yes...”

...That night, at roughly 4 a.m., the 12-year-old girl was shot in her apartment...
Police have not said whether the gunfire erupted inside the apartment or if it came from outside...

None have prior arrests, but all three have long-standing truancy issues..."

They are charged as juveniles with 2nd degree murder. It doesn't say if the man in his 20's has been located.

What were they doing out at that time of the night ?

Reggie Brown, a 64-year-old Northwest D.C. resident, died after he was assaulted on Oct. 17, 2023. Officers responded to the 6200 block of Georgia Avenue at about
12:55 a.m. He had injuries consistent with an assault and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. An autopsy determined he died of blunt force trauma and was a homicide victim.

Video a detective called "horrific" played in court Friday evening showed three girls kicking and stomping Brown. They appeared to be in a celebratory mood as they walked away.

Detective Harry Singleton testified Friday a man in a blue coat threw Brown to the ground. Then the man and a group of girls followed Brown as he tried to get away.

Red bolding mine.

Who was the man involved ?
I want to hurl after reading this.
A disabled elderly man who did not even try to defend himself.

Rest in gentle peace, Reggie !

Unbelievable!!! I'm guessing these 'children' suffer from mental illness. I cannot imagine an adult never mind children committing such a heinous act. Where has our humanity gone?
Bolding mine.

Maybe.
Or not ?
From the truancy issues, they were possibly allowed to come and go as they pleased ?
Basically unsupervised if that was the case and we can all see how that turned out.
12 and 13 year olds are old enough to 'put on an act'; if that was the intention of the thumb sucking and the sleeping.
They disgust me.
Hopefully the man who initiated the attack can be identified ?

Due to the girl's youthful ages and the dropping of some charges, I predict they'll be out roaming around before too long.
Possibly without being rehabilitated.
Whomever lives near them had better be on their guard.
Omo.

Eta : Even sadder, from the above link :

And there is more, according to the NYPost link above:
"Detective [HS] testified that a man in his early 20s initiated the attack by grabbing Brown by the collar and throwing him against a brick wall.

The girls happened to be walking by at the time, one of whom asked the man,“ Can I fight him?” to which he responded “Yes...”

...That night, at roughly 4 a.m., the 12-year-old girl was shot in her apartment...
Police have not said whether the gunfire erupted inside the apartment or if it came from outside...

None have prior arrests, but all three have long-standing truancy issues..."

They are charged as juveniles with 2nd degree murder. It doesn't say if the man in his 20's has been located.

Like serious question - what the heck sort of 12/13 year old sees a total stranger beating an older total stranger and asks - hey, can I get a few licks in on him too? What the actual F is wrong with people?

Last edited:

The murderers' reaction to this helpless man makes one wonder if there were other attacks they committed previously and escaped justice from ?
The absolute cruelty.

Maybe they were raised in a violent environment.
But their past explains them, it does not excuse them.

Others have had tough upbringings and have committed no crimes at all.

Also from the link :

I think it's important for the eventual jury and maybe the public to see this ?

I don't want to see photos, but was thinking maybe the jury if it goes to trial, and the girls' defenders ?
Hearing about a victim being beaten to death, is nothing like seeing what these killers did.

There will undoubtably be much sympathy for them ; "they're so young yet, give them a break and let's help them, not imprison them...".
It seems that way for youthful offenders.

I'm fearful that these girls will get a slap on the wrist and go on to commit other, similar crimes.
Omo.

One of the 13-year-olds, wearing a sweatshirt with the R&B trio TLC on the front, sucked her thumb at various points during the hearing and at one point began sleeping, until the judge told her attorney to wake her up.
Serious disrespect for the court, here....

Ay ay ay, shaking my head yet again.

How did any of them think this was a good idea???

Reminds me of the group murdering a man experiencing homelessness in Toronto:

Agree with the question "what were they doing out" at that time?

jmho ymmv lrr

I'm fearful that these girls will get a slap on the wrist and go on to commit other, similar crimes.
It'll be swept under the rug as soon as the news articles stop.

Back in 2016 / 2017 there were groups of teenagers randomly attacking people on public transportation in DC.

One incident was them attacking a man on the way to work - The charges were dropped: Assault Charges Dismissed Against 6 Teens in Metro Station Attack

Article detailing similar situations: String of assaults on D.C.'s Metro has common thread: teen suspects

This crime is absolutely appalling, vile and sickening.
12-13 year olds did this! I'm speechless.

They may well get stiff sentences though. Let's hope so. In the UK, one of the murderers of Jamie Bulger was released at 18 (having committed the murder at 10) but has been in and out of prison since and is there now iirc, with parole having been denied.

Brian Cohee, the murderer in this case A 19-year-old who murdered a homeless man was turned in by his mother must have been 18 and although the judge is quoted as saying it was evident BC had "mental problems", he's got life w/o parole. A homeless person is not disabled but also very vulnerable, so that's why I mention it.

I tried to find other cases where children or young teens murdered a disabled person to see how they were sentenced but my internet research wasn't too successful, which doesn't mean there aren't any. It's more likely my searching ability is not too high.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back