Canada - Homeless Man, Ken Lee, Stabbed to Death by 8 Teen Girls in "Swarming Attack", Toronto, Dec 2022

Beaten too, poor man. rbbm.
View attachment 389105
''The deadly attack happened near the corner of York Street and University Avenue, just steps away from Union Station, in downtown Toronto. (CBC)
Warning: This story includes graphic details.
An alleged "swarming" attack in Toronto started when the eight teen girls charged in the slaying tried to take a liquor bottle from the victim and his friend, the friend says.
That witness, who CBC Toronto has agreed not to name because they belong to a vulnerable community, said she was smoking a cigarette with the man outside a downtown shelter early Sunday when the group of teens approached them and attempted to take her alcohol.
The 59-year-old victim, who police have not publicly identified, told the girls to leave the two of them alone, the woman said.
"He protected me," she added.
That's when the group of girls started to punch him repeatedly, she recalled. Frightened by the violence, she walked away while one of the girls followed her. She said she could see lots of blood.

"Bleeding, bleeding, bleeding. I didn't know if they had a knife or what. I was just scared," she said. "I think they stabbed his belly."
She said she went into the shelter and brought him water afterwards. "I didn't know he would die," she said.''

''All of the teens appeared in court on the weekend, with further court appearances scheduled for Dec. 29.''

''Police are appealing for information from anyone who was in the area of the attack between about 10:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.''

This poor woman. Imagine the fear she was facing!
I hope she can get past the murder of her friend.

Wow, time to redefine the YOA. You can’t know how happy I am right now to have moved out of Toronto.
I am concerned that people are blowing the 'trend' out of proportion.
Toronto is not Chicago. It's not Baltimore. It's not Winnipeg. It's not Edmonton. (BTW I'm not from Toronto.)

What brought these young teens together??? I agree that we need to figure this out. It's not like it is a trend though. It's one incident. I hate when people foment fear based on one or two incidents.

None of my comments here take away from the horror of the event that took place. It's shocking and terrible.

''The teens are a mix of urban and suburban residents who come from neighbourhoods stretching from Scarborough to Etobicoke and downtown Toronto, Browne said. One of the teens lives in the 905 region west of the city. Three had prior contact with police.

Investigators have not publicly confirmed on which social media platform the girls met.''

Webber alleged the teens approached the victim and the other friend and tried to steal their alcohol, which prompted the altercation. The victim's friend corroborated this, telling Global News she was with him when the alleged assault happened and that the victim was defending her as the teens tried to take her liquor.

"I saw everything," the friend told the news channel. "He [tried to] stop them, 'leave her alone,' and they [stabbed him] and [he was] bleeding."8 Girls Accused of 'Swarming,' Killing Stranger Met on Social Media, May Have Sought Alcohol

This poor woman. Imagine the fear she was facing!
I hope she can get past the murder of her friend.
I am so glad he got at least that moment of kindness and acknowledgement before he died. How terrible to be in a vulnerable population and feel you cannot call for emergency services to help an assaulted friend or to be a world where assault is so normal, alot of blood doesn't look like pending death.

Dec 29 2022
''TORONTO - Eight teenage girls facing second-degree murder charges in the death of a homeless man in Toronto are set to appear for a bail hearing in the new year.''

''During a brief court appearance on Thursday, a lawyer for one of the girls requested Crown lawyers disclose a video of the alleged attack posted on the popular online video platform TikTok.

A judge said some of the teens are still in the process of retaining a lawyer so that's also why the case needs to be put over.

The teens are scheduled to appear for a bail hearing in youth court on Jan. 5, 2023.''

Maye he then wants to say the case has been sensationalized so a jury trial will be moved? Does it work like that in Canada?
Toronto is such a big city that releasing a video of the murder will not make any difference in jury selection. I suspect the real goal in requesting that video is released is to try the case in the media, to create debate around which of the 8 suspects is the more guilty, to compromise the suspects and to traumatize the family of the victim.

I doubt the video will be released, as trial evidence in Canada is released to the public during trial to protect the integrity of the case. Furthermore, all 8 suspects are juveniles. Their identity would no longer be protected if the video is released.

IMHO Everything about this is disturbing! They are so YOUNG! So many good things happen as a result of social media. Unfortunately, this is the underbelly. It is difficult to envision how this even came about. I feel fortunate I have not personally witnessed anything like this. I was use to saying Sir and Mam at that age. It truly is a different world and sad to see young girls ruining their lives over a tragic senseless incident. Sad for the victim and the young people involved.

''Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly reported that the next court appearance would be a bail hearing.''
''The teens are scheduled to appear in youth court on Jan. 5, 2023, when it is expected that a date will be set for bail hearings.''

Meanwhile, in this unrelated case, an elderly woman is assaulted by random female, what is going on?

''The hearing for one of the girls took place a day earlier, on Wednesday. She was granted bail in a separate, in-person court appearance after that of her co-accused.

The girl was led into the courtroom in handcuffs, wearing a face mask and a black hoodie. She appeared impassive as Judge Maria Sirivar read out the conditions of her bail.

She must not have a cell phone, is not allowed to leave the province, use the internet except for online schooling or have any contact with the co-accused, is not allowed to be outside unless with her surety, may attend school but not leave the school building, is not allowed to have any weapons and must surrender her passport.

Her bail was set at $9,500 with two sureties.

Sirivar will give reasons for her bail decision Jan. 10.''

1672371549473.png
''An eighth girl made appeared in court later on Thursday and was released on $9,500 bail with two sureties and several conditions, such as no weapons, cellphone or internet use.
No reason was given why the eighth girl was separated from the other seven.
She has a return court date of Jan. 10.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back