GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

An older article:

When authorities arrived, they learned the suspect, later identified as Miu, ran back upriver and entered the woods on the western bank. A witness called police at 4:45 p.m., reporting they saw the suspect downriver at Prospect Park. He was detained at the Rivers Edge Campground in Somerset. He was there with a group of friends and his wife, charges said.

Miu's wife told investigators she and Miu arrived at the campground at 10:45 a.m. on Saturday to float down the river. She said her husband donned SCUBA gear and left the group to try to find a friend's cellphone that was lost in the river near the bridge, the complaint states. The second time he went out looking, a group of guys got off their tubes and started hitting him. She saw this and yelled to their friends, two of whom started running toward the fight.

She heard screaming and then saw Miu and the two friends walking back, noting she didn't see what happened, charges said. She said the two friends were not involved; Miu was already on his way back when they reached him.

Miu's wife told investigators Miu had a knife in his pocket and he told her, "Those guys grabbed it from him," adding the group called him a pedophile and attacked him, charges said.

The complaint said witnesses reported a man, later identified as Miu, bothering a group of juveniles on their tubes and the tubers were yelling for help from others floating down the river. A group of people then stood between the tubers and Miu, asking him to leave.

Witnesses said Miu slapped or punched a female that was in the group confronting him, and then a male punched Miu, causing him to fall into the river, the complaint said. Witnesses then said Miu began stabbing multiple people who were near him using a 3-inch folding knife.

Authorities located the knife a short distance upstream along the west bank of the river, the complaint said. Tubes, including on that appeared to have bloody flesh attached, were found tied together with items belonging to the victims.

Investigators also obtained video of the incident, the complaint states. The video, which was also the focus of the preliminary hearing, showed Miu, shirtless, carrying goggles with a snorkel attached up to the group and he grabs onto their tubes as the group yells to Miu to get away. Miu then walks around the tubes, as if he's looking for something, before walking away with his back to the tubing party. He then turns around and says something to the tubers before walking away again toward the Highway 35 bridge.

The video, according to charges, then shows people converging toward Miu, yelling for him to walk away. He then walked toward a female, who was telling him to go away. In the video, someone can be heard saying he was "looking for little girls." Then a larger group converged toward the area and multiple people were yelling at Miu, with at least one person touching his shoulder.

Apple River stabbing: Wisconsin Judge rules Nicolae Miu will stand trial

Updated September 2, 2022 2:14pm CDT

Full article at link

So, my interpretation so far after watching multiple analysis of the video and listening to the testimony, is that:
- One of the drunk teens taunted NM and asked him what he was doing. NM wouldn't reply. NM then approached the drunk teens and grabbed their tubes. They jumped up, concerned. And continued taunting him (calling him a perv/child rapist, etc.), asking him what he was doing and asking him to leave. He wouldn't reply. He continued to hang around them as he had now dropped his snorkel and mask, but they didn't know what he was doing.
- When NM didn't go away (although he did move away a bit) another group of adults (the "Carlson group") began to get involved. Two women came over and asked him to leave. NM didn't reply and didn't leave. NM pulled his knife out of his shorts while facing the two women who were 'in his face'. He kept the knife at his side. The women continued to yell at him to leave the area and then NM apparently punched one of the women in the face. This caused an immediate escalation as a couple of people moved in in response. They began to shove NM and knocked him down in the shallow water. He started stabbing people.

So, why didn't NM simply leave the area and go back to his group after multiple people asked him multiple times? He chose to stay. He put himself in that position. He had pulled his knife out of his pocket well before he was 'cornered'. I believe that the taunting got to him and he had no intention of standing down. He was itching for a fight by that time.

Clearly some of the teens acted terribly....they were bullies with their taunting. But a 50-something man should have recognized it for what it was and yet he would not disengage (even though he wasn't talking, which was part of the problem!) and simply move on. His ego got in the way.

I think NM will be convicted of manslaughter. I don't think they will get a first degree conviction since he didn't start slashing until the bigger group started to shove him.

This all could have been avoided if he had simply moved away as requested by multiple people, many times.

ETA: of course I reserve the right to change my opinion based on further evidence at the trial! ;)

Last edited:
So, my interpretation so far after watching multiple analysis of the video and listening to the testimony, is that:
- One of the drunk teens taunted NM and asked him what he was doing. NM wouldn't reply. NM then approached the drunk teens and grabbed their tubes. They jumped up, concerned. And continued taunting him (calling him a perv/child rapist, etc.), asking him what he was doing and asking him to leave. He wouldn't reply. He continued to hang around them as he had now dropped his snorkel and mask, but they didn't know what he was doing.
- When NM didn't go away (although he did move away a bit) another group of adults (the "Carlson group") began to get involved. Two women came over and asked him to leave. NM didn't reply and didn't leave. NM pulled his knife out of his shorts while facing the two women who were 'in his face'. He kept the knife at his side. The women continued to yell at him to leave the area and then NM apparently punched one of the women in the face. This caused an immediate escalation as a couple of people moved in in response. They began to shove NM and knocked him down in the shallow water. He started stabbing people.

So, why didn't NM simply leave the area and go back to his group after multiple people asked him multiple times? He chose to stay. He put himself in that position. He had pulled his knife out of his pocket well before he was 'cornered'. I believe that the taunting got to him and he had no intention of standing down. He was itching for a fight by that time.

Clearly some of the teens acted terribly....they were bullies with their taunting. But a 50-something man should have recognized it for what it was and yet he would not disengage (even though he wasn't talking, which was part of the problem!) and simply move on. His ego got in the way.

I think NM will be convicted of manslaughter. I don't think they will get a first degree conviction since he didn't start slashing until the bigger group started to shove him.

This all could have been avoided if he had simply moved away as requested by multiple people, many times.

ETA: of course I reserve the right to change my opinion based on further evidence at the trial! ;)
I hear ya, but I believe there is a bunch of lying going on. Defense said in their opening there is body cam footage that shows there is no mark on the woman's face who said she was punched. Each of the witnesses have said they saw her being punched and the dad said her face was swollen and red where she was punched. If that body cam shows no marks on her face, I throw out ALL of their testimony.

Also, they are all lying about drinking as evidenced by their BAH. The defense tried to impeach Dante on this because he told the prosecutor he only had 2 beers and was starting on a third. When pushed by the defense about his BAH, he admitted he had some hard liquor but he said the prosecutor only asked him how many beers he had, so he was just answering that question. In reality, the prosecutor didn't ask Dante how many beers he had, he asked him how much alcohol he had. Flat out brazen lies both to the state and the defense.

Every. Single. Witness. Was. Helping. The. Defence.

The (now) college kids, Dante, all of them. Telling was how the defence hammered down over and over again.... "did you feel more confident or less scared when more people arrived?"

All of them:
YES.

This is the definition of a mob. If that can be proven (& so far they're doing a good job of depicting this,) NM is gonna walk. MOO.

I heard an interview from the Rittenhouse trial (same lawyer) and he said that Kyle had to testify. So I would be surprised if NM did not.

Nicolae Miu's ex-wife. She filed for divorce in March. She was tubing with him on the day of the stabbing and told authorities her husband had a knife in his pocket.

Updated April 2, 2024 11:52am CDT

Apple River stabbing: What happened

According to court records, the stabbing took place on the Apple River near the Sunrise Bridge in Somerset, Wisconsin, which allegedly started after Miu was apparently looking for a friend's cell phone in the river but was confronted by tubers who said he was acting sketchy.

The encounter escalated, and he apparently punched a female on the left side of her face before Miu was punched, eventually leading to the stabbing.

Witnesses began calling 911 at 3:47 p.m. on July 30, which indicated there were potentially four or five victims with wounds to the mid to upper body.

A 24-year-old woman from Burnsville, Minnesota, a 20-year-old and 22-year-old man from Luck, Wisconsin, and a 22-year-old man from Elk River, Minnesota, were injured in the attack. But, 17-year-old Schuman died from his injuries.

According to the criminal complaint, Miu claimed the attack was self-defense. He said he was "so fearful" for his safety, adding he wasn't sure what the people in the river were going to do to him, and "everything happened so fast."

I checked WI court records and there is no divorce listed for he and his wife. Plus, a request was made that she be allowed in the courtroom despite the sequestration order. I'm assuming this was requested by the defense - the judge didn't specify. Could be a defense ploy and she is assisting, or maybe they reconciled.

I disagree to some extent.

He was pushed down into the water and then struck multiple times. The legal burden is for reasonable doubt and I think from what video I saw, it looks to me that there was some truth to his argument being that he was outnumbered and surrounded in a situation water where he could have been knocked out and easily drowned.

But I admit, this is a very tough case. There is guilt on both sides so where does the law draw the line???
Absolutely see your point, I think there is some level of mitigation to be considered at possible sentencing, but he punched a woman, stabbed another one, stabbed five people total, killed a 17-year-old, ditched the knife, never called 911, and lied to the police. This constellation of behaviors is criminal, imo.

Absolutely see your point, I think there is some level of mitigation to be considered at possible sentencing, but he punched a woman, stabbed another one, stabbed five people total, killed a 17-year-old, ditched the knife, never called 911, and lied to the police. This constellation of behaviors is criminal, imo.
And most telling, he didn't immediately seek out LE for, if nothing else, the perceived fear from which (he claims) to have defended himself. For his own protection.

I don't know that you can use self-defense retroactively.

Road rage applies here IMO.

The immediate infraction, how ever gross, is over and one person decides to exact vigilante justice.

When he broke free of them, they were 100% responsible for engaging, taunting, provoking. Chargeable offenses. When he turned back with a deadly weapon, responsibility shifted. He's 100% responsible for that. Chargeable offenses.

There is a vast difference between self-defense and rage. This was rage IMO.

We will be a better world when we learn to keep our hands to ourselves.

And most telling, he didn't immediately seek out LE for, if nothing else, the perceived fear from which (he claims) to have defended himself. For his own protection.

I don't know that you can use self-defense retroactively.

Road rage applies here IMO.

The immediate infraction, how ever gross, is over and one person decides to exact vigilante justice.

When he broke free of them, they were 100% responsible for engaging, taunting, provoking. Chargeable offenses. When he turned back with a deadly weapon, responsibility shifted. He's 100% responsible for that. Chargeable offenses.

There is a vast difference between self-defense and rage. This was rage IMO.

We will be a better world when we learn to keep our hands to ourselves.
Could not agree with you more! This was a lumpy, middle-aged man who had been humiliated by younger people who accurately noticed his weirdness. It was ultimately about reclaiming pride. No one was going to drown him on the river and he didn’t think they would. However, he was going to show them he couldn’t be treated demeaningly. I’m stunned that this is his first contact with the justice system. He obviously was a powder keg.

From what I understand, the punch is alleged at this point with no proof? There were reportedly eyewitnesses, but not sure how reliable their testimony will be. Interesting case to follow. All IMO.

From what I understand, the punch is alleged at this point with no proof? There were reportedly eyewitnesses, but not sure how reliable their testimony will be. Interesting case to follow. All IMO.

I saw the 2 punches in the video when he was down in the water.

Of course the prosecution neglected to show that in their initial presentation. IMO, the defense will likely try to paint a totally different picture based on their frame by frame analysis of the video... which to some degree will be successful.

Again, I am on the fence with the first guy that got stabbed when he hit the man. That is probably okay.. the other stabbings will probably be easy to prove are offensive and not defensive.

Sadly all these 'kids' were WELL above legal alcohol limits, some underage AND admitting to smoking weed. It was a party day on the river, and everyone wanted to outdo each other. ADULT should have walked away BUT that also IMO is why these kids are out of control nowadays. They get away with it and then push further the next time. Its all about viral videos.... and what was the one guy doing instead of helping... videoing. And that video is actually going to be the thing to get a not guilty or hung jury IMO... That video helps the defense much more than the prosecution.

Can someone clarify at what point in the sequence of events the defendant pulled the folded knife from his pocket (IIRC)? And then opened it and commenced to use it?

TIA. And no I’ve not tried to watch or discern from the videos. And my wonderful cable provider has ceased to carry CourtTV. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back