Teacher removes word "gay" from Deck the Halls

Do you know it wasn't until I was an adult that I realised it was the N word, and not knicker? Most nursery rhymes don't make a whole lot of sense anyway.

There's so many changes going on with nursery rhymes and kids songs now that I think are going way OTT....like Baa Baa rainbow sheep instead of Baa Baa Black sheep.

"Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" has a line that goes: Laugh, Kookaburra laugh, Kookaburra gay your life must be."....and they want to change that too.
It's generally adults who take issue with it, not kids.
If kids are giggling over a word, why not open up the dictionary and show them that it has multiple meanings. Gay= happy or merry.

My kids school song has the line "sing for cox, sing for ........" (cox being the name of their sporting team). I've only once seen a teacher give the kids 'that look' when they delieberately sang the word louder.

Meanwhile I have to pinch myself to stop from giggling. Sadly those kids are more mature than I am. LOL

Reminds me of when I was doing my student teaching in London. The group of us American teachers were playing baseball with the kids and teaching them several songs and poems about the game. (It was all very "whole language" back in the early 90s.)

There was another teacher there from Australia, where "root" apparently has a similar meaning to the f word. So when we sang, "We'll root root root for the home team!" he was nearly on the floor laughing and couldn't even explain why to the children.

HILARIOUS. Of course, once he shared we could barely sing it with a straight face either.

As a teacher myself, I kind of feel like teachers who cannot handle little children giggling at silly things should find a different line of work. There's classroom disciplinarian and then there's anal-retentive hard@ss.

I'm just guessing, legal, but surely "Deck the Halls" is public domain by now!

I learned in collage that it last a life time plus 70 years. If he had a will whoever took over the estate would have the rights. Or someone may have bought the rights. It's just to hard to say without knowing when the person died and if they died intestate. I always think of the lady who wrote Happy Birthday, she got ripped off really bad.

http://www.intellectualpropertylawfirms.com/resources/intellectual-property/copyrights/how-long-does

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...teacher-removing-word-gay-deck-164802191.html

One parent said, "By taking the word 'gay' out of 'Deck the Halls,' you are making it a big deal. One word can have different meanings." Another parent voiced, "Can one word in a 150-year-old classic Christmas carol really offend someone?" The negative comments have since been deleted from the school's Facebook page, and wall posts have been disabled. Cherry Knoll Principal Chris Parker is on the parents' side, saying, "This would have been a great opportunity to teach that 'gay' has more than one meaning and is not a bad word." In response to the controversy over the word change, the original lyrics have now been restored.
It would be a shame to deprive schoolkids in the back of the class from being able to snicker and nudge each other at that line...its practically a holiday tradition in itself.

It would be a shame to deprive schoolkids in the back of the class from being able to snicker and nudge each other at that line...its practically a holiday tradition in itself.

When I was in the seventh grade Choir was a semester long requirement. Because everyone had to do it at one point or another, our instructor was one of the most ridiculed/taunted/teased teachers I've ever encountered (poor guy!). But, that didn't stop him from going with whatever he'd selected for our performances-- he unabashedly carried the torch (baton).

Our giggle song (and some just outright refused by remaining silent in protest at the offending lines) was an old ballad. Ballads were popular music, back then-- Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, The Mama's and the Papa's, Simon and Garfunkle-- all current rages. So he was on the right track, right?

I've found a copy of the song by remembering the line everyone hated the most: And who will kiss my ruby lips?

Whawhawha :eek: (junior high, remember?!) ...and I was an alto, so I was in the "boy" section!! then>> :blushing: now>> :floorlaugh:

I don't recall the melody at all...

"He's Gone Away"
(Traditional Folksong)

I'm goin' away for to stay a little while,
But I'm comin' back if I go ten thousand miles.
Oh, who will tie your shoes?
And who will glove you hands?
And who will kiss your ruby lips when I am gone?

Oh, it's papy'll tie my shoes,
And mamy'll glove my hands,
And you will kiss my ruby red lips when you come back!

Oh, he's gone, he's gone away,
For to stay a little while;
But he's comin' back if he goes ten thousand miles.

Look away, look away, look away over Yandro,
On Yandro's high hill, where them white doves are flyin'
From bough to bough and a-matin' with their mates,
So why not me with mine?

For he's gone, oh, he's gone away
For to stay a little while,

I'll go build me a desrick on Yandro's high hill,
Where the wild beasts won't bother me nor hear me cry;
For he's gone, he's gone away for to stay a little while,

Plus, isn't 2nd grade the year of Knock Knock jokes, and such gems as What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Of course they're going to giggle!!

When I was in the seventh grade Choir was a semester long requirement. Because everyone had to do it at one point or another, our instructor was one of the most ridiculed/taunted/teased teachers I've ever encountered (poor guy!). But, that didn't stop him from going with whatever he'd selected for our performances-- he unabashedly carried the torch (baton).

Our giggle song (and some just outright refused by remaining silent in protest at the offending lines) was an old ballad. Ballads were popular music, back then-- Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, The Mama's and the Papa's, Simon and Garfunkle-- all current rages. So he was on the right track, right?

I've found a copy of the song by remembering the line everyone hated the most: And who will kiss my ruby lips?

Whawhawha :eek: (junior high, remember?!) ...and I was an alto, so I was in the "boy" section!! then>> :blushing: now>> :floorlaugh:

I don't recall the melody at all...

"He's Gone Away"
(Traditional Folksong)

I'm goin' away for to stay a little while,
But I'm comin' back if I go ten thousand miles.
Oh, who will tie your shoes?
And who will glove you hands?
And who will kiss your ruby lips when I am gone?

Oh, it's papy'll tie my shoes,
And mamy'll glove my hands,
And you will kiss my ruby red lips when you come back!

Oh, he's gone, he's gone away,
For to stay a little while;

Look away, look away, look away over Yandro,
On Yandro's high hill, where them white doves are flyin'
From bough to bough and a-matin' with their mates,
So why not me with mine?

For he's gone, oh, he's gone away
For to stay a little while,

I'll go build me a desrick on Yandro's high hill,
Where the wild beasts won't bother me nor hear me cry;
For he's gone, he's gone away for to stay a little while,

Plus, isn't 2nd grade the year of Knock Knock jokes, and such gems as What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Of course they're going to giggle!!
Thats awesome!Thanks for sharing that!

Teacher and the parents. As a parent, I have already taken the time to explain some of the dual meanings of several words.

From the link in the OP:
First- and second-graders would not stop giggling when they sang the word "gay."

Seriously, we are talking about 1st and 2nd graders here, who will likely giggle about a great many things. I know my 3rd grade son still does. They need to know when it is not appropriate to laugh or giggle in class. Period.

ahhh it's not always just kids, one of the trains here ends at "cockfosters" and I laugh like a moron everytime they announce it.

by no means do I think they should change the station name :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4