GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 different investigators doing different tasks. Tremendous amount of overtime. No complaints from anyone, they wanted the case solved.

Bold for emphasis. Wanted, not want. Implying they've got it figured out. Nitpicky maybe, but this was one of the things that stood out to me. He spoke from the perspective of someone who knows all the answers and has solved the puzzle. He might not be able to share his answers with us yet, but his words and facial expressions seemed to indicate (IMO) that he knows it all, and is pleased (if that's the right word for it) with what they've found.

The people commenting about him losing weight were not kidding... Wow.

Smooth, remember what angelanalyzes discussed about Mcds weight gain in wierd areas and a side effect from Rx drugs? Very solid point you make.

I heard from a very reliable source from Lilburn who grew up around McD; that he has always been spooky, and in highschool they were really concerned about his wellbeing.

So, I do not doubt he might have shown instability at Mercer Undergrad. I think we need to start talking about these red flags. Look at the VT killing spree,there were red flags for that students well.

Thanks for bringing up VT. I know that many have repeatedly stated McD was "infatuated" with LG, but my alternate concept (AGAIN, A CONCEPT, JMO AND ALL THAT...) is that people on the fringe FOR WHATEVER REASON sometimes turn on others. I find it much more probable---IMHO, that he had a closet rage. I find a scenario much akin to the way the Columbine boys or the VT killer acted out to be valid. A lot of times parents, friends and teachers have no idea what lurks in the minds of people who somehow feel disenfranchised or marginalized by their peer groups. I personally don't buy the "infatuation" and lean more toward a disdain that escalated in the worst way.

AS ALWAYS, JMO....it's an idea that just hits me as valid.

The red flags are the history I have asked about. Now, people are talking. Where were they a month ago? Using hindsight makes me wonder if they are totally honest. If they had come forward from the beginning, I would take more stock in the "being spooky" or "acting strange" comments. Coming in now almost smells of seeking attention on their parts, too.

I want the right person to be punished fully. At this point, it seems SM is our guy. I hope all the evidence nails him to the ground. But, I hate people crawling out of the woodwork NOW to claim their own 15 minutes of fame. They didn't bother helping when it could have been useful in rounding up this case, but now that they can come forward and get some attention, they want to say, "Oh yeah! I knew he was like that all along. I've known him since ...."
I'm not sure who you're speaking of specifically, but I do know some individuals are reluctant to drag out all the dirt before a suspect is charged. Suppose these people had spoken out earlier, adding to the picture of a deranged killer only to have LE later clear him of all suspicion. Wouldn't that have been unfair? Wouldn't it have made the ordeal so much worse for him, and added to the difficulty of moving forward in his life? I've seen this in many similar situations, and it's often respect that causes people to refrain from speaking out prematurely.

I'm not sure who you're speaking of specifically, but I do know some individuals are reluctant to drag out all the dirt before a suspect is charged. Suppose these people had spoken out earlier adding, to the picture of a deranged killer only to have LE later clear him of all suspicion. Wouldn't that have been unfair? Wouldn't it have made the ordeal so much worse for him, and added to the difficulty of moving forward in his life? I've seen this in many similar situations, and it's often respect that causes people to refrain from speaking out prematurely.

Agree. and Cosign. Living in this town and being out and about with regularity means that I hear all sorts of things from extremely reliable sources. In fact, much of what has surfaced here and finally corroborated by LE was "old news" to me. I don't think restraint is ever a bad thing especially when it comes to rumors or perceptions. I might think any number of things if I really internalized locals' perceptions of both LG and McD, but sometimes keeping mouth shut is just better for everyone---especially when a capital case is at stake. No perception of a person equals evidence in a criminal case---and, IMHO, sleuthing and subjectivity don't go hand in hand.

I wonder if the parents have now gotten a confession out of him.
Parents have a way, you know.
Could be another reason why some family members that were so vocal have gone silent.

McDaniel has asked for a commitment hearing, it's been scheduled for Aug 17th
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/03/1653772/mcdaniel-asks-for-commitment-hearing.html

I find this interesting.
Attorneys, what's up here?
Wonder if he wants to know what the prosecutors have so he can make a deal??? a plan?

What do the Prosecutors have to disclose? or not.

"Before the conference, McDaniel had his first appearance before a magistrate on the murder charge. He asked for a commitment hearing in the case.

That hearing was scheduled for Aug. 17. During a commitment hearing, prosecutors typically present more details of the case against a defendant to a judge.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/03/1653772/mcdaniel-asks-for-commitment-hearing.html#ixzz1U06MC4sp

Thanks clkwrks for the video clip.. It is a rather strange clip, huh? Nothing said and maybe 10secs focused on McD.. Yes blinking alot!!

Noticeably different.. He has lost a tremendous amount of weight in a months time..IMO..
He has shaved all of his facial hair.. IMO making him appear much younger and youth like..
And then as I said seems to have lost quite a bit of weight.. His face 1 month ago seemed to be quite bloated IMO.. I wonder if there was any drug use? Just a question and I do mean prescription drugs as well.. Many of them have edema as a side effect.. Just a thought tho.. It definitely could just be bloated from being chubby and his having lost a bit of weight in a months time..

I am really questioning his emotional stability. And just as Agent Lundy posted upthread there has been discussion on Macon.com that there were some problems with mental stability regarding SM in undergrad school and that Mercer was aware of these problems way back then..

I have a strong feeling there are some very very serious issues within SM emotional/mental health wise..

Do I believe for a moment that he is any bit insane(by the legal definition) ABSOLUTELY NOT!! and the only thing that has to be shown to prove HE IS NOT INSANE is the complete and total video footage from June 30th!! It is bone chilling to go back and watch it in FULL!!

Oh yeah, his pupils are dilated or that is some funky deceptive lighting. Someone's on meds IMHO.
Also, seeing this video just made everything even more sad. What an innocent looking little pup he is, if you don't know the context of the situation [he's making a face like that even after being charged with such a crime...bizarre]. He looks like he has lost some weight, either that or shaving had an effect on how thin he looks.
God forbid I ever have a son that precious and then have to face a reality like that of Stephen's mother right now. I'd want to throw myself on the sword to protect him. He is not cut out for prison.
This is all so senseless. SMH, Stephen. :banghead:

sandstorm said:
To my Websleuth Friends,
My feelings regarding McD's murder charge took me by surprise.
Many of you have expressed the same sentiment on your posts.
Today is a bittersweet day.
Hence, this summary of my feelings and thoughts.

When this crime first came to light, I presumed Stephen’s innocence.
I read every article and considered that maybe this was one of those unpredictable, random crimes in which the real killer was still on the loose. I even hoped this was the case.
However, as the facts unraveled and the events unfolded from June 30th until Aug 1,
I became more and more convinced that Stephen was the perpetrator.
On top of the facts and circumstances that were published, in the end, it was the aired interview that finally tipped the scale for me.
Many people are convinced that Stephen’s reaction was authentic and that he was deeply upset when he was informed that a body had been found.
I, too, believe he was deeply upset and in shock, but for entirely different reasons.

When Michelle Quesada said: 'the body… they recovered....'
Stephen’s only response was: 'BODY?'
He did not ask, “ Where?
is it Lauren? Are you sure it is Lauren?
What happened to her?”

Instead, he almost fainted, had difficulty breathing, and had to sit down.
Right then and there, Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught.The trash has not been picked up at Barristers Hall Apartments.
Lauren's status took an immediate turn from:
MISSING PERSON to HOMICIDE VICTIM.

Last night, when I read that Stephen was charged with the murder of Lauren, I felt relief for Lauren's family. What a deeper plunge into the hearts of her family if the person who took Lauren's life and dismembered her was never charged. Not that justice can ever be completely served for nothing can bring back Lauren, but to have her perpetrator walk free would be unbearable.

The lives of Lauren’s family have been forever changed:
Every holiday, every family gathering, and every birthday,
Lauren’s absence, her silence, will be visible and heart-breakingly tangible.
The lives of Lauren's family will never be the same.
They will never get over this.
How could they?

On the other hand, after reading the murder charge, my heart ached for Stephen’s family.
They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime:
Killed a young woman and dismembered her?
No, that is impossible, law enforcement has charged the wrong person, they will say…

And then there is Stephen’s poor heartbroken Mother.
She will never believe the son she adores, her handsome young 'lawyer - son', could do this regardless of what evidence and proof is shown to her. She will always be convinced that this was a ‘set up’, some sort of bad mistake, a mix up, and that her son is completely innocent. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth, but I seriously doubt his Mother ever will.

The lives of Stephen’s family are also changed forever…
while Stephen is away....
always hoping for the truth to be revealed….
for the real killer to be found.

This is all so very sad and heartbreaking.
Two young people who had the world at their fingertips,
Two lives full of accomplishment, hope, and promise,
With such high accolades: law school graduates,
Both on the high road of life with bright futures....
All lost.
Completely destroyed.

One is dead and dismembered:
Lauren Teresa Giddings - age 27
A church is prepared for the funeral service as relatives scour the Ocmulgee River’s edge looking for remains.

One is in jail charged with 1 count of murder and 2 counts of burglary:
Stephen Mark McDaniel - Inmate ID 145875 - age 25

And we sit in disbelief as we look up toward Heaven and wonder....
Why and how did this come to pass ….

Lauren’s Obituary
http://donaldson.funeralplan2....

Stephen’s Inmate information
http://www.co.bibb.ga.us/BSOIn...

Stephen’s 3 part interview:
http://www.newscentralga.com/n...

This is well organized, great writing, however, the bolded parts of your post confuse me. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth? They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime? Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught?

There has been no trial. Charged does not mean guilty and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I love that part of it, especially if I was accused of something I may not have done. I bet you would want that too if you were accused of something you may not have done, as well. It's just the best way to operate. That's why it's called the justice system.

Hi clu! Just wondering if it were either of the meds Neurontin or Lyrica that you were speaking of that you took for nerve pain and had negative effects regarding your eyes?
Tia!

ETA: oops sorry.. I now see you already answer my question.. I totally missed it :crazy:

Even knowing he has been accused of a heinous murder, when watching that video, I felt sorry for him.

What is it about this guy? Think I'll go watch the June 30th interview to remind myself how good he is at lying.

I know exactly how you feel. That video of him imo lying and pretending only goes so far though, I still see someone who needed help. I am, however, of the somewhat [seemingly] rare opinion that even murderers and sociopaths [not saying he qualifies as one or doesn't] deserve sympathy and need help. The help doesn't usually work all that well in the case of a sociopath [again, I really don't know that Stephen does or doesn't qualify, not enough information] but I still feel they deserve it.
I do think Stephen certainly knows how to lie and manipulate, but I'm not sure if he is all there, all the time. Sad.

I find this interesting.
Attorneys, what's up here?
Wonder if he wants to know what the prosecutors have so he can make a deal??? a plan?

What do the Prosecutors have to disclose? or not.

"Before the conference, McDaniel had his first appearance before a magistrate on the murder charge. He asked for a commitment hearing in the case.

That hearing was scheduled for Aug. 17. During a commitment hearing, prosecutors typically present more details of the case against a defendant to a judge.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/03/1653772/mcdaniel-asks-for-commitment-hearing.html#ixzz1U06MC4sp

Nothing really exciting, although he will have to decide if he's going to plead guilty or not guilty for that stage. It's a probable cause hearing, prosecutor will have to show probable cause that McD committed the crime he is charged with, before handing it over to the GJ for an indictment.

They already got a warrant to inspect his apartment, so they were already able to show probable cause that evidence of the murder would be found there. I'm assuming much of that will be sufficient to get probable cause that McD is the one that committed it. Only difference is that, unlike the warrant, McD actually gets to argue against this one, and present evidence of his own if he wants.

This is well organized, great writing, however, the bolded parts of your post confuse me. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth? They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime? Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught?

There has been no trial. Charged does not mean guilty and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I love that part of it, especially if I was accused of something I may not have done. I bet you would want that too if you were accused of something you may not have done, as well. It's just the best way to operate. That's why it's called the justice system.

I think the OP [Sandstorm] was writing from the perspective of "if the MPD have their man, then..." and for the purposes of this specific forum [it's called Websleuths so you're gonna have people with theories and opinions], I think that's a fair perspective. I have yet to really see anyone on this forum angrily demanding a lynching, most people are searching, upset, confused by this crime and the possible perpetrator. I would bet and hope that most of the regular posters here would not convict McDaniel at trial based on the information we have available and confirmed, but it's fair to have personal opinions in this venue IMO.

I wonder if the parents have now gotten a confession out of him.
Parents have a way, you know.
Could be another reason why some family members that were so vocal have gone silent.

Can you explain what you mean? AFIK, there have only been three occasions where McD's family was quoted in the media. Twice from his Mom and once from an Aunt.

I know exactly how you feel. That video of him imo lying and pretending only goes so far though, I still see someone who needed help. I am, however, of the somewhat [seemingly] rare opinion that even murderers and sociopaths [not saying he qualifies as one or doesn't] deserve sympathy and need help. The help doesn't usually work all that well in the case of a sociopath [again, I really don't know that Stephen does or doesn't qualify, not enough information] but I still feel they deserve it.
I do think Stephen certainly knows how to lie and manipulate, but I'm not sure if he is all there, all the time. Sad.

I hope we hear from his parents now that he has been charged. Whatever they have to say about their son will be telling, IMO.

Stephen-McDaniel-In-Court-%20%282%29.jpg
1ptrans.gif
Stephen McDaniel In Court (2)
http://www.13wmaz.com/slideshows/2011/gallery.aspx?slideshowname=Stephen-McDaniel-Hearing-August-3

There are several photo's up from McD's court appearance at the link above. I'm trying to see what you guys pointed out about his pupils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get