GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/breaking/article/138464/4/Police-Chief-Evidence-Led-to-McDaniel
Today, Macon police crime-scene investigators returned to the Georgia Avenue apartment complex where Lauren Giddings and Stephen McDaniel lived.

Burns said investigators were photographing the inside of Lauren Giddings' apartment. The investigators, wearing rubber gloves, spent about three hours at the scene.
I wonder why?
The place is empty and a lot of cleanup/repair has already been done.
...and why wear gloves?

Can you explain what you mean? AFIK, there have only been three occasions where McD's family was quoted in the media. Twice from his Mom and once from an Aunt.
Not official, but in site comments, etc...
Of course, it could simply be they know it's the best thing to do right now.

This is well organized, great writing, however, the bolded parts of your post confuse me. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth? They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime? Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught?

There has been no trial. Charged does not mean guilty and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I love that part of it, especially if I was accused of something I may not have done. I bet you would want that too if you were accused of something you may not have done, as well. It's just the best way to operate. That's why it's called the justice system.

:truce:

Not trying to be argumentative, but "innocent until proven guilty" is for the justice system. It does not always necessarily apply to the public. The public is always entitled to their "opinion" of guilt based on the information that we have been given or we have "sleuthed". Luckily, those that already have an opinion of guilt will not be allowed to sit on the jury. That is another great aspect of our justice system.

ETA: As another WS member pointed out, they may be talking about "IF" Stephen is guilty, then...

The WMAZ version begins AFTER McD has learned the body has been discovered.

The FOX link is the FULL version in which the beginning of the video shows McD discussing Lauren UNAWARE that the body has been discovered and his reactions when he learns the body has been discovered.

IMHO, watching him as he is told that a body was discovered, I think he is truly in shock. The shock is likely from learning that the body was not "hauled" away before being discovered - IMHO. Also, it is apparent when he sits down after learning this that he appears to be almost hyperventilating (whether conceived or real). After returning, he appears to be "trying not to cry", but this to me seems like an act. It is more like he is still in shock.

Also, in the interviews he mentions going to the school to "look" for Lauren (with her other friends). Then he mentions going into her apt with her friends and everything seems to "be in it's place". He seems to have done the very thing that many perpetrators of horrible crimes do. They insert themselves into the investigation in order to follow any possible leads to them. I do not blame the investigators for looking at him closely right from the start.

One final thought - I watched 48 Hours Mystery last night about an older case. Do you remember Col. Russell Williams? The way that the interview was conducted was very impressive. RW seemed unbreakable with his demeanor. He acted as though nothing could touch him. The interviewer took his time, conducted a very professional interview, did not point any fingers - until just the right moment. Then, he meticulously began pointing out all of the evidence that lead to RW. RW did crack, admit his guilt, and provide a map so that they could find her body.

How I wish that all interviews could be this successful!

I don't really think rumors of his strangeness are new or sudden anyway. I remember them being around ever since he was known to the public. In fact, I thought that was why a lot of people argued against people who automatically suspected him saying sometimes just because someone is weird doesn't mean they are a murderer.

He looks shell-shocked in that video and those pictures. I wonder what he is thinking right now

Thanks Knox for the up close pic of SM.. This really makes things alot easier to see than attempted to view his eyes from video at a distance.. I, too was thinking the eyes appeared dilated from the distant video.. Not that it meant anything as we know so many Rx meds like paxil, zoloft, and effexor have side effects which cause the eyes to dilate(all of which are anti anxiety/anti depressants and I could see easily any of them being prescribed to him at this point).. But now in seeing a clear view of his eyes at a much closer range where we can clearly see his pupils.. IMO they appear absolutely normal..

Thanks for the pic..

I'm responding to the line I respectfully bolded in your post.

I see exactly where you are coming from, but I've always had a hesitation to rule somebody IN because there was no other known person to rule out. I guess I've found it reckless to assume the one and only known POI is always going to be the guilty party because of so many other cases I'm aware of where there was an unknown person in the picture and nobody knew to LOOK for or talk about, speculate or theorize about anything to do with that person because we had no idea that person was the culprit.

For example, Elizabeth Smart was taken by someone from her home. Long story short, it was a baffling case, but one man's name materialized due to a particular kind of hat he wore, and he took his own life in jail from the intense judgement by the media, (specifically Nancy Grace, who named him and showed his face over and over and said he was the guilty man) but he was NOT THE RIGHT MAN. HE WAS AN INNOCENT MAN. He did nothing to Smart, yet he was placed deep inside the pressure cooker and he cooked his own goose because that was easier than taking on the great numbers of people that were being swayed by Nancy Grace and other members of the media who were turning the public into mad vultures circling him, just waiting.

This ruined this man's life. And he ended it. Sad to know he was truly an innocent man because we all saw the real low life sob that took Smart from her bedroom...and it was NOT the man everyone was pointing at. (They only pointed at him because he was the ONLY one whose name was continually brought forth by someone in the media who thought it appropriate to drag him to his demise behind her little red wagon. In the end, she didn't apologize for being as wrong as two left shoes. She went on exercising the errors of her gut.)

So, my point is, just because one person is known and happens to be the only person the public has to launch their hatred toward at this specific time, does not always mean there is no other person involved. I realize in this case that SD has been charged, but the evidence must speak before I tear down a man's reputation, education, and his whole life with an assumption of guilt. I prefer to assume innocence until I can see all the cards on the table and a jury does their duty.

My gut tells me so much about so many things, even saved my life, but the truth is, we all have one. I can feel something in my gut all day long, but my gut has to wait in the hall when a trial begins.

I believe that you are talking about Richard Ricci in the Smart case? I agree that Richard Ricci was villainized by the media; however, he was not lily white. He was was on parole for a 1983 attempted murder of police officer Mike Hill. He also burglarized many homes in the area of the Smart family homes and it was believed that he also burglarized the Smart family home. The police also focused heavily on him even though Ed Smart indicated that he was not the right guy (according to his daughters description of the abductor). A big note is that he did not take his own life, he died of a brain hemorrhage.

6pm news on WMAZ said SMD maintains his innocence and plans to enter a plea of not guilty.

A note on the door of SMD's parents' home says "no interviews."

I have just heard the news, and have caught up on the thread. I have many thoughts and questions, but, I will wait until after the presser for most of my questions.

A few I have now are:

1. Colonel Mustard alluded to the fact that there are possibly ramifications due to the fact that LE did not start truly investigating until Thursday morning. My concern is the TOD. What if Lauren was still alive?
2. If the onset of Lauren's friends beginning their search Wednesday night set forth the motion for SM to begin his process of removing the evidence, then that is the time frame that LE (and, sadly, Lauren's family) is dealing with for a search radius for the rest of Lauren's remains.

3. If SM dismembered and got rid of Lauren's unrecovered remains prior to Wednesday night, then, again, the TOD will be of utmost importance in narrowing the search radius. SM's known and documented whereabouts during the time frame in question, will prove most important.

4. Where was SM known to frequent, in the Macon area? Outdoors? The river?

5. The fact that LE has not done a river search, is not a good indicator for a recovery outcome for Lauren. It suggests to me that LE does not have any good indicators of where she might be. Of course, the fact that her torso was put in a garbage bin, indicates that it's possible her other remains are in another waste bin, with a different location. But would SM have known when the garbage pick-up's were? Would his computer show a search for garbage pick-up days?

6. A key (and gruesome) question regarding the dismemberment is this. Was Lauren Giddings dismembered out of passion or for "convenience" in ridding of the evidence? The answer to that question will tell us many things. According to the renown forensic psychiatrist that was on JJP's show last weekend (summarized by me on Thread 4), a non-serial killer who dismembers almost always does so out of passion and/or rage towards the victim.

7. Now that SM has been formally charged, is the discussion about his possibly nefarious hobbies, such as knife collecting or survivalist interests open for discussion?

8. Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that SM will reveal where the rest of Lauren's remains are. That would involve admitting guilt. In the sad and gruesome case of Matthew Hoffman, the death penalty was taken off the table, in exchange for the information on the whereabouts of his 3 dismembered victims (he had put them in a massive, hollowed out tree, he was a tree trimmer by trade). I do believe it was his mother, who was able to encourage him to disclose the whereabouts of his victims. Perhaps, in this case, it may be possible for someone close to SM to encourage him to reveal the location of Lauren's remains, appealing to his religious beliefs or otherwise. Of course, that involves his family accepting the charges, which may not be possible. I guess we will see.

9. Does Texas EquiSearch only assist families trying to find loved ones who are alive? Would they be able to help the Giddings in their search?

10. Last, but not least, are there more victims, or was this alleged heinous act SM's first?

I worried about this too, hoping she wasn't being kept some where suffering during the days she was missing, but I don't think he would have had time to kill her and then clean up after a dismemberment in the 7 or 8 hours between the time the police were first there and when they came back. He also would have had to leave the premises to dispose of the other body parts. I think, more than anything, they may have found the torso inside one of the apartments (#1) rather than in the dumpster, where it was when they came back later that morning. There may have also been more trace evidence that he hadn't thoroughly cleaned yet. JMO

That was my thought Smooth. Normal, but very, very vacant.

IMHO, watching him as he is told that a body was discovered, I think he is truly in shock. The shock is likely from learning that the body was not "hauled" away before being discovered - IMHO. Also, it is apparent when he sits down after learning this that he appears to be almost hyperventilating (whether conceived or real). After returning, he appears to be "trying not to cry", but this to me seems like an act. It is more like he is still in shock.

Also, in the interviews he mentions going to the school to "look" for Lauren (with her other friends). Then he mentions going into her apt with her friends and everything seems to "be in it's place". He seems to have done the very thing that many perpetrators of horrible crimes do. They insert themselves into the investigation in order to follow any possible leads to them. I do not blame the investigators for looking at him closely right from the start.

I still view his reaction as exaggerated and partially contrived [he may have been surprised to find out the body was found, but he was trying to feign shock that there was a body at all, which threw off his sincerity since he probably knew very well that there was a body to be found], but I definitely think it could be genuine and only strange seeming to me due to his bizarre affect that distorts all of his reactions, not just this one.

OH, no, I know that...that is not what I meant. Since she was doing the online prep for the Bar, could he claim that he was using that key to sneak into her room and read her online prep information and NOT reading her emails for stalking, obsession purposes.

It might look different to a jury.

Sorry, I misunderstood, but my answer would still be the same. It would not have been a minor, excusable infraction. Besides, he had access to all the same materials Lauren did. You can choose to take either course or none at all, but since he was taking the actual class, rather than the online class, he had access to all the materials as well as to classroom discussions with other students and professors. Bar review is a long, arduous process and he wouldn't have been under any immediate stress over it since the bar exam was a month away. You basically have tons (and yes I mean tons) of materials and a few months to learn every single bit of it. Its a methodical process of spending hours and hours each day in solitude to prepare. He would have gained no advantage whatsoever by looking at someone else's materials.

Search for remains continues:

http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/l...continues-search-remains/56213?utm_source=fbp

"He believes the body parts were put in a trash bin at Mercer Law School, and Golba says commercial trash from there is taken to the Wolf Creek Landfill in Twiggs County.

Mann says, "Through the process of elimination, we found out the city landfill was pretty thoroughly investigated, but we also found out that there is another landfill that was looked at, but not as closely."

Late Tuesday night, Kaitlyn Wheeler wrote 13WMAZ's Lauren DiSpirito by e-mail:

"I think I can speak for all of our family and friends when I say we will all sleep a bit easier tonight! I personally think this is a big step in the right direction. I also would like to say that my heart goes out to the McDaniel family tonight and I will be praying for them."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...h-Murder?odyssey=mod|newswell|img|FRONTPAGE|p

That Kaitlyn is able to express concern for the McDaniel family is very kind.

The Real Reason To Have a Preliminary Hearing
More often than not, probable cause is established in the eyes of the court of inquiry. So why have a preliminary hearing? Discovery, discovery, discovery! However, you must engage in discovery without appearing to be on a fishing expedition. As long as you conform to the law and rules of evidence, you should be able to get as much discovery as is available.

Much, much more explaining details and reasons for a commitment hearing and what all can come of it:
http://www.georgiadefenders.com/preliminaryhearing.purpose.htm

Nothing really exciting, although he will have to decide if he's going to plead guilty or not guilty for that stage. It's a probable cause hearing, prosecutor will have to show probable cause that McD committed the crime he is charged with, before handing it over to the GJ for an indictment.

They already got a warrant to inspect his apartment, so they were already able to show probable cause that evidence of the murder would be found there. I'm assuming much of that will be sufficient to get probable cause that McD is the one that committed it. Only difference is that, unlike the warrant, McD actually gets to argue against this one, and present evidence of his own if he wants.

Exactly. They won't have to show all of their cards, just enough to establish probable cause on the charge for which he is being held pending the Grand Jury indictment. Typically, in Georgia, if you are arrested without a warrant, you are entitled to a preliminary hearing to force the prosecution to show the probable cause for the arrest. If you are arrested pursuant to a warrant, you don't have that same right, but you can file a motion for a commitment hearing. An arrest with a warrant requires a sworn affidavit as to probable cause anyway, but the commitment hearing gives the defendant's attorney an opportunity to cross examine the prosecution as to the facts establishing probable cause. (not all arrest warrants are based on truthful facts, shocking, right?) A preliminary hearing or commitment hearing gives the defense an opportunity to challenge those alleged facts by cross examining the witnesses who testify against the defendant in that hearing and sometimes, but very rarely, putting on evidence of their own.

Search for remains continues:

http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/l...continues-search-remains/56213?utm_source=fbp

"He believes the body parts were put in a trash bin at Mercer Law School, and Golba says commercial trash from there is taken to the Wolf Creek Landfill in Twiggs County.

Mann says, "Through the process of elimination, we found out the city landfill was pretty thoroughly investigated, but we also found out that there is another landfill that was looked at, but not as closely."

I questioned this a while back.

I thought he may have put them in his backpack or car and disposed of them in the dumpsters at school.

http://www.mercer.edu/ehso/Attached%20Documents/EMS/EMS.Manual-MCN.2011.pdf
Photo's of the recycling dumpsters in this document.

Where are the trash dumpsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member