The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Bush just announced the Red Cross number as 1-800-HELP NOW.

I especially like the barrier reef idea. As you said, they need to find someplace to dump all of that debris. Might as well put it to practical use.

As for your idea about NO becoming a great pond.... elsewhere I proposed that they let the water stay put and use the area as a research center -- there are all kinds of things we can learn from this site and ways for it to be put to practical use WITH the water. It just couldn't be an urban center again. The site could also co-function as a historical monument

Check this out guys - this is absolutely wonderful - the only problem is that there is no way to get this information to the people in need - Maybe if enough people know about it, it can, somehow, spread by word of mouth to these victims.

http://www.craigslist.org/roo/

poco said:
Check this out guys - this is absolutely wonderful - the only problem is that there is no way to get this information to the people in need - Maybe if enough people know about it, it can, somehow, spread by word of mouth to these victims.

How do they screen these people? I'd hate to be robbed blind--or worse!!

poco said:

That is awesome, but boy I would be so scared. You just don't know what type of people would respond. I mean many of the misplaced and homeless are criminals just as much as if life was normal in their cities. So how do you go about deciding who you take in? I think it is wonderful, don't get me wrong. I hope more people can do it. I love seeing good American generousity.

I think it is great too, but must agree - would be really hard to open my home to people I know, let alone people I don't know.

Makes you proud to be an American!! At least we (common people) have hearts. God Bless! :blowkiss:

nanandjim said:
What is this statement supposed to mean??
Nothing other than we seem to find a way to help these people (military, police, civilians, etc.). SHEESH

There is a drive going on for essential items - diapers, sheets, pillows, toothbrushes/toothpaste, soap, water, pkgd snacks - going on now through Sunday. They specifically said no used clothing or bedding. So, I won't be taking my big bag of clothes, lol. But I'm going to the dollar store and will get bags of the above mentioned itmes, that way I can buy more things and feel like I'm doing something that will make a difference, although still small.

Also mentioned on the noon news that coming up at the 5:00 news info about "hosting" a family that are staying in local hotels, as many now have no jobs and are running out of money. I'm seriously considering this but have to discuss it with my husband. I've been sitting here all week, feeling helpless and wanting to do something and this is a gesture that would require hardly any effort on our part. But I'm very scared about a stranger(s) coming into my home and staying here while my husband is at work and I'm at school. I guess I could take my jewelry box over to my MIL because I have some very sentimental pieces, and frankly, it would just alleviate any worrying I might do. I wouldn't be worried about big items like t.v., computer, furniture being taken because where would they go with them? I hate to sound so paranoid or suspicious but it's scary to take in strangers.

Also, what if it just didn't work out, how cruel would it be to tell someone they had to leave?

I guess I should just sleep on it and pray about it.

WE have a center opened up in a church way up in N. Alabama. Some of the people from La had to drive this far to find a hotel room. They ran out of money. A local church opened up a shelter and is providing food, etc.

I spoke to our local American Red Cross chapter and asked what would be the most effective way to help those affected by Katrina's devistation. They told me that monetary donations are the best way to help. They don't have any means of transporting items into the flooded areas and the money would be used to purchase items in those areas (I asked where that would be since most places nearby are wiped out) and she told me that most of the shopping is being done in Albama and Georgia. The $$ will used to buy food, medicine, diapers, clothes...etc.

poco said:

With my luck, I'd get one of the looters with an AK-47. :eek: I did offer a spare bedroom to a fellow WSers family and that doesn't bother me, but I'm a bit fearful of taking in complete strangers I know nothing about.

bakerprune64 said:
I spoke to our local American Red Cross chapter and asked what would be the most effective way to help those affected by Katrina's devistation. They told me that monetary donations are the best way to help. They don't have any means of transporting items into the flooded areas and the money would be used to purchase items in those areas (I asked where that would be since most places nearby are wiped out) and she told me that most of the shopping is being done in Albama and Georgia. The $$ will used to buy food, medicine, diapers, clothes...etc.
The Red Cross is WONDERFUL!! They help so many people! A well known radio personality in our area got a big truck from a dealership, got a donation for the gas (very much needed as well) for the truck and got donations and was on his way to a drop off down there. He's always raising money for St. Jude's around here and loved by most everyone. We took diapers, wipes, bleach, etc. The turn out made you cry. It's just a drop in the bucket, but at least you feel like you are doing something!

Those that have evacuated are between a rock and a hard place. Fema dosent provide funding until people can access personal damages. People cant access damages because they cant go home. They cant afford to continue staying in hotels without aid. Its like a cat chasing its tail.

tybee204 said:
Those that have evacuated are between a rock and a hard place. Fema dosent provide funding until people can access personal damages. People cant access damages because they cant go home. They cant afford to continue staying in hotels without aid. Its like a cat chasing its tail.
One of my coworkers said the FEMA office in Ft. Walton Beach is giving people enough money to pay for temporary lodging and food until they can get more permanent arrangements made for them. I hope that's true.

Those folks may have been able to get back in to access damages then return that form to FEMA for temp aid. Residents of NOLA are not able to complete the required forms to recieve temp aid.

My grandmother in the mountains of NC suffered very severe damage last year from Hurricanes Frances and Ivan. She didn't have to fill out any forms......just had to call the FEMA phone numbers and they came to her. The paperwork was all done after she got her money.

However, if people don't have access to phones or can't even get to their homes to see if they need FEMA, they can't call either. It's a lose lose situation.

Lesleegp said:
My grandmother in the mountains of NC suffered very severe damage last year from Hurricanes Frances and Ivan. She didn't have to fill out any forms......just had to call the FEMA phone numbers and they came to her. The paperwork was all done after she got her money.

However, if people don't have access to phones or can't even get to their homes to see if they need FEMA, they can't call either. It's a lose lose situation.

FEMA will set up locations near evacuation centers. Here in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Houston, San Antonio, where ever there are large groups of evacuees. You just walk up to the table, have a seat, make your claim, let them know where you are staying, and they will process the claim and get back to you. They do this on a regular basis after hurricanes, so I'd imagine that's how they'll handle this instance. The only difference will be that we now have a larger number of claimants. And now they will be using satellite pics. to predetermine damage instead of eyeball descriptions of damage.

kgeaux said:
You just walk up to the table, have a seat, make your claim, let them know where you are staying, and they will process the claim and get back to you.
It will be a huge line up (days) waiting for a seat at a table - I think the scale of this disaster is inconceivable and some other processes will have to be used.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back