Why This case Is So Popular ??

Bumping this thread.

My reason: I can only focus on this one case--because it is so convoluted. Since it is so complex, it may go on for months. Weird, but yesterday, I "received,"(I know should be on psychic thread) that this case will not be resolved until September 2009.

Media coverage. Period.

Parents kill their children every day. The media reports it for a few days, someone is arrested (or not) and the whole thing quietly fades away. There is simply nothing to talk about anymore.

In this case, the grandparents chased and courted the media and gave people a lot to talk about. Florida's Sunshine Laws allowing the release of thousands of pages of documents gave the media and the public a lot to talk about. Attracted by the media coverage, a whole host of bizarre characters showed up to make names for themselves which gave the media and people even more to talk about. Without all that information in everyone's face day after day this case would have faded into the woodwork months ago. The public would have lost interest, followed shortly by the bloodsuckers.

There is nothing particularly unique about a mother killing her child. There is nothing remotely unique about Casey Anthony either. She's just a common criminal. Heck, people are not even talking about her (or Caylee) most of the time anymore. They talk about Baez, bounty hunters, shady kid finder orgs, shady PR reps, bizarre grandparents, smuggled bracelets, suicide attempts and macabre dolls. It's a reality soap opera and that's why it's talked about.

This is by far the best explanation for the why this case is so popular. I agree that there is nothing unique about KC, or any mother that kills their child.

I'm trying to follow another trial at this time, (Riley Ann Sawyers) and hope to see a verdict soon in that case.

It has been the agressive media in Orlando that has fueled the interest in this case. Other media outlets picked it up and ran with it because it's about numbers and profit.

Sadly, Caylee is but one of the several hundred children that were killed by their Mother last year.

Caylee's big beautiful brown eyes are what captured my attention.The media played the biggest part though.They brought this case front and center.No question about that.

I was just laying in bed last night thinking about why I am into this case. For me it is the ridiculous behavior of the A's and KC, and the constant twists and turns. Having it in Orlando where I lived for quite some time is another interest for me.

I know this is going to sound awful, but without the A's/KC, Caylee is just another missing child. Sure, she is cute and sweet, but so are 1000's of other missing children!!! Plenty of other moms have done horrible things (Baby Grace comes to mind) and they don't get the press. It's all the DRAMA and the seeming lack of attention to the victim from her family that keeps it up front. Add JB and his "dream team", the meter reader, etc. and it is just an unbelievable story.

for me it was the instant access to everyone's personal lives. what can i say? it's certainly voyueristic, but also extremely interesting to get such a peek into others' lives.

I remember the day the story broke. I was just starting my work day, looking at a huge pile of paperwork on my desk... and aimlessly browsing the internet for any excuse not to get started on it. I remember reading the initial story on CNN, way back on July 17th, when the details were still so foggy. At my first skim on the story, it seemed to me like some sort of weird misunderstanding / custody issue. Grandma thought mom had the baby. Mom thought nanny had the baby. Maybe dad has the baby? These were my initial thoughts, and I honestly thought it would be some misunderstanding (still a pretty horrible thing to "lose" a baby, but I didn't think it would be anything like this...) that would get sorted out in a few hours. Ready to move on to the next story...

But then I noticed the original article had a link to Casey's myspace page! I love myspace! I already did my fair share of lurking there, but here was a new reason to dig around (and it was long before anyone involved was smart enough to turn their page to private). I read Casey's comments. ALL of them. I read Lee's page. I read half of KC's friends pages. I saw the comments about Caylee's first birthday. The 'congratulations' comments when Casey and Jesse got engaged. The 'hope you're ok' comment when Jesus was killed in a car accident. I saw the same flirting with a soldier in Afghanistan that Rev Grund allegedly noticed (and seriously, how could anyone not - it was so obvious). I read that soldier's whole page too, including Casey's comments while she desparately tried to hang on while he pushed her away. Needless to say, I didn't get much work done on July 17th.

I have always been interested in murder cases; I read a lot of true crime, follow stories in the media, etc. I've always, though, been left wanting more. You may get a few pictures, some interviews, or whatnot, but I'm usually left wondering, what are they really like? Before this person was notorious, who were they? For me, this was the first case where I felt I had a true picture into what the suspect's life was actually like, rather than the image they choose to present once the media, the public, and lawyers are involved.

I too agree that the Grandparents have kept this story in the headlines. I can't remember another case where we have seen such shocking and inappropriate behavior. KC's horrible judgment and behavior is nothing we haven't seen before, but usually the parents of the accused stay somewhat silent waiting on court processes to play out. Usually the parents of the accused are ashamed and want no part of the media. It is sad because Caylee should have been what kept this case going.

the grim reality is this: casey is white and cute. caylee is white and cuter.

that's why.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back