Hurricane Rita thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Military take ready to eat meals. Fema distributes them, but the other agencies distribute haphazard plastic bags of goods. Volunteers pack them. Preboxed items would ship easier and guarantee people were getting what they needed.

that true poco. i remember returning to florida after frances. all the gas stations and rest stops were closed when you got to florida. we had 8 gallons in our truck. no one needed it on the road, but we did when we got back home. tons of cars were stopped at a closed gas station, people actually looking for bathrooms, my husband and i stood with a blanket so the kids could go in privacy. It was all very orderly, as was the drive.

You know, all the red cross or the salvation has to do is request listed items be packed in a certain way and the public would respond. most floridians already have this items assembled for our own emergency kits. we could all just go buy ourselves some more.

a sensible campaign in florida could have to this put together in 48 hours and on the road.

Beyond Belief said:
that true poco. i remember returning to florida after frances. all the gas stations and rest stops were closed when you got to florida. we had 8 gallons in our truck. no one needed it on the road, but we did when we got back home. tons of cars were stopped at a closed gas station, people actually looking for bathrooms, my husband and i stood with a blanket so the kids could go in privacy. It was all very orderly, as was the drive.

Hmm, then maybe it's not a good idea to include water and/or drinks in the kits.

Read above, where I said they already sell these type of supply kits on line - we could buy a bunch and sell them for like $100 - whatdoyathink ??? (just kidding)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/21/rita.nuclear/

2 Texas reactors built to stand up to Category 5 storm

CNN) -- Officials at a Texas nuclear power plant in the path of Hurricane Rita prepared Wednesday to shut down two reactors.
The South Texas Project plant serving 1 million customers is built on elevated ground in Bay City, 12 miles inland from the Texas coast. It is designed to withstand storm surges from Category 5 hurricanes more at the link

This was always my main worry when living in Florida. I lived within the 10 mile radius of FPL's Nuclear plant on Hutchinson Island.

Please make sure you have shoes on, no matter what time of day or night it hits. So many people got injured down here during Andrew because they weren't up and dressed and ended up running outside barefoot. You can see that in Katrina pictures as well.
Be dressed, be prepared, be safe.

If I were in Rita's path one of the things I'd do is write contact information all over my kids with a permanant marker - if I had little ones. There are still something line 2,000 kids from Katrina that haven't been reunited with their parents.

poco said:
What kinda space cadets were driving these trucks?????

The truck drivers were just doing what they were told (and paid) to do. Can you imagine the bill FEMA will get for sending all those trucks to Maine? The cost of fuel alone has to be more than the ice is worth, not to mention what the storage costs must be.

Hubby and his crew are battling Rita this morning. He had to wait hours to get into a port around Fourchoun (sp). It is along the coat of LA between Morgan city and Grand Isle.

This morning he said they woke him up because lines to the 250 ft plus boat were snapping. 2 lines broke and they added 4. They also have gotten their anchor ready to drop to stabilizes them if it looks like the lines won't hold.
Said they have been getting steady 35 to 45 knot winds and the water has risen about 1 1/2 ft. The storm is passing them by and the winds are expected to shift out of the south. That is when he expected the water to come up from the gulf.
Where he is at, he will not really get out of the the reach of Rita's bands until it is inland if it stays on track. They did have 2 guys yesterday quit and run off as soon as they got docked. The company fired them because they did not ask permission. Otherwise I think it would have been ok. I'm sure they were just scared.
Hubby is about 1 1/2 miles inland so they have some protection. It was the best they could get due to stormy seas trying to get back in. He's says everyone is doing fine. All ready for a long day and night. Think the boat will ride it out. Main thing he is worried about is man overboard while adjusting lines or if one of the other many boats nearby come loose and hit them. I guess I am worried about them. He is a good captain and knows his stuff so I am pretty sure they will be fine. Just worry because anything may go wrong.

Buzzm1 said:
Darn TM, you're making me hungry--that sounds really good.

It turned out good Buzz........wound up having chicked fried venison cutlets, rice and gravy and some butter beans. The neighbors stopped by so fed them too....figured we'd better drink all the beer we could to save it from being warm once the power goes.......

So supper tonight is the chicken n dumplings....always better after it sits awhile.....

Today cooking a big turkey from the freezer

In Austin a lot of the schools are housing evacuees in the school gyms.....and the kids are at school (the districts open)!!!!!!!!! Something wrong with that picture! My son's school is going to start letting people in early afternoon...I think I'll go pull him out. That is just crazy for the kids to be there with all those people!

New Orleans has a levee breach that is affecting a 9th ward neighborhood. I think I heard 2 feet of water. Breaking news on CNN.

concernedperson said:
New Orleans has a levee breach that is affecting a 9th ward neighborhood. I think I heard 2 feet of water. Breaking news on CNN.

Dang.....I know it was raining there yesterday...how many inches did they get?

Sassygerl said:
In Austin a lot of the schools are housing evacuees in the school gyms.....and the kids are at school (the districts open)!!!!!!!!! Something wrong with that picture! My son's school is going to start letting people in early afternoon...I think I'll go pull him out. That is just crazy for the kids to be there with all those people!
I would. :confused: Why didn't they just dismiss school today? The state pays per day, however I don't believe they would dock the state support money because I think Texas has already declared an emergency.

TexMex said:
It turned out good Buzz........wound up having chicked fried venison cutlets, rice and gravy and some butter beans. The neighbors stopped by so fed them too....figured we'd better drink all the beer we could to save it from being warm once the power goes.......

So supper tonight is the chicken n dumplings....always better after it sits awhile.....

Today cooking a big turkey from the freezer
Ok Tex! You forgot to give me your address. Here we are..sitting all alone at the farm...waiting for our call with that invite. We were dressed with our napkins tucked under our chins....waiting..waiting...waiting....and never a call came. :snooty:

deandaniellws said:
Ok Tex! You forgot to give me your address. Here we are..sitting all alone at the farm...waiting for our call with that invite. We were dressed with our napkins tucked under our chins....waiting..waiting...waiting....and never a call came. :snooty:

Well it's not too late...come on! The more the merrier.....don't need to bring a thing.....

Where are ya'll? Anywhere near Beaumont/Port Arthur?...

A patched levee in New Orleans has breeched.....water is pouring over the levee aND water levels are rising in NO.....all the water they pumped out is pouring back in.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meds4every1
Back