Don't let your 12-year-old drive the car -- even if she begs

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Slidell woman gave her 12-year-old daughter a crash course in driving, letting the youngster take the family car for a spin that ended when the vehicle slammed into two parked cars, Slidell police said Tuesday.

No one was injured in the crash in the parking lot of the Pinecrest Plaza strip mall on Old Spanish Trail at Slidell Avenue, police said.

The woman and her daughter were leaving the shopping center Monday at 4:30 p.m. when the girl begged her mother to let her drive home, Lt. Rob Callahan said.

The woman agreed to let the girl get behind the wheel of the 1995 Mazda Millenia under the condition that they would not leave the parking lot, Callahan said.

But after backing the car out of the parking space as her mother rode in the front passenger seat, the girl promptly drove onto Slidell Avenue and began turning right at a stop light at Old Spanish Trail, one of the city's busiest streets, he said.

"The mother said she was yelling at the girl, 'No! No! No! I wanted you to stay in the parking lot!' " Callahan said.

The girl apparently panicked and stepped on the gas instead of the brakes while keeping the wheel turned to the right, he said.

The car hopped a curb, zoomed through the parking lot and crashed into a pair of Nissan Maximas parked side by side, Callahan said. The mother and daughter declined medical treatment, he said.

"This wasn't the brightest thing to do, but at least they were wearing their seat belts," he said.

The mother, whose name is being withheld to protect her daughter's identity, was cited for letting her underage daughter drive.

The girl was booked with careless driving and driving without a license.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1090402000124400.xml

My son will be twelve in a couple months and he's quite a bright kid. But I would never hand him the car keys!! You have to be a special kind of stupid to do a thing like that!!

jubie said:
My son will be twelve in a couple months and he's quite a bright kid. But I would never hand him the car keys!! You have to be a special kind of stupid to do a thing like that!!
My daughter is 15 and begs me but does not have a permit. No way will I let her drive! :snooty:

I was 12 1/2 when my mother taught me to drive on some roads in a whse. district about a mile from our house. There wasn't much traffic and I did OK for about 6 lessons, until the day a police car came on the street. I pulled over and stopped, the cop drove on by. End of driving lessons. Mom could get some wacky ideas, and she had a brain tumor at that time. I've never had an at fault accident, last fender bender was 20 years ago. (true story)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back