Database Results: Who are the Perps?

Belinda

Doer of Things
Reaction score
We often comment on how often the boyfriend of the mother seems to be the perpetrator, so I pulled out all significant relationships and have posted them below. I used a total of 326 cases.

89 cases - 27.30% - Mother
69 cases - 21.17% - Father
50 cases - 15.34% - Mother's Boyfriend
21 cases - 06.44% - Daycare/Babsitter
15 cases - 04.60% - Grandparent
13 cases - 03.99% - Educator
11 cases - 03.37% - Stranger
10 cases - 03.07% - Family Friend
09 cases - 02.76% - Foster/Adoptive Mother
07 cases - 02.15% - Stepfather
07 cases - 02.15% - Uncle
06 cases - 01.84% - Stepmother
06 cases - 01.84% - Foster/Adoptive Father
04 cases - 01.23% - Aunt
04 cases - 01.23% - Neighbor
03 cases - 00.92% - Counselor
02 cases - 00.61% - Dad's Girlfriend

As my database grows larger, I will revisit this to see if the percentages change a lot. Just thought this might be of interest.

ETA: Sorry for all the extraneous zeros. It's the only way I could keep the chart in line.

Very interesting. Thank you for that. I'm surprised by the number of mothers. What has happened to people or has this always happened but we hear more of it now?

Belinda! Thank you so much for all the hard work you do for this forum!

Updates and now this, how do you find the time?

You are truly a blessing to Websleuths and I appreciate all you do in the name of justice.

Catherine

Great Job! Thanks so much for this. Will be interesting to see how it changes in the future.

Belinda! Thank you so much for all the hard work you do for this forum!

Updates and now this, how do you find the time?

You are truly a blessing to Websleuths and I appreciate all you do in the name of justice.

Catherine

Honestly? It's pretty much all I do. :dance: I have a lot of health problems and can't do a lot of physical things, so I sit here and work on this everyday. It makes me feel like I am still doing something productive with my life. I've always been very 'cause' oriented and I couldn't think of a better cause than children suffering. I hope the work I do will somehow make a difference. Stepping off the soapbox now. :biggrin:

Belinda--remarkable work....as always. You know, the numbers don't surprise me. I have a hobby of reading old news clippings from the late 1800s-1930s and I think people would be absolutely shocked that not a single thing has changed. "Mother's boyfriend" might change to "hired hand", friend might be "boarder" but the exact same crimes occurred. The sad thing is that they certainly were not given the exposure that these crimes are today. There was such an element of secrecy and the failure to get involved in "family problems".

I read a clipping lately which said:

"Mr. Elmer Johnson was surprised to ride back from town to find his young wife, Alice, waiting for him out by the gate. She informed him that she had just killed the baby. This would be the young son. The Constable was called and Mrs. Johnson was transported to the State Hospital."

This was from a small town in Kentucky in 1921. My guess is that Mrs. Johnson experienced the identical stressors that all young mothers experience and snapped just like a young woman snaps these days. Another sad entry discussed the cause of death for a one year old--rectal bleeding. One wonders if the poor child had a medical problem or was raped. Was it investigated? It would be now.

My personal thought is that, because of the main stream media, news travels far faster. Because of better investigative work, more is learned about crimes. And because of cross-agency reporting, criminals can be tracked a little better (surely, we need to work on that!!).

We are still human beings with human frailties.

I appreciate so much, Belinda, the work you do in organizing all this information into a format that is so readily understandable.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to include a link to the US Child Welfare gateway site. They have up to date studies and statistics on child deaths, child maltreatment, perpetrator profiles, state, national and international data, longitudinal studies on trends in abuse, etc. It is a gold mine of information:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/statistics/can.cfm

I imagine there are quite a few studies with similar information out there. Mine only pertains to cases we do here. I figured that since I had the information available I would go ahead and post it. I am going to redo it somewhere down the line and will be interested to see if there are significant changes to the percentages. Thanks for the great link Missizzy.

:star:Belinda:star:has been working on something truly amazing! I encourage everyone to check this out. Here's a link to the other thread about Belinda's database:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109216"]Here are the Databases and Perp Sheets - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

:star:!!​

Bumping and a big thanks to Belinda for all her hard work.:blowkiss:

Thanks Filly. The database thread has now been moved up to the sticky section so it doesn't have to be bumped anymore. Yay! I have achieved sticky status! I've decided to update the databases every 100 cases and will make a note in the thread so everyone knows it has been updated. I'm up to around 450 finished cases now, so will be updating soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back