Michigan Basketball Recruit Involved In Second Plane Crash

Dark Knight

Reaction score
For more than five hours Saturday, Trent VanHorn tried to keep his mind at rest, knowing what awaited him at the end of his 320-mile drive would be more emotional than anything a high school junior should have to endure.

And he knew his best friend would need him more than ever.

On Friday night, VanHorn's teammate, Austin Hatch, was involved in the second fatal plane accident of his young life. A 1975 Beech A36 fixed-wing, single-engine plane carrying Hatch -- a Michigan basketball recruit -- along with his father and stepmother, crashed in Northern Michigan en route to the family's summer home.

Hatch's father, the pilot, and stepmother were killed. Austin, 16, is now in an induced coma in a Traverse City hospital. He is scheduled to be brought out of the coma Monday.

How could this be happening? VanHorn wondered Saturday.

And how could this be happening again?

In 2003, a plane also piloted by Hatch's father crashed while the family was traveling back to Fort Wayne from its summer home. The crash killed Austin's mother, Julie, and his 11-year-old sister and 5-year-old brother.

Now, eight years later, Austin survived again, but again, he lost members of his family.

Hatch has no living siblings or parents left.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features...ichigan-basketball-recruit-second-plane-crash

This is just unreal and almost surreal. Fervent prayers for Austin and any other surviving family members, and may his entire family's souls rest in peace, in Jesus' Loving Name, amen!

Thanks for posting this, Dark Knight...this has to be one of the saddest stories I've ever read....this poor kid....my heart breaks for him.

I read this last week .
How sad ! Imagine surviving 2 airplance crashes !
I don't like myself for saying this ..but why would his daddy risk his family in an airplane again?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cLeopatra_
Back