Wedding Dresses Trashed Instead of Being Donated

After working in receiving dept of a chain store I can understand this to a point. IF a company is fully compensated for their costs by the manufacturer of the item, they are required to destroy it, company policy on both parts usually. now IF they were not fully compensated I can see no good reason not to donate them, if not locally (they may have partnered with another retailer) then to another state or country. MOO

I can't believe they didn't donate them to charity. I wonder if they then put them into insurance as lost/damaged products?

I won't say what co. I work for but the amount of product that goes in the trash daily would astound most people

for example, if an item has a labelling issue - in the dumpster it goes (although sometimes they will send us the correct label)

if an item's ingredient is misspelled - in the trash it goes

there's a lot of stuff that does not get fixed or marked-down either - just thrown out

candy after the season is over? in the garbage! (even though it's not expired)

one year I got special permission to donate it to a local charity who had requested it but the corporate instructions are always to get rid of it

I won't say what co. I work for but the amount of product that goes in the trash daily would astound most people

for example, if an item has a labelling issue - in the dumpster it goes (although sometimes they will send us the correct label)

if an item's ingredient is misspelled - in the trash it goes

there's a lot of stuff that does not get fixed or marked-down either - just thrown out

candy after the season is over? in the garbage! (even though it's not expired)

one year I got special permission to donate it to a local charity who had requested it but the corporate instructions are always to get rid of it

:sigh:

This is merely a symptom of our litigious and dishonest society.

If these dresses (or other items) were donated instead of being destroyed, you KNOW there is some dirtbag who would try to return the dress to another store or who would buy the food with the misspelled ingredient and sue because they are allergic to that ingredient and didn't know, etc.

It's sad, but that's reality in this world where anyone can sue anyone for even the stupidest reason. They may not win, but the lawyers' fees alone could break many businesses. Until we have a "loser pays" policy in place, frivolous lawsuits are going to continue to drag our country down.

While working in the stock room for a well-known chain store, I found out that merchandise destruction of unsold stuff was a common everyday thing. I was shocked at what went into the industrial compactor...

Back in the mid 80's I had a friend from my old neighborhood (I had gotten out she remained and remains to this day but we are still in touch) and she would go dumpster diving at one of the local malls. Why? To look for shoes, baby clothes (for her daughter) or anything else that could be of use to her. Why? Because as I've shared on other threads we were poor. The kind of poor where you have to choose---does my kid eat or do I pay rent? Do I buy my kid shoes or do I not buy groceries this week poor..

Anway, we still have people that live that way and yes they want to wear something pretty the day they get married too if they can. I'm glad they donated the rest but this has become a very litigating society I agree! Also, it's not beyond speculation to say that someone would get them and hoard them and sell them to put money in their own pockets---craigslist or ebay.

I'm with Steely and I'm :sigh:

ETA and OT: I'm not above saying that I, too, am a former dumpster diver. I still feel the pull to search sometimes haha. Back when we married I'd pull perfectly good stuff off the curb (headboards to beds, chest of drawers...etc.) I'd fumigate them if needed for pests, and I'd refinish those suckers and that's how I furnished our first years homes. No shame in that. :)

Kat that has become popular in some circles. Repurposing, reusing is the green thing to do. And can be a really fun hobby if you use imagination to fix things up. You ought to see what I did with a bowling ball..... I made a garden reflector ball that turned out pretty cool.

What a cool idea MV!

It became my hobby for a while when we lived in Texas but not here. Don't have enough room and such to fool with it. (People would make fun of me and roll their eyes at me, that's okay people have done that to me all my life---no sweat off my nose).

I had a man offer me money for my daughters bedroom suite that I scanvanged, repaired and refinished and free hand painted with colors and flowers and such.

It was just good old solid furniture that other's had thrown to the curb that I collected and fixed for her.

He wanted it for his granddaughter (we were sitting it out because she wanted a "new bedroom suite" lol. And we could afford to get her one by the time she was a teen.)

I gave it to him. No money exchanged. I hope there was some little girl who thought she was a princess with painted furniture.

I have a painting by an artist in GA, she painted on found objects. She was self trained and it's a quirky outsider painting of a dancing girl. My Father adores that painting.

That's really appalling. They could just recycle the wedding dress into something else if they don't get donated like made into draperies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back