Miss Ohio: Prostitute in ‘Pretty Woman’ is Positive Portrayal of Women in Film

What is the best movie to portray women, in your opinion?

• Total voters

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://fox4kc.com/2012/06/04/miss-o...woman-is-positive-portrayal-of-women-in-film/

Miss Ohio: Prostitute in ‘Pretty Woman’ is Positive Portrayal of Women in Film
Posted on: 7:46 am, June 4, 2012, by Sarah Clark, updated on: 07:53am, June 4, 2012

...Bolte responded:
I think it depends on the movie. I think there are some movies that depict women in a very positive role, and then some movies that put them in a little bit more of negative role. But by the end of the movie, they show that woman power that I know we all have. Such as movie Pretty Woman. We had a wonderful, beautiful woman, Julia Roberts, and she was having a rough time, but, you know what, she came out on top and she didn’t let anybody stand in her path....

Ok, I know I like to stir the pot of the battle of the sexes here now and again, but this is just idiotic, IMO. I have to admit I've never seen the movie "Pretty Woman", but I know the general storyline. Here are some movies that I would have chosen as showing women in a strong way; Norma Rae, Silkwood and Erin Brockovich.

What others can you think of?

Here's the question she was asked:

“Do you think women are depicted in movies and on television in an accurate and positive way? And please give us an example.”

Frida-A biography of artist Frida Kahlo.
MV5BMTMyODUyMDY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDA2OTU3._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg

Ok, for once, I am embarrassed for Ohio. :blushing:

Please don't think that all Ohio women are this dense.

JMO

(BTW - my HERO is Kate Hepburn in 'The Desk Set'! She was a librarian who could find information faster than the computer.)

What the hayle? She didn't even answer the question? :floorlaugh: Poor Ohio! All I can say is, I'm glad it wasn't Miss Florida. We're dealing with enough right now.

since you did say "women" plural, first movie that came to mind was Steel Magnolias. i havent seen it in years but it stuck with me. Norma Rae was strong too.

imo prostitutes are usually forced by circumstance to be what they are. i dont think many of them "decide" to take up " the life". never actually thought of it as being a 'strong' choice.

I suppose she meant that the prostitution part was the rough time and the way the character improved her life by hooking up with Richard Gere was where she showed her strength and didn't let anybody stand in her way.

I think you guys are being a little hard on her. Julia Roberts' character is strong. She ends up as a prostitute when she left home to get away from an abusive step-father.

She has lines she won't cross for anyone and worries about her friends.

Even though she is an uneducated hooker, she is not intimidated by Richard Gere or afraid to speak her mind, even though everyone around him spends the whole movie kissing his :butthead:

When he makes her feel cheap, she is ready to leave it all behind and go back to her crappy apartment and hooking rather than take that from him. Some women (some supposedly educated and classy women) put up with a lot worse to stay with a wealthy man. Some put up with it to stay with any man, even if he's a total loser.

She's not the worst portrayal of a woman I've seen. There are some real winners out there right now.

Most of the women in "The Help" and "The Color Purple"

Yes! That was a great movie, but the book was even better. I blew off alot of things I should have been doing to finish it. It is a must read!!

Oh, that poor girl. She has to be beyond embarrassed, or maybe she isn't? Anyway, I'm sure she meant well, but that was a bad choice!

Steely, I'm disappointed you didn't include Mary Poppins as an option. If more women had her charm, character and mystical powers, the world would be a better place. I'm working on building those qualities myself....especially the mystical powers.

Seriously, I haven't watched many movies but one I did see and particularly liked was Places In the Heart. The role Sally Field played, I thought, was inspirational. She began a broken woman who recently lost her husband, but had the difficult task of providing for her family. She did so with hard work, determination and by reaching out to others -- which was difficult for her at first, but she learned to have compassion toward others who were equally struggling to survive.

is definitely cool in that. I have always liked her, even more so after I waited in a bathroom line with her quite a few years ago. You learn a lot about people chatting in a bathroom line in a local bar. My 14 yr old boys and I love the Aliens series.

I about keeled over when I happened to hear that Pretty Woman answer. I never could even watch that movie so I dont' knwo whether it could be in some way construed as "positive" but the idea of it made me seethe.

Here's a list I found of strong women in film. Here are some that I've seen; http://worldsbestfilms.blogspot.com/2010/07/strong-women-in-film.html

Aliens
A room with a view
As good as it gets

I would add Zelig to the list too, even though it's a comedy.

Steely, I'm disappointed you didn't include Mary Poppins as an option. If more women had her charm, character and mystical powers, the world would be a better place. I'm working on building those qualities myself....especially the mystical powers.

Seriously, I haven't watched many movies but one I did see and particularly liked was Places In the Heart. The role Sally Field played, I thought, was inspirational. She began a broken woman who recently lost her husband, but had the difficult task of providing for her family. She did so with hard work, determination and by reaching out to others -- which was difficult for her at first, but she learned to have compassion toward others who were equally struggling to survive.

You can add choices to the list.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan