1226 users online (233 members and 993 guests)  

Websleuths News

Stripper Wins Damages After Tiger Attack

A stripper mauled by a tiger in an Ontario safari park has won $650,000 in damages because her scars meant she could no longer work, Canadian media said on Friday.

Jennifer-Anne Cowles was driving through the park nearly nine years ago with her then boyfriend when a tiger jumped into their car and tried to drag them away. The two insisted their windows had been shut when the tiger charged, although the park had challenged that.

The judge accepted the couple's testimony that the power windows had been inadvertently lowered when one of the big cats bumped against the car, frightening them.

In a ruling delivered on Thursday and reported in a number of Canadian newspapers, Justice Jean MacFarland said she could only imagine the "stark terror experienced by these young people during this horrendous event."

She awarded Cowles some $650,000 in damages, almost half of it to compensate for income she would have made as a stripper.

Her musician boyfriend, David Balac, won C$1.7 million, because his injuries left him unable to work as an accordion player.

African Lion Safari, near Hamilton, Ontario, west of Toronto, said it is reviewing the ruling, but it insisted the park was safe.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c

This only goes to show that lawsuit frenzy in Canada must be similar to here in the US.
    This is my opinion, and change is good.

Quote Originally Posted by vicktor
    This only goes to show that lawsuit frenzy in Canada must be similar to here in the US.
    I haven't sued anyone..... recently

For some reason, I'm having trouble picturing a stripper dating and accordian player.
    Amy

There is a conept called contributory negligence.

That means if you contribute to your own negligence, your award is reduced.

I put money there will be an appeal in this case.

Also an assumption of risk too, if you go into a lion safari, well guess what you just may become injured. Same with horseback riding also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    For some reason, I'm having trouble picturing a stripper dating and accordian player.

LOl...it does seem an unlikely match. Maybe she stripped to polka music.

The beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike

As large as a tiger is, I can't imagine it jumping into a car thru the window.

Wonder if the judge made the stripper "show him her scars" to make sure she couldn't strip anymore?

The beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    LOl...it does seem an unlikely match. Maybe she stripped to polka music.

Mabel, where in the world did you find that pic? It is hilarious!! Although my 20 year old daughter thought it was gross!