Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AL - Pastor ARRESTED for Brutal slaying of wife Karen Shahan

Quote Originally Posted by kahne9 View Post
    I know that the detectives always have to question the spouse/family first...but I just wanted to say that I've gone to First Baptist of Birmingham church since it opened in the 1980's. Richard and Karen haven't been there that long but they've been here for years. I've known both of them very well. Richard is a wonderful man who loves God more than any I know. Karen also loved the Lord as much as her husband does. Richard led my son to the Lord when he was 9 years old, he also baptised my son. Our church is hurting so much. So if it's possible...please, please, please keep in mind that there are people who love websleuths and but we also love Richard and Karen. Thank you
    My mother knows the pastor through mutual friends. Our prayers are with you all. God bless you.
    UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:

Brutal Slaying

The "brutal" nature of this murder is all that is being disseminated. It began with a reference by Homewood's Mayor, Scott McBrayer, and was reiterated by FBC interim pastor, Charles Carter, in a sermon this past Sunday where he said he was quoting a Homewood Police Officer. Why inform the public on the "brutal" nature of the murder and nothing else? The "brutality" description is starting to feel more like a "red herring" than a fact.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

Hello and welcome to WS, BrianInBirmingham.
    We are, I know not how, double in ourselves, so that what we believe we disbelieve, and cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn. (Michel de Montaigne)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Glad to be here.

Thank you, wfgodot (Waiting For Godot?). There seems to be one thing that Homewood Police want everyone to know; that it was "brutal" and that the assailant entered the home and left it in disarray. Brutality implies a close, emotionally-driven murder. ...and if you read the Mayor's statement, one is left with the nothing more than a conflicting paradox that it was "brutal" and that "This doesn't happen in Homewood."

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianInBirmingham View Post
    Thank you, wfgodot (Waiting For Godot?). There seems to be one thing that Homewood Police want everyone to know; that it was "brutal" and that the assailant entered the home and left it in disarray. Brutality implies a close, emotionally-driven murder. ...and if you read the Mayor's statement, one is left with the nothing more than a conflicting paradox that it was "brutal" and that "This doesn't happen in Homewood."
    Hi Brian and welcome and thank you. Do you have any idea why the "brutality" is being stressed so? Are you saying that might not be the case? I am just trying to understand why. I agree that it seems over the top to keep reiterating that. Think there is a reason for that? Are they trying to provoke someone to defy that?
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AzPistonsGirl For This Useful Post:

The "brutal" nature of this murder is all that is being disseminated. It began with a reference by Homewood's Mayor, Scott McBrayer, and was reiterated by FBC interim pastor, Charles Carter, in a sermon this past Sunday where he said he was quoting a Homewood Police Officer. Why inform the public on the "brutal" nature of the murder and nothing else? The "brutality" description is starting to feel more like a "red herring" than a fact.
    Welcome BrianInBirmingham.
    A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kahne9 View Post
    I know that the detectives always have to question the spouse/family first...but I just wanted to say that I've gone to First Baptist of Birmingham church since it opened in the 1980's. Richard and Karen haven't been there that long but they've been here for years. I've known both of them very well. Richard is a wonderful man who loves God more than any I know. Karen also loved the Lord as much as her husband does. Richard led my son to the Lord when he was 9 years old, he also baptised my son. Our church is hurting so much. So if it's possible...please, please, please keep in mind that there are people who love websleuths and but we also love Richard and Karen. Thank you
    I am sorry for the loss to you and your community...

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClemiFern View Post
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/07/...slain_wif.html

Quoting the above article below:

The above article does not say that the entire neighborhood is renters, just that particular street. On the contrary, I would say the majority of the neighborhood is homeowners in that part of town. Many of the homes in that area rent out basement or garage apartments because I've known several people who rented those (in my younger days).

Samford University (a private college) is right up the street from the church as is the large offices of Southern Progress, the company known as Southern Living, Cooking Light, Progressive Farmer as well as others. All these are within under a quarter of a mile from the church.

Mrs. Shahan worked at Hobby Lobby (a very large arts and crafts store...I think might be a national chain) at the location which would have been maybe a mile or two, at most, from her home. Lakeshore Rehab, a large and nationally acclaimed Rehab center, sits across the street from the church and very nearby Brookwood Medical Center, a major hospital is also located, again less than a mile away.

This is not a transient area. I assumed the church owned all the homes on that street so that church staff could rent and live near the church. The street is directly behind the church and the church sits on Lakeshore drive as does all of the businesses I mentioned other than the hospital.
    thank you for your local perspective...

It gives me a better idea of your community...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

I thought the same thing when I read all the articles. Her body was found at 11:15 am which is quite early. I don't know what time she was scheduled to be at work but I think Hobby Lobby opens at 10:00 am so I wouldn't think she was scheduled before 9 am. I just don't think I'd be that quick to sound an alarm if a co-worker couldn't be reached within a couple of hours or so. They could have had an emergency and been unable to call into work because of that.

To call the police and ask for a welfare check just seems odd when she had only been late showing up that same day. Usually people only ask for welfare checks on persons who they have been unable to reach for several days for over a week.
    Good points...

and since it sounds like the store is so close to her house...

it seems someone would physically go check on her before calling 9-1-1 and requesting LE to make a welfare check...

JMO
    Last edited by IHAVENOCLUE; 07-30-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Clarify...

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

You're welcome. Birmingham consists of many suburbs and Homewood is one of them.

The First Baptist Church location on Lakeshore Drive was built in 1986, according to the church website. I believe it was formed much earlier in the actual city of B'ham. It is a very large church but definitely not the largest church in the area. Birmingham and suburbs is home to many very large churches, hence this area being known as " the Bible Belt."

Valleydale Road, which is also located in Homewood, is home to a completely different type of residents. It is mostly apartments and condominiums and is located nearer to a less desirable part of the area. Birmingham is very diverse and this particular location (Lakeshore Drive) is only about a mile from very elaborate homes (some mansions) and it is also only a couple miles away from crime ridden areas. The area itself is simply upper middle class, not wealthy, not poor, an older and more established area.

I don't usually get interested in these stories but this one just made my radar go off. Hoping I'm wrong about my feelings. I probably watch too much true crime on tv...lol.
    Clemifern!

Thank you for joining us at WS!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    Clemifern!

Thank you for joining us at WS!

Let me second that.
    A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BhamAdGal View Post
    Not to nit-pick bevause it's not really relvevant to this sad and mysterious story, but Valleydale Road is NOT in Homewood- its much farther South and mostly in Shelby Co. You are referring to Valley Avenue where once somehwat upscale apartments (and lots of students) have given way to a different demographic mix and there is a good bit of crime over there about 2-3 miles away.
    The victim's home is one of about 6 on a quiet cul-de-sac, but it backs up to the 1st Bapt. church parking lot. An intruder could have easily come onto the property from the parking lot and not be seen by neighbors. The church is on a busy street- 4 lanes. Lakeshore Dr. as already mentioned. I work practically next door to there.
    I am very curious as to time of death- that would explain a lot I think. No indication of cause- which is strange. But, police have not warned residents and nearby students of a killer on the loose so they must think they know who did this and that it is not a random event.
    BhamAdGal!

Glad to see so many locals on this case!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AzPistonsGirl View Post
    Hi Brian and welcome and thank you. Do you have any idea why the "brutality" is being stressed so? Are you saying that might not be the case? I am just trying to understand why. I agree that it seems over the top to keep reiterating that. Think there is a reason for that? Are they trying to provoke someone to defy that?
    I think It's VERY evident that they want anyone involved to believe it was Brutal. Whether it was or wasn't, I obviously have no idea. Purely as conjecture: If it was a "hit", they certainly want all involved in the agreement to be at odds about the nature of the murder.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

I think It's VERY evident that they want anyone involved to believe it was Brutal. Whether it was or wasn't, I obviously have no idea. Purely as conjecture: If it was a "hit", they certainly want all involved in the agreement to be at odds about the nature of the murder.
    yes, thank you. I did not mean to infer that you had any inside knowledge, just fleshing out ideas, trying to figure out what they are not saying maybe. Thanks again for your reply. This is such a sad story for her community - both her faith community and her neighborhood.
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AzPistonsGirl For This Useful Post:

Who found her?

This article says that church staff found Mrs. Shahan as she missed an appt. What kind of appt. at the church? Counseling? Her husband's out of town and he's on the church staff. Curious.
    The News reported that her Hobby Lobby co-workers called the police for a welfare check. An interesting initial reaction initself. Which is it?

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BhamAdGal For This Useful Post:

This article says that church staff found Mrs. Shahan as she missed an appt. What kind of appt. at the church? Counseling? Her husband's out of town and he's on the church staff. Curious.
    The News reported that her Hobby Lobby co-workers called the police for a welfare check. An interesting initial reaction initself. Which is it?
    The additional appointment is a new, added detail that I have read no where else. Based on a personal conversation and a possible "slip" by a source in-the-know, I have an anecdotal suspicion that a co-worker from Hobby Lobby may have gone to the Shahan home prior to asking for a welfare check and may indeed have seen something.
    Last edited by BrianInBirmingham; 07-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.

I'm not sure this can be considered MSM/ reliable info. It appears to be a church newletter type outlet.

So, let's take this info with a grain of salt, shall we???

Is there nothing new in the local media?
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meanmaryjean For This Useful Post:

I missed that article. Thank you for finding it. I guess we'll eventually find out whether someone went there initially and then called for a welfare check but what could be taking so long??? If this was a random act of violence, I'd be afraid to stay at my home if I lived in that neighborhood.

I still can't find the article that quoted the neighbor across the street who said he heard a loud noise from the Shahan home on Monday night. I have searched and searched. I swear I didn't dream it...lol...or did I...lol.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClemiFern For This Useful Post:

This article reports that Karen was found by church officials...

But earlier reports stated Karen's co-workers called 9-1-1 when she did not arrive to work at Hobby Lobby...

does anyone know the chain of events on that day?

TIA...

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

The additional appointment is a new, added detail that I have read no where else. Based on a personal conversation and a possible "slip" by a source in-the-know, I have an anecdotal suspicion that a co-worker from Hobby Lobby may have gone to the Shahan home prior to asking for a welfare check and may indeed have seen something.
    If somebody did see something prior to calling for the welfare check, that would make more sense to me, because otherwise the call to the police seems as if it was made a little more quickly than one would expect, as others have mentioned here.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waitin'4thewrld2chg For This Useful Post:

I don't see anywhere in the article that states Shahan was found by "Church Officials". I am attempting to post a video link that is the best news reporting I have found. Please note that the neighbor states, "They [The Police] did lead me to believe I wasn't in any immediate danger."

http://www.abc3340.com/story/2292007...ating-homicide

41. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    This article reports that Karen was found by church officials...

But earlier reports stated Karen's co-workers called 9-1-1 when she did not arrive to work at Hobby Lobby...

does anyone know the chain of events on that day?

TIA...
    Quoting myself...

I see that these questions had been asked before I read the whole thread...

43. The Following User Says Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    I'm not sure this can be considered MSM/ reliable info. It appears to be a church newletter type outlet.

So, let's take this info with a grain of salt, shall we???

Is there nothing new in the local media?
    Per Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alabama_Baptist

The Alabama Baptist was founded in 1843 in Marion, Alabama by Baptist leaders to publicize the church's work domestically and abroad.[1] One of the co-founders was Julia Tarrant Barron, who also founded Judson College and Howard College, now Samford University.[2] After the American Civil War, J.J.D. Renfroe, a prominent Southern Baptist minister was associate editor and then editor of the newspaper (1873–76 and 1886–87), which he used as a platform to defend southern views, encourage national reconciliation, and promote his idealized view of Old South values.[3] Renfroe was assisted by D. W. Gwin, E. B. Teague, and Edwin T. Winkler during this time.[4] The paper was purchased by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1919.[5] In July 2005 the al.com news website announced that it was adding content from The Alabama Baptist.[6]
    Today[edit]

As of 2010 the weekly paper was being mailed to more than 100,000 homes.[5] The newspaper attempts to provide concise and balanced reporting of events related to religion, and gives editorial advice on moral and ethical issues from a biblical standpoint.[7]

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

<modsnip> The credibility of "The Alabama Baptist" or "Wikipedia" for that matter is not at question here. <modsnip> The only "fact" in the article under scrutiny is what appears to be a possible additional meeting Shahan missed - so noted.
    Last edited by beach; 07-30-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Please don't personalize posts.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

I am not questioning the intentions of the Alabama Baptist paper: I'm just saying that it is NOT what WS would consider mainstream media - the ONLY source we are allowed to link to here.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meanmaryjean For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast