1096 users online (192 members and 904 guests)  

Websleuths News

NH - Vance & Eve Dingman, both 40, slain, teen sons charged, Rochester, 6 Feb 1996

Rochester man who killed parents eligible for parole

Jeffrey Dingman was barely 14 when he and his older brother, Robert, killed their parents in Rochester in 1996. Now 31, he is eligible for parole after spending more than half his life behind bars.

The brothers fatally shot their parents, Eve and Vance, as they arrived home from work on a Friday afternoon in February, wrapped the bodies in garbage bags and hid them in the attic and basement. The teens played and partied over the weekend, returned to school Monday and were arrested after their parents’ worried co-workers called the police.

I wouldn't want him living near me. He had no remorse for what he did. Can't see him as rehab'd. JMO

A man who has spent more than half his life in prison for killing his parents when he was 14 will be freed if he completes counseling and learns the skills he'll need to return to society, a state parole board ruled Thursday......

On Thursday, the parole board members said they were pleased that Jeffrey, now 31, had done well in prison but worried that he lacks the life skills to succeed in society because he went to jail so young. Had the board granted him immediate parole, he would have been released on Feb. 7. When he completes the counseling and meets the other terms of the conditional parole, he'll be released......

Robert Dingman, 17 at the time, is serving a life sentence after being convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy charges. Jeffrey, who had turned 14 just two weeks before the killings, got 30 years to life in a plea deal that made him eligible for parole now. The state parole board was considering his case for the first time Thursday.......more......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

So 17 years for killing 2 people is all he gets? What about the people he killed? Where are their rights?

Trial of Youth Held in Death Of His Parents Goes to Jury

May 23, 1997
    A jury began deliberations today in the trial of an 18-year-old man on charges of murdering his parents, with his younger brother as the main witness against him.

The bodies of Vance and Eve Dingman, both 40, were found on Feb. 12, 1996, in the attic and the basement of their home in nearby Rochester. Three days earlier, each had been shot several times and wrapped in plastic garbage bags.

New York State
    While in general I favor pretty harsh sentences for murderers, in this case the kid was awfully young and under the influence of his older brother. I certainly wasn't the same person at 14 as I was just a few years later; that's the time of a lot of change. If the parole board has evidence that he's a more responsible, decent and thoughtful person... it's possible he does deserve another chance at a normal life.

San Diego
    Man who has spent more than half his life in prison for shooting dead his parents when he was 14 is granted parole

Prosecutors said Robert chafed under his parents' rules and curfews, and Jeffrey described being yelled at repeatedly by his mother and hit by his father over bad grades. But family members denied the boys were abused and described the parents, both 40, as devoted to their sons.

Vance Dingman's sister, Darlyn, told The Associated Press last week that she opposed Jeffrey's release.

‘Personally, we wish he had fried, but that didn't happen,’ she said. ‘He should not be let out. He's as guilty as his brother.’

At the brief parole hearing, Sytek noted the brutality of the crimes and asked Dingman to describe how he has evolved since then.

Speaking in a gravely but nearly monotone voice, Dingman described himself as a better decision-maker.

‘I guess I grew up,’ he said. ‘I don't just act. I try to be a better person.’

Jose Delgado, who was waiting for his own parole hearing on Thursday, lives at the same halfway house as Dingman and has known him for about a year. He said Dingman stands out as a hard worker who has learned his lesson.

‘He's very smart, very humble, very polite,’ he said. ‘He's one of the sweetest people out there.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2moRNMU3F

Man who helped brother kill their parents when he was 14 is released after spending more than half his life in prison

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2zsv4YNHc