Identified! FL - Ft Lauderdale, female body in blanket, May'05 - Dian Simmons

Why do people think you can just throw someone away? I am just fascinated at that kind of mindset (not in a good way, mind you). I hope they can identify her soon.

mrs4point0 said:
Why do people think you can just throw someone away? I am just fascinated at that kind of mindset (not in a good way, mind you). I hope they can identify her soon.

Hopefully some family will now know what happened to thier loved one. I was so astounded when I started looking online at all kinds of different states local newspapers, there was skeletal remains being found all over the place! All those missing people are out there just waiting to be found! Makes you wonder just how many cant be identified. So sad!

lostfaith said:
Hopefully some family will now know what happened to thier loved one. I was so astounded when I started looking online at all kinds of different states local newspapers, there was skeletal remains being found all over the place! All those missing people are out there just waiting to be found! Makes you wonder just how many cant be identified. So sad!

Yeah, can you imagine being the investigators having to go through the missing persons reports?

mrs4point0 said:
Yeah, can you imagine being the investigators having to go through the missing persons reports?

Cant even imagine, sound like a job for us! lol. I often think that every child at birth have a DNA sample taken and put on file in a central computer bank or something. Everyone for that matter should have a sample on file. I know some people will say that is intrusive, and it is, but when a body is found it could be identified, or when a crime is commited a suspect could be identified. If you dont do anything illigal, then no worries.

lostfaith said:
Cant even imagine, sound like a job for us! lol. I often think that every child at birth have a DNA sample taken and put on file in a central computer bank or something. Everyone for that matter should have a sample on file. I know some people will say that is intrusive, and it is, but when a body is found it could be identified, or when a crime is commited a suspect could be identified. If you dont do anything illigal, then no worries.
I agree, DNA and a SS #, must haves. It would solve alot of crimes and help identify.

lostfaith said:

In my Forensic Anthropology classes, there were suggestions of teeth being engraved. From what I understand, many medical devices now have serial numbers to help with IDs... like breast implants...

The whole DNA thing has a lot of people against it- There may be discrimination against genetic traits or code. The whole topic goes round and round...

lostfaith said:

I have often said this too !! But, there are too many people out there that would argue thsi is infringing on our rights....
Like you said, if you don't do anything illegal, you should have no worries !!

If this had been implimented long ago, just think about how many murders, missing person and John and Jane Doe cases would be solved !!

audrey77 said:
In my Forensic Anthropology classes, there were suggestions of teeth being engraved. From what I understand, many medical devices now have serial numbers to help with IDs... like breast implants...

Implanted medical devices have serial numbers on them in case of a recall of the device. The pt also received a wallet card to keep so in case there is any question of what type is implanted, the medical staff can have the information.

I don't think we will ever see the day where a DNA sample will be taken at birth and stored in a central location. First of all, the cost alone would make some people be against it. Second, invasion of privacy.

Right now there is no law that if LE finds remains, that they have to have DNA testing completed on it. (That costs quite a bit of money) Usually once remains are found, area LE will be notified and they will search their missing persons reports. If no potential match is found the remains will usually be held at the coroner's office for a time, then eventually may be buried or cremated. The info on the remains is kept on file, in case someone comes looking for info later. Some depts are doing the testing, and some depts do not.
The FBI has a database set up, where families of missing people can request that the DNA of their missing person be filed, in case remains are found somewhere and can be processed against this for a possible match.
If a dept processes the DNA on some remains, they will usually enter the DNA report in this looking for a potential match. However there is no law that says that missing persons DNA must be entered here, nor any law that requires any dept to get the DNA on any remains that are found.
A woman in Ohio was working on a law to require that all remains be tested. I don't know if she was working on this at a state or federal level. And I don't know how far she got, I haven't heard anything for a few months. If anyone is interested in helping with this I will see if I can get more info.

mysteriew said:
Right now there is no law that if LE finds remains, that they have to have DNA testing completed on it. (That costs quite a bit of money) Usually once remains are found, area LE will be notified and they will search their missing persons reports. If no potential match is found the remains will usually be held at the coroner's office for a time, then eventually may be buried or cremated. The info on the remains is kept on file, in case someone comes looking for info later. Some depts are doing the testing, and some depts do not.
The FBI has a database set up, where families of missing people can request that the DNA of their missing person be filed, in case remains are found somewhere and can be processed against this for a possible match.
If a dept processes the DNA on some remains, they will usually enter the DNA report in this looking for a potential match. However there is no law that says that missing persons DNA must be entered here, nor any law that requires any dept to get the DNA on any remains that are found.
A woman in Ohio was working on a law to require that all remains be tested. I don't know if she was working on this at a state or federal level. And I don't know how far she got, I haven't heard anything for a few months. If anyone is interested in helping with this I will see if I can get more info.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a database similar to LE's AFIS and DNA databank? I'm sure the difficulty lies in funding for such resources.

mrs4point0 said:
Wouldn't it be great if there was a database similar to LE's AFIS and DNA databank? I'm sure the difficulty lies in funding for such resources.

The DNA databank is what I was referring to in my post (a part of it has to do with missing people and unidentified remains). However, LE is not required to participate with it. And yes from what I have read, funding is a big part of the problem.

lostfaith said:

I agree completely. Or even dental records!! I read in a story that someone just threw out the old dental records from her fathers practice!! You would think that they should go to a medical storage facility or something!!

mrs4point0 said:

The FBI has a databank. It is CODIS. However due to the cost of DNA testing, not all remains have DNA collected and entered into it. There is no law that requires LE to obtain the DNA, or to enter it into CODIS.

mysteriew said:
The FBI has a databank. It is CODIS. However due to the cost of DNA testing, not all remains have DNA collected and entered into it. There is no law that requires LE to obtain the DNA, or to enter it into CODIS.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know just how much it costs to just collect the DNA and store it? You hear of LE having to exhume bodies, you would think it would be cheaper to just collect and store.

This is an article on Brooke Wilberger, and not the unidentified woman that was found. But I am posting it here because of the discussion of the use of DNA in identifying missing persons, the extent of the problem, what is available, and possible ways of solving the problem.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Technology/story?id=727402

Identified, it looks like. The old links have said bye bye but I found this:

May 10, 2005|Staff Reports
Woman's body found under blanket in field

A body was found early Monday morning in a vacant lot in the northwest section of Fort Lauderdale.

Police think the black female, about 5-feet, 4-inches tall and 200 pounds, was killed late Sunday night and her body was dumped in the grassy lot on Monday.

The body was found after a neighbor wandered into the field in the 800 block of Northwest 19th Terrace and saw a blanket and partially clothed body under it, police said.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...miami-dade-county-jail-miami-dade-police-body

Forensics Prove Crucial In Solving Murder Case
By Andrew Ryan Staff Writer, May 17, 2005
A forensic murder mystery that began on Mother's Day in Miramar ended in a public park in Puerto Rico on Friday when police say they found the killer dead, hanging from a tree by his own belt. Police say Roberto Zayas, 48, stabbed his neighbor up to 15 times in the neck in his home before wrapping her head in a garbage bag while she was still struggling to breathe. Zayas then mopped the blood out of his apartment on Southwest 36th Court in Miramar, stuffed the woman in his car and dumped her body in a vacant lot near Northwest 19th Terrace in Fort Lauderdale.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/keyword/forensics

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13