IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

katydid23

Reaction score
MANHUNT UNDERWAY IN FOX LAKE
http://abc7chicago.com/news/manhunt-underway-in-fox-lake/965033/

FOX LAKE, Ill. (WLS) -- A manhunt is underway in far north suburban Fox Lake. Police said they are looking for two men who should be considered armed and dangerous.

A law enforcement source said a Fox Lake police officer has been shot and killed.

Initially, police said someone was shot near an old cement plant in the 100-block of Honing Road. Officers were seen searching a wooded area near the scene for several hours Tuesday morning. Canine units were brought in from various jurisdictions, including McHenry County.

Rollins Road is closed from Route 59 to Grand Avenue. Investigators also blocked off part of the frontage road leading to U.S. 12.

Metra officials said the tracks near the Ingleside station are closed to southbound traffic. The next inbound Milwaukee District North train is not scheduled to pass through the area until 10:45 a.m.

Grant Community High School is on hard lockdown. Superintendent Christy Sefcik said the school went on lockdown around 8:30 a.m. She said all students and staff are being kept away from exterior glass and out of view.

at 7:52 this morning officer indicated he was out with 3 suspicious males, two white one black involved in foot pursuit

communication was lost

backup arrived located officer w gunshot wounds and unresponsive

3 suspects still at large

three pronged investigation

multiple resources at play

canines helicopters large number officers on foot conducting searches of area

major crime task force called in to investigate shooting.

possibly another presser later to update status of search etc

ask all area resides to stay inside and report any suspicious people or activity by dialing 911

[paraphrased account of presser]

Thank you for starting this thread Katydid23

from http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-fox-lake-school-lockdown-20150901-story.html

"He then radioed that he was in a "foot pursuit" but communication was lost after that, Covelli said. Other units responded and found him shot at Route 12 and Sayton Road, he said.

The officer was found in a marshy area, stripped of his gun and other gear, Lake County Undersheriff Raymond Rose. He died at the scene, the undersheriff said.

Police have established a perimeter and are seeking one black male and two white males, Rose said."

Please God, make it stop!!!

I wish he hadn't followed 3 men in a foot chase. Way too dangerous these days. A brave and noble action but very treacherous. RIP Officer. :rose: :star: :rose:

Such terrible news. I wonder what was suspicious about their behavior that caused this brave officer to pursue them? Tragically, it seems he was alone at the time, so we may not find out. Unless there was more he communicated when he radioed in??

Reporters on CNN said this is an area that has some vacant weekend homes and there are a lot of boats with tarps on them.

So that makes this search a combo of the NY prison escapees search and the Boston Marathon bombing search. Lovely.

I have no more words..................................

CNN reporting Illinois State Police have one suspect in custody.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-school-lockdown-20150901-story.html

"The Fox Lake police officer shot and killed while chasing three suspects Tuesday morning was a 32-year veteran of the force who went by the nickname "G.I. Joe" and was married with four children, according to a police source and family.

"He's got four sons who are going to have to go on alone," said Terry Resetar, the mother-in-law of the slain officer, Charles Joseph Gliniewicz."

There's supposed to be another press conference in approximately 30-45 minutes. I'm sorry I don't have a link for it.

CNN just now reported that "third suspect is now in custody." (Jake Tapper)

I've checked every other site and they're still reporting one suspect in custody. I'm certain Jake Tapper said "three" because CC also confirmed that. Perhaps he meant to say "one" and not "three"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa