IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had 12 hours of daylight to find them........they didn't. Send everybody home.

One of their relatives will call it in when they show up for money or a car.

Typical.

Labor Day coming up and the area will be packed with weekenders at the Chain 0'lakes. The three could be anywhere or maybe even hopped a Metra train and are in the city.

I can't decide if they're keeping it close to the vest or they really don't know who they're looking for. All police are asking the public is to report anything unusual.

If the suspects aren't caught it's possible the weekenders might make alternate plans. I know I would.

On another note, it was a hot one today. Very humid and almost 90. They couldn't have gone this long without anything to drink. There hasn't been any local reporting on whether the search dogs found a scent and if anything was found via the infrared air search.

Something I have seen too often, and saw again today as a resident of the community was describing it during an interview on CNN: "Oh, this is a quiet place. We don't really have any crime here! Nobody even locks their doors here!"

What is WITH people announcing on national television that people in this community "never lock their doors??? Is that supposed to be a boast of how wonderfully safe the community is? Doors have locks on them for a reason - "they keep honest people honest".

First of all, it is a really dumb thing to not be in the habit of locking one's doors. Secondly, it is even dumber to announce it to the world. Especially at a time when there will undoubtedly be a more than usual amount of "strangers" in town.

I wish the producers of the networks would have a chat with folks they are going to interview to warn them against saying things like this during an interview.

My warning about this is based on personal experience. My habit is to ALWAYS keep my doors locked - of course when I go out and even when I am in the home. Some years ago a friend stopped by to visit, left by my front door, and I neglected to check to see if it was properly locked.

Later in that same day I showered in my upstairs bath and the moment I stepped out of the shower I heard a voice from downstairs, loudly calling my name. It turns out that an extremely intrusive neighbor had entered my home through my unlocked front door and made herself comfortable in my living room, because "she knew I was home because she could hear my shower running".

After demanding, "What are you doing here and how did you get into my house?" this woman answered "Your door was open". I looked at her and said "No, my door was not OPEN. Apparently it was unlocked. Meaning you came to my closed front door and ended up trying the door handle to see if it was locked. And when it was not, you opened my door and entered my home! That is a ridiculous thing to do - I want you to get the HELL out of my house, right now!"

I have no idea what this neighbor woman wanted that day. We were NOT particularly "friends", certainly not of a nature to be walking into each others' houses.

This experience really disturbed me. It showed me how very easy it is for someone to "invade your space" and that there are people who will do it.

DEVELOP THE HABIT OF LOCKING YOUR DOORS! TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO LOCK THE DOORS!

who knows you just may have saved my existance!I am really bad with this, just went and checked, its close to one in the morning here and open as can be ---so bad!

I can't decide if they're keeping it close to the vest or they really don't know who they're looking for. All police are asking the public is to report anything unusual.

If the suspects aren't caught it's possible the weekenders might make alternate plans. I know I would.

On another note, it was a hot one today. Very humid and almost 90. They couldn't have gone this long without anything to drink. There hasn't been any local reporting on whether the search dogs found a scent and if anything was found via the infrared air search.

I heard about this about 6 hours in have read the whole thread, but I cant find the initiating event.what spefically casued the outcome. Why was the cop intersted in them? what specfic act had they done? It "seems" like whatever it was just started in the middle of somwhere - what am I missing - what resulting in these 4 homospaians having anything to with one another and where did contact began

Someone had mentioned maybe the slain officer had a dash cam or body cam, and perhaps LE has footage of the three. But, my thoughts are if they had any more details aside from "two white males and one black male" they would have released the details, including possible estimated age ranges, so people have a better idea of who to be on the lookout for? IDK. JMO.

yes there are oddities clothing height weight

I'm copying and pasting from google search as the article has been updated and I can only find what I was looking for in the google search results description.

Manhunt underway in Fox Lake WLS-TV‎ - 12 hours ago

A manhunt is underway in far north suburban Fox Lake. ... Initially, police said someone was shot near an old cement plant in the 100-block of Honing Road. Officers were ...

The initial incident was not made public. Just that he called in reporting a foot chase and gun shots, then contact was lost.

A number of schools are being closed tomorrow due to the search. A list at above link.

This is to close to home for comfort. And there really doesn't seem to be anything. I have no idea who to be on the look out for. I think LE really might not have much to go on.
All these attacks on police officers are insane. We just lost one to the north of us a few months back. 8 this week. Something needs to change.

WOW! What a massive manhunt going on. [video=cnn;justice/2015/09/01/police-presser-manhunt-illinois-cop-shooting-sot-lead.wgn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/illinois-police-officer-shot/index.html[/video]
The first half hour of last night's Anderson Cooper also focused on the search. The FBI and US Marshalls also actively involved.

"Gliniewicz had been married for 26 years and was to retire at the end of September."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/manhunt-underway-in-fox-lake/965033/

"The Lake County Sheriff's Office said the search perimeter was released just after 10 p.m. after a 14 hour search coordinated between local, state and federal law enforcement. The scene has been turned over to the Lake County Major Crime Task Force, which will be the lead agency on the investigation.

Due to community concerns, the following Fox Lake area schools will be closed Wednesday, Sept. 2:"

I can't believe he was retiring this month. SO tragic. His wife and 4 sons must be so devastated. :rose:

OT but related: Just saw this on CNN [video=cnn;us/2015/09/02/sot-abilene-officer-found-dead-in-home.ktxs]http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/texas-abilene-police-officer-killed/index.html[/video]

"The death of an off-duty officer in Texas is being treated as a homicide, police said Tuesday.

Abilene Officer Don Allen was found dead Monday inside his home in Clyde. Investigators haven't released details about the manner of death, but have described it as "clearly suspicious."..."

OT but related: Just saw this on CNN [video=cnn;us/2015/09/02/sot-abilene-officer-found-dead-in-home.ktxs]http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/us/texas-abilene-police-officer-killed/index.html[/video]

"The death of an off-duty officer in Texas is being treated as a homicide, police said Tuesday.

Abilene Officer Don Allen was found dead Monday inside his home in Clyde. Investigators haven't released details about the manner of death, but have described it as "clearly suspicious."..."

This one hit close. My sister is good friends with a lady whose husband was in the same training class as the officer. He was young and had his whole life a head of him. He left behind his parents and a fiancé.

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here is a map I made up to help give everyone an overview of the area.

I labeled different locations that were mentioned in initial news reports.

You can zoom in and out with the center wheel on your mouse, left click and drag to move map around on screen.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kdNsSY53CGeU&usp=sharing

TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYT!!

I am visual and this helped a lot! Does anyone know if freight trains share that track or is it a commuter only line. Cause if freight runs, well, ( a hop?) but a freight is not gonna stop at that startion, and there is a limit (speed) in terms of a human being able to hop! Notions folks?

Steal a car from the station?

Do we know yet, ages of perps? The info release pattern on this one is peculiar. Ponder , does it mean they know a lot, or very little !

The ironies re Sweat Vacation area - holdiay weekend coming .........................

This one hit close. My sister is good friends with a lady whose husband was in the same training class as the officer. He was young and had his whole life a head of him. He left behind his parents and a fiancé.

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And now there are folks are breaking into homes . I think this is gonna end up drug related.

For anybody interested, you can listen to the scanner feed for that area downstairs in the Scanner Chatter.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...KING-NEWS!!!-Current-Scanner-Alerts-7/page387

scanner feed is provided in post #7733.

Use in conjunction with map to I.D. locations: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kdNsSY53CGeU&usp=sharing

Steel

can you give direct link to scanner - when I go to page 387 there it starts at post 1300 something??

It's mind boggling that they found no trace of those three guys yesterday after the shooting. They found the wounded officer about 20 minutes after his initial call came in. There would have been about a 30 minute period of confusion after he was found, during which time they would have been calling in the calvary. So to make the math easy, let's say there would have been a high intensity search going on about an hour after the officer first called in.

Since no one was located or found during that initial dragnet, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the 3 perps had a vehicle parked in that vicinity that no one was aware of. The initial call said that the officer was going to approach 3 males that were on foot. Just because he wasn't aware of a vehicle, doesn't mean there wasn't one close by.

They took his gun and his pepper spray, but they didn't hijack his car. If they had a vehicle in the area, that would go a long ways in explaining why there were no sightings of them by civilians shortly after the shooting. If they were on foot, surely someone would have seen them walking around on some of the city streets in that area, even if they had split up.

They could have jumped on Highway 31 or Highway 12 and gone a long ways in the first half hour, and been well out of range of the initial search zone. I think these guys are in a vehicle, not on foot as first suspected.

The shooting happened about 10 minutes before 8:00 a.m., after Lt. Gliniewicz sent word over his radio that he was pursuing three suspects on foot, Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Christopher Covelli said.

Radio communication dropped off and backup officers were sent. They found the officer with a gunshot wound.

The hunt for the suspects in this case -- described by Covelli as two white men and one black man -- put at least four schools on lockdown and left people barricaded in their homes in Lake County, Illinois.

Covelli told CNN on Tuesday afternoon that an earlier report that one suspect was in custody was inaccurate.

More than 12 hours after the fatal shooting, the manhunt was still ongoing.

Law enforcement on foot and in helicopters were combing the area, according to the sheriff.

Canine units have also been dispatched. U.S Marshal officials and agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting.

Those from the area say the search zone is wooded, marshy and has a creek -- conditions some worried would become more challenging as it got dark Tuesday night.

http://fox6now.com/2015/09/01/breaking-fox-lake-il-officer-died-after-being-shot-tuesday-morning/

Ugh. Being from a family of police officers, I'm so devastated by this, and by all violence against LE especially as of late.

I heard on the radio this morning on my way to work that reporters were briefed this morning and there wasn't much new info to provide. The reporter (he had called in to 101.9) said there was no further description given of the suspects and he seemed to think that's because LE doesn't have one.

That scares me because if that's the case, how in the world are they ever going to find them, just going by their gender and race? SO terribly tragic, I hope they find those soon.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members