Straw Houses

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
"When it comes to the winter time I hardly have to turn on my heater, that saves a lot of gas." Rosy Estrada lives in a straw house.

It's hard to believe but that's what this home's insulation is made of.

"Today you would see lumber construction that's pretty common, we eliminate 40% of lumber the exterior wall is straw this gives us high insulation value," said Lothar Fastge, Housing Coordinator for Tierra Madre a program that helps low-income families build affordable homes.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/5018838/detail.html

It may be warm,...........:chicken: but I read the Three Little Pigs!

Hope they are not in a Tornado or Hurricane region or even a strong storm......

This is a great idea. We industrialized nations CAN learn something from the Third World. I've lived (short term) in a few mud houses (mixed with straw) in Syria and Iraq and they are so much nicer in the summertime than any brick, cement, or steel buildings -- without A/C. I haven't wintered in them yet but I understand that the insulation keeps them comfortably warm with just a little fire or heat on.

Cypros said:
This is a great idea. We industrialized nations CAN learn something from the Third World. I've lived (short term) in a few mud houses (mixed with straw) in Syria and Iraq and they are so much nicer in the summertime than any brick, cement, or stell buildings -- without A/C. I haven't wintered in them yet but I understand that the insulation keeps them comfortably warm with just a little fire or heat on.

I think I'm gonna have to take a pass on that one!! :angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back