1156 users online (240 members and 916 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Please move it to Gwinnett.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily17 View Post
    Why did she reject Macon? I missed that. Macon was the first place my mind went.
    My mind went there first also ... I'm from Atlanta. Were any possibilities given?

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    I read they were predicting the trial to last 6 weeks...how did it increase to 4 months? I'm curious as to why the trial would last that long.
    I would think, they are thinking of all the obstacles real and unreal the defense is going to come up with....one being, we cannot make it because we have other clients to represent, issues transporting everyone, unless there is a hotel they can stay in locally and the judge has other cases.

I work in the building next door to where this happened. There is no way he strapped that baby into his car seat at Chick-Fila after they had breakfast and drive 1 block to
    his office and forget him. The day-care center was across the expressway and further away. In addition, him and a couple of co-workers went to lunch and
    went by Home Depot where he purchased some light bulbs. He then walked to his car after lunch and put the light bulbs in it. When he got in that vehicle at the
    end of the day, the stench alone would have prevented anyone from driving 3 1/2 miles to then jump out and stage what he did at that shopping center!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Not a surprise. It seemed like almost all potential jurors were problematic for one side or the other.
    Is it bad to hope air conditioner in jail breaks and he gets overcome by that Georgia heat...
    jmo

Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

I really wonder why the judge keeps bringing up the most backwoods places in Georgia. Why not move the trial to Augusta, Columbus, Macon, or Savannah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Athens?
    ETA- I agree she made the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsArk View Post
    Athens?
    ETA- I agree she made the correct decision.
    Athens is in the Atlanta media market so they won't go there. The DT requested a COV to outside the Atlanta media market. Since Macon appears to be out of contention, they will likely be in very southern GA or on the far east border/ coast.

JudyBolton is offline In memory: My dear friend Martha Mickel, kidnapped & murdered by Curtis Tyner.
    Sorry - I tried to amend my post above and it wouldn't work for some reason. The Lynn Turner trial was moved to Houston Co. (Perry, Ga.) not Brunswick. She actually had two trials - both were moved - the 2nd was moved north to Dalton. She was found guilty in both and sentenced to life. She poisioned 2 men with antifreeze. She died in prison a little over 3 years into her sentence. No cause of death was determined. ( Probably more than you wanted to know about that! )

So I don't know where they might move the Harris trial. It will totally upset the apple cart of any county's judicial calendar. I noticed the Turner trial began in Feb. of 2004 - they could not seat an impartial jury and moved to Houston CO. the verdict was reached May 14 of 2004. So that was 4 month including the trial.
    Judy ( posting only my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post
    Athens is in the Atlanta media market so they won't go there. The DT requested a COV to outside the Atlanta media market. Since Macon appears to be out of contention, they will likely be in very southern GA or on the far east border/ coast.
    Valdosta or Perry are the locations I'm thinking of.
    Life is an attitude... have a good one :Bananahi:

Quote Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
    Wild's livestream can still be viewed, and is worth watching in entirety. It wasn't even a close decision. She checked with the attys on their progress after an hour plus. They predictably said they were at an impasse. The State would concede 2 of 6 contested jurors and no more, the DT could accept no fewer than all 6.

Staley indicated that she wouldn't have been able to accept any agreement they made anyway. That the DT had met its burden of demonstrating both that pre-trial publicity had been pervasive, and that the publicity had clearly tainted the jury pool--deeply. She also seemed to call into question the reliability of what jurors had testified to ---that some who said on questionnaires they could be unbiased came into court and said they could not be, and some who said in questionnaires they were biased also said otherwise in court. And last, she said that the "cold" record didn't begin to reflect the depth of sentiment against RH she had witnessed for herself.

Not even close.

BTW- in discussing venues, she referred to the trial lasting between 2-4 months, not weeks.
    Thank you so much for this very informative and helpful post. I watched the entire live stream earlier this evening and was struck by how unpleasant this trial is for everyone involved. I have been listening to quite a bit of the audio, but it was striking to see the facial expressions. I am sure that none of the parties, excluding JRH himself, are excited about the change of venue. I do appreciate that Judge Staley recognized what an imposition it would be on the jurors to bring them to Cobb County.

I read they were predicting the trial to last 6 weeks...how did it increase to 4 months? I'm curious as to why the trial would last that long.
    In the livestream, she said, "4 to 6 months." I think that she misspoke and meant to say 4-6 weeks. At least, I am assuming that she got her units mixed up. She looked like she has had some long, tiring days.

I really wonder why the judge keeps bringing up the most backwoods places in Georgia. Why not move the trial to Augusta, Columbus, Macon, or Savannah?

I don't get it either and have wondered that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Todalu View Post
    I work in the building next door to where this happened. There is no way he strapped that baby into his car seat at Chick-Fila after they had breakfast and drive 1 block to
    his office and forget him.
    The day-care center was across the expressway and further away. In addition, him and a couple of co-workers went to lunch and
    went by Home Depot where he purchased some light bulbs. He then walked to his car after lunch and put the light bulbs in it. When he got in that vehicle at the
    end of the day, the stench alone would have prevented anyone from driving 3 1/2 miles to then jump out and stage what he did at that shopping center!
    Emphasis added by me.

I 100% agree. While it is one thing to look at a map and see how close these locations are to one other, the map does not convey how it is practically inconceivable that he "forgot" Cooper during the drive. The topography and layout of the Paces Ferry and Cumberland Blvd. intersection cannot be adequately communicated in words. Having worked at The Home Depot's SSC and knowing that area very well, I wish there was a way for people not from the area to understand the visual and physical relationship between CFA, Cooper's daycare, and the Tree House. I really hope that Judge Stanley allows the prosecution to take the jurors on their field trip.
    Last edited by GA_Peach; 05-02-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Valdosta and you are almost in Florida, Columbus almost in Alabama, Augusta almost in S Carolina. These seem possible to me. Perry is so close to Macon. She nixed Macon so not sure what that means to Perry.
    Goodness, we have air conditioning here. Not sure what facility doesn't but God bless them!

I am sorry that I wasn't more clear in my original statement. I was attempting to say that a new county will not be a good reflection of Cobb County. While I am sure that they can find a new location, it won't be representative of the place where Cooper's death occurred.

I also wonder how the change of venue will affect the prosecution's motion for field trips. If jurors are able to see the locations of JRH's movements on the day of Cooper's death, I think that JRH will be found guilty. JMO
    Interesting all around but what does the defense get out if it? The judge helps his/her record by minimizing reversible error, Cobb County/State of Georgia gets a bigger bill. I don't see what difference a different location will make in the preventable or purposeful death of a child.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

After living in Georgia for ten years, Ol' Sparky works just as well no matter what county you get convicted in. A doctor friend of mind worked at that prison south of Atlanta for years. JMO.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily17 View Post
    Valdosta and you are almost in Florida, Columbus almost in Alabama, Augusta almost in S Carolina. These seem possible to me. Perry is so close to Macon. She nixed Macon so not sure what that means to Perry.
    Goodness, we have air conditioning here. Not sure what facility doesn't but God bless them!

She doesn't like the DT, and she most certainly doesn't like the defendant. She essentially called him a "pervert" from the bench, unapologetically.

Maybe she wants to take the trial to a county she thinks most hostile to the defense, and she's thinking rural for partially that reason. The DT and State have to agree on a location first before she gets a say, though she can override their choice if she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by wendybtn View Post
    Interesting all around but what does the defense get out if it? The judge helps his/her record by minimizing reversible error, Cobb County/State of Georgia gets a bigger bill. I don't see what difference a different location will make in the preventable or purposeful death of a child.

A fair trial and a fair verdict, hopefully, whatever the outcome.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast