NY NY - Lysander, Oswego River, WhtMale 25-35, UP6056, Italian Mano Cornuto amulet & cornicello, Jun'76

Romulus

Reaction score
The Doe Network

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1016umny.html

1016UMNY.jpg
1016UMNY2.jpg
1016UMNY4.jpg

Reconstructions of Victim, Center: victim's amulet, Right: victim's coin

Unidentified Male

Date of Discovery: June 16, 1976
Location of Discovery: Lysander, Onondaga County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 2-5 weeks prior
State of Remains: Not stated
Cause of Death: Not stated
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 25-35 years old
Race: Caucasian
Height: 5'10
Weight: 130-140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown, medium length
Eye Color: unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Thin build. Large, thin, jagged nose. No tattoos or scars.
Dentals: Extensive dental work done, including many fillings and crowns.
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Beige, cashmere, v-neck pullover sweater - Size 42, over a blue turtleneck sweater. Blue Jeans; a pair of 100% nylon, yellow bikini undershorts with red trim. (label of Matt Andrews, made in Israel) - sold at a Zayre. In 1976 the three closest Zayre stores were in Glens Falls, Jamestown and Newburgh. Florsheim, brown, leather half boots with side zippers. Size 9 1/2 D. 1976 was the most popular year for the boot, most common size and sold all over the US according to manufacture. Blue cotton socks (made in Hong Kong).
Jewelry: Gold chain with charms of an Italian "Mano Cornuto" symbol, and cornicello or "horn" like the horn of a bull..
Additional Personal Items: 87 cents and the good-luck charm from South of the Border amusement park in South Carolina.
Case History

Three fisherman found the decomposed body in the Oswego River, just north of Three Rivers in Lysander. The victim had been smothered. The body was tied with a rope, and the rope tied to two cinder blocks to keep it submerged. The cinder blocks were made locally by Barnes and Cone, in Dewitt, NY. The body was in the water for about 2 weeks before floating to the surface. Part of a light colored shirt was wrapped around his face and head. In his pockets were a small amount of change, 87 cents and the good-luck charm from South of the Border amusement park in South Carolina.

The Mano Cornuto is an Italian amulet of ancient origin. Corno means horn, Mano means hand. The charm represents a hand gesture in which the index and little fingers are extended while the middle and ring fingers are curled into the palm. The reference is to the horned head of an animal. The Mano Cornuto is used for supposed magical protection to ward off evil. A regionally popular amulet, it is primarily found in Italy and in America among descendants of Italian immigrants.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: New York State Police
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 315-455-2922

NCIC Case Number: U242646027
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

AMW
NAMUS https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/6056

For info: in Italian the word cornuto can also mean another thing: when you are betrayed by your partner with another person, and having sex with another they say the term cornuto. ;) ; actually the exact word is mano cornuta (hand horned or hand with horns; for info look this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornicello

The Doe Network: Case File 4073DMLA

GCaporino.jpg

Gabriel Anthony Caporino
Missing since March 7, 1974 from New Orleans, Jefferson County, Louisiana
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Age at Time of Disappearance: 41 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 160 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: on file with University of North Texas.
    • AKA: Gabe

Circumstances of Disappearance
Gabriel Caporino left the Intercontinental Hotel on Canal Street to go to the French Quarter to hear jazz. He drove his Hertz rented car to the location.
He called a family member that evening to tell his plans for the evening and confirm his flight home the next day.

Gabe Caporino's hotel room bed appeared to not have been slept in, he never boarded his flight back to New York, and his car was found abandoned in New Orleans. A check was forged in his name in the month he disappeared. So while he does have connections to NY state, it seems likely he met with foul play soon after his disappearance in 1974.

Of interest to me, though, is Frank S. Passafiume, missing from Brooklyn in April of 1976. I find reference to Passafiumes in Rochester, which is about an hour from where the body was found. Other Passafiumes in New York City seem to be involved in owning tenements and allegedly accomplice to arson. Hairstyle is quite similar. 5'9" and 145 lbs. 27 years old. Appears to be a snappy dresser.

Original
passafiume_frank2-1-jpg.120601
passafiume_frank3-1-jpg.120602

Interestingly, I found an obituary from 2014 for another Frank (P.) Passafiume from Rochester, who would be almost the exact age of this person. Frank's not an unusual name for that generation and background, though--there's one with yet another middle initial, similar age, in the Bronx.

Frank S. Passafiume – The Charley Project
Missing Person Case
NY - -NY- Frank S. Passafiume, Brooklyn, April 14, 1976

I agree that Frank looks promising - the first obvious result prior to the date of the UID discovery.

I hope he gets an updated reconstruction, the current one is somewhat poor. I just added his case to the unidentified murder victims in NY wikipedia page recently, hoping it'll get more exposure.

Did anybody ever submit Passafiume?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Exclusions:

MP8766 Myron Alberding 07/10/1973 Hamilton NY
MP7072 David Bacon 04/10/1969 Rensselaer NY
MP9866 Richard Howard 07/28/1974 Delaware NY
MP1752 Christopher King 08/02/1974 San Bernardino CA
MP7600 Michael McLaughlin 10/23/1975 Onondaga NY
MP2442 Thomas Meuse 08/09/1971 Schenectady NY
MP7770 Alan Soper 06/07/1974 Tulsa OK
MP4566 Duane Talmon, Jr. 10/30/1974 Erie NY
MP9488 Steven Thomas 02/16/1976 Oneida NY
MP4 Mitchel Weiser 07/27/1973 Sullivan NY

Below I attached two more images

Attachments

• 805CE85F-AF40-4C39-8420-7F5C1737F9B2.png
    805CE85F-AF40-4C39-8420-7F5C1737F9B2.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 4
  • ED76FFAD-C0FE-4F23-A22E-3ACF399A2158.png
    ED76FFAD-C0FE-4F23-A22E-3ACF399A2158.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 4
Keeping you posted. Got an email that vicap wants to speak to me on the phone, I’m scared but will answer.
It'll be good news either way. Either its them or it's another ruleout so investigators don't have to worry about ruling him out in the future.

It'll be good news either way. Either its them or it's another ruleout so investigators don't have to worry about ruling him out in the future.
Would they really call me for this? I figured they’d just put him in exclusions and I’d find out by checking….

Would they really call me for this? I figured they’d just put him in exclusions and I’d find out by checking….

Omg this is so exciting!! just lead them to the websleuths page and they can read all the reasons why everyone thinks this is the guy ha!

The FBI called me when I submitted a UID as a possible match to gangster Whitey Bulgur several years ago when he was still on the lam. They wanted to see if I had any more information beyond what I put in my email, which I didn't, or any connection to the case, which I also didn't. They were very polite and though the match didn't pan out (he was definitely alive then) they sent me a very nice followup email thanking me for being a concerned citizen.

Omg this is so exciting!! just lead them to the websleuths page and they can read all the reasons why everyone thinks this is the guy ha!

I did in fact in my email point out several things websleuthers (and redditors) pointed out with directing them to the sites where I got the info from (including this one). So thank you everyone! Let's cross our fingers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back