Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]UPDATE: Police release new details about missing UI scholar[/h]
image1.PNG

Police spokesman Pat Wade said Yingying Zhang, 26, boarded a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District Teal line bus at 1:35 p.m. Friday at the south shelter at the Orchard Downs complex in Urbana. She got off the bus at 1:52 p.m. at Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana and hasn't been seen since then.

Wade said the last time she was seen, Zhang was wearing a charcoal-gray hat with a white logo on the front, a white/pink flannel long-sleeve shirt, a white undershirt, jeans, white shoes and a navy-blue backpack. She has shoulder-length brown hair and wears glasses.
89416_0611_loca_yingying_zhang.jpg

Multiple attempts to contact her at her home and on her cellphone have been unsuccessful, Wade said. Police have also talked to friends and checked local hospitals, as is routine in missing-persons cases.

The visiting scholar from China was headed to the One North apartment complex on North Lincoln Avenue in Urbana on Friday to sign a lease, Wade said.

"She texted the property manager at One North at 1:30 p.m., said she was going to be late and never showed up. That was the last anyone has heard from her," he said.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ase-new-details-about-missing-ui-scholar.html

UPDATE: University of Illinois have released a video of UI scholar Yinying Zhang entering a black vehicle on North Goodwin Avenue before she was reported missing Friday. Police are seeking the public’s help in identifying the vehicle, a black Saturn Astra. A security video from the B-4 parking garage on North Goodwin shows Zhang standing on the east side of Goodwin as the vehicle pulls up beside her. She and the driver speak for some time before she enters the vehicle, which then continues north on Goodwin Avenue.
Video: http://www.news-gazette.com/video/2017-06-12/missing-ui-scholar-enters-car.html

Previously reported: Yingying Zhang, 26, boarded a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District Teal line bus at 1:35 p.m. Friday at the south shelter at the Orchard Downs complex in Urbana. She got off the bus at 1:52 p.m. at Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana and hasn't been seen since then.

Zhang was wearing a charcoal-gray hat with a white logo on the front, a white/pink flannel long-sleeve shirt, a white undershirt, jeans, white shoes and a navy-blue backpack. She has shoulder-length brown hair and wears glasses.

image1.PNG
89416_0611_loca_yingying_zhang.jpg

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...elease-video-car-tied-missing-ui-scholar.html

[h=1]UPDATE: Police release video of car tied to missing UI scholar[/h]
URBANA — University of Illinois Police are investigating whether missing UI scholar Yingying Zhang may have called a ride-sharing service Friday afternoon before she was reported missing, releasing a video showing her entering a black car along North Goodwin Avenue.
missing_scholar.jpeg

Police are seeking the public’s help in identifying the vehicle, a black Saturn Astra. Detectives are also examining her cell-phone records and working with ride-sharing companies such as Uber to see if Zhang may have arranged for a ride, Wade said.

The video released Monday morning, from the B-4 parking garage on North Goodwin, shows Zhang standing on the east side of Goodwin as the vehicle pulls up beside her. She and the driver speak for some time before she enters the vehicle shortly after 2 p.m., which then continues north on Goodwin Avenue.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...elease-video-car-tied-missing-ui-scholar.html

This is local to me as well. This is also my first post. I've followed so many missing persons cases on here, the fact that it's happening so close to home is sending shivers down my spine.

The car is unique in that it was only manufactured in 2008-2009 so there aren't a lot of them on the road. My husband went to school there, it's generally a safe area. Hope the driver comes forward with more info.

Here is a new story out of China that says her parents are expediting visas and will be in the US shortly to help with the search.

It also mentions and incident on June 9th on campus where students reported a black car driving the campus "pretending" to be a plainclothes policeman asking students if they need a ride:

As a result of the Champagne University students on June 9 that day, in the campus was driving a black car driving on the roadside stopped, the car driving and pretended to be a student "plainclothes police", asked students to enter his In the car to accept the inquiry, the reddit issued a student said that the strange "police", the clothes have a police badge on the chest, the name was blocked students feel different, refused to enter the car, the driving left the scene, no Make things difficult or hands, the students also after the alarm for the record. And Zhang Yingying disappeared after the possible location, and "false police" haunt away, there have been students to the police to provide information, and suspected of the same suspects.

https://udn.com/news/story/6813/2521717

Here is a new story out of China that says her parents are expediting visas and will be in the US shortly to help with the search.

It also mentions and incident on June 9th on campus where students reported a black car driving the campus "pretending" to be a plainclothes policeman asking students if they need a ride:

As a result of the Champagne University students on June 9 that day, in the campus was driving a black car driving on the roadside stopped, the car driving and pretended to be a student "plainclothes police", asked students to enter his In the car to accept the inquiry, the reddit issued a student said that the strange "police", the clothes have a police badge on the chest, the name was blocked students feel different, refused to enter the car, the driving left the scene, no Make things difficult or hands, the students also after the alarm for the record. And Zhang Yingying disappeared after the possible location, and "false police" haunt away, there have been students to the police to provide information, and suspected of the same suspects.

https://udn.com/news/story/6813/2521717

The U of I official police blotter has no reference to any suspicious behavior by anyone in a black vehicle on the 9th or any other day of June.

Oh no this cannot be good.
I hope Yingying is found safe.
I do hope the driver is found soon.

Search Continues for Missing U of I Scholar

No one has seen or heard from Yingying Zhang since Friday. University of Illinois Police say they are working with rideshare businesses and cell phone companies to try and help find her. Flyers can also be seen all over campus asking for anyone to come forward with information.

The visiting scholar from China came to the U of I in April to study Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences.

"I just know she's first time here, and she's like a Ph.D. student,” U of I student Sunny Chen said. “So I just feel very sad and very sorry for her and her family."

Chinese scholar missing from University of Illinois for days

University of Illinois police released surveillance video on Monday showing Zhang entering a black Saturn Astra vehicle in Urbana about 2 p.m. Friday, shortly after getting off a bus. University police spokesman Patrick Wade tells The (Champaign) News-Gazette that authorities need the public’s help to identify the vehicle.

Zhang is visiting the school’s Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Police say she’s been in central Illinois about a month and has been staying in university housing.

[video=twitter;874820694025969664]https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/874820694025969664[/video]

US police launch search for Chinese student missing for four days

Police said they were working with ride-sharing programs like Uber and checking other reports of a black vehicle whose driver had invited other young women to get in.

Police said on their website that they were “deeply concerned” and were treating the case as an urgent matter.

Zhang earned her master’s degree in Environmental Engineering from Peking University in Beijing in 2016.

How has this black car not been located?! It is a rare model, I thought they would at least have narrowed it down by now!

Police find federal help in missing scholar search

University of Illinois police say the FBI is involved in the search for a missing scholar.

Campus police say they’re using FBI resources as they try to find the car. They’re also working with ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft and keeping an eye on cell phone records.

Massive search for missing student continues in IL

A massive search continues to be carried out by both police and at the grassroots level.

"We are doing everything we can to search for her, including the use of resources offered by our partner law enforcement agencies and the FBI," UIUC Police Department Chief Jeff Christensen said on Tuesday.

According to local media, Zhang had sent a text message last Friday confirming to a prospective landlord that she was on her way to Urbana to sign a lease on an apartment, but she never showed up.

Her last phone activity was at 1:30 pm the same day, saying that she was running late and would not be there until around 2:10.

The last message on her phone was from the landlord delivered at 2:38 pm. "Hey Yingying! Just checking in to see if you're on your way."

There was no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member