My new Heroes - PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000 strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in Iraq are divine punishment for a country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs thanking God for so-called IEDs -- explosives that are a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

The bikers shield the families of dead soldiers from the protesters, and overshadow the jeers with patriotic chants and a sea of red, white and blue flags.

"The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation cares," said Don Woodrick, the group's Kentucky captain. "When a total stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement."

MORE AT:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/21/funeral.motorcyclists.ap/index.html

Good for them! Any funeral protester should be :slap:

Jeana (DP) said:
FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000 strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in Iraq are divine punishment for a country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs thanking God for so-called IEDs -- explosives that are a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

The bikers shield the families of dead soldiers from the protesters, and overshadow the jeers with patriotic chants and a sea of red, white and blue flags.

"The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation cares," said Don Woodrick, the group's Kentucky captain. "When a total stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement."

MORE AT:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/21/funeral.motorcyclists.ap/index.html

This past Friday I picked my son up from Ft. Benning, GA. We attended his graduation. I am now a "Proud Army Mom". To hear this A-hole spew that kind of Schitt makes me so freaking mad I feel like the top of my head will come off. For him to mention the IED's. My best friend's son is a Marine and has been in Iraq. We have discussed on several occasions how cruel our minds and imaginations can be. The worst is when you lay down at night and close your eyes and all of a sudden you picture your son wearing his Class A uniform and laying in a casket. It is all you can do to hold yourself together and make your mind thing "happy thoughts". The worst of it is, my son pledged his body, mind, soul and life for the freedom of that A-Hole to be able to stand there and say that. I guess we take the good and the evil. But when I look into my son's eyes and see his pride and then to hear that, my heart BURNS.
Sorry for the language and attitude, Looking into the eyes of 300 Army Graduates is still real fresh in my mind.

2XL said:
This past Friday I picked my son up from Ft. Benning, GA. We attended his graduation. I am now a "Proud Army Mom". To hear this A-hole spew that kind of Schitt makes me so freaking mad I feel like the top of my head will come off. For him to mention the IED's. My best friend's son is a Marine and has been in Iraq. We have discussed on several occasions how cruel our minds and imaginations can be. The worst is when you lay down at night and close your eyes and all of a sudden you picture your son wearing his Class A uniform and laying in a casket. It is all you can do to hold yourself together and make your mind thing "happy thoughts". The worst of it is, my son pledged his body, mind, soul and life for the freedom of that A-Hole to be able to stand there and say that. I guess we take the good and the evil. But when I look into my son's eyes and see his pride and then to hear that, my heart BURNS.
Sorry for the language and attitude, Looking into the eyes of 300 Army Graduates is still real fresh in my mind.

Congrates on your son, 2XL! I'm very proud of him. Never laid eyes on him, but I'm proud of him just the same. They're a special group.

My son went to Iraq also and I had the same horrible visions. For this loser "preacher" to use such an earth shattering time for family and friends to make his stand is beyond me.

This is the kicker for me. From the link above, it says that most of Phelps' followers are his extended family. Sounds like inbreeding.

2XL said:

I completely, 100% understand and agree with you. Please tell your son that we thank him (and you) and we're proud of him and I hope he knows that the ahole who protests at the funerals stands alone.

I would bet a million dollars that Phelps is a closet homosexual.

I had to look up this guy and see if he is mainstream or not.

Talk about a nutjob.....it is estimated that he has 100 followers, 90 are blood relatives of his.

I am glad that the "family" of these soldiers are helped by the presence of the "guards".

Jeana (DP) said:
I completely, 100% understand and agree with you. Please tell your son that we thank him (and you) and we're proud of him and I hope he knows that the ahole who protests at the funerals stands alone.

Thank you and I will certainly tell him.

This guy is an insult to the human race, not to mention all Christians and service men. It is horrible for anyone to disrespect any family who is grieving in this way. But, to dishonor our military men calls for an explosive up his "the sun don't shine" place in my opinion!

Yes, these bikers are heros!!

And the protesters - I have no words to describe what I think of them.

This is the first I've heard of this Phelps freak, and I must say I feel so angry right now. I can't imagine being one of the mourners at a funeral he showed up at. I'm afraid I'd be the one to go to jail. This hatemonger should maybe read the new testament with his eyes actually open next time. fruitcake..Bless those bikers. Lots of them do so much for others. When my son had his appendix out, there was a large group of them at the hospital one day giving out gifts. I spoke to one, and he said they do it every year. Now THAT is a christian attitude.

CyberLaw said:
it is estimated that he has 100 followers, 90 are blood relatives of his.

I am glad that the "family" of these soldiers are helped by the presence of the "guards".
Does that mean the family Tree did not split?

I had never heard of this. Somebody needs to carry those Phelps people to the looney bin. NO one should be allowed to desecrate the soldiers' funerals, or anyone's funeral for that matter.

It's not even about the war, it's about homosexuality, so what does that have to do with a soldier's funeral anyway. Yuck. Sick, sick, sick.

The soldier son of family friends just returned from a year in Afghanistan. He posted a photo of his group being greeted at midnight in Bangor, Maine by some local veterans. They and some others who are not vets do this routinely for all returning service people, as so many pass through their airport at any and all hours of the night.Now THAT is how to conduct oneself toward our service folks. The Rev. Nutjob needs to be ridden out of town, any town in which he appears. 2XL, please thank you son for all of us.

Accordin to this Phelps guy: Everything from the Columbia Spaceship to Hurricane Katrina are the result of "God's wrath against Homosexuals". That includes 911.........and everyone in the Military.

Apparently if you don't agree with this "nutjob" then you are against him.

Oh and according to Phelps....God hates the USA and God hates Canada.

Even though I don't agree with the War, I do have the utmost respect for those men and women who are fighting the war and they should be treated with the utmost respect of everyone.

I read the background on this Phelps guy - he is a disbarred lawyer. No surprise.

Thank you all for your kind words of support for my son and all of our troops. This is a most difficult time for our world right now. It doesn't really matter if you agree or disagree with the war's that are currently being fought. My son and others have worked hard to train and prepare for when they are called into service. They follow orders, period. Hate the reason, but support the troops. I would die to protect my family, as would we all, but soldiers make an oath to die for you and you and you, everyone, good or bad. Until now, I have lived my life on the fringe, but being right in the middle of it now, I cannot find words to tell you the pride that I feel to have a soldier in my family and for it to be my very own son.
I ask you all, please pray for our troops and their families every day. My son lives and breathes all of this. It is his job, "no big deal", but for me, IT IS a big deal. Pride and fear rule my heart.
I love you guys and love having a place to go to express my pride, joy, fear and frustration. At WS, give it a minute, someone else will pop up that is living it or has gone through it and can offer words of support or advise.

The first pic is a pic of some of America's newest heros..........The second pic is of America's Newest Zero...........

Attachments

• Veteransatfunerals.jpg
    Veteransatfunerals.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 42
  • phelps.jpg
    phelps.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 37

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors