Breast Feeding Protest At Victorias Secret

Old Broad

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.kfoxtv.com/family/9462371/detail.html

RACINE, Wis. -- You'd figure Victoria's Secret is breast-friendly. Not so, says nursing mom Rebecca Cook.

She organized a breast-feeding protest over the weekend outside of a Victoria's Secret in Racine, Wis. About 20 women and children showed up to support the cause.

Cook said she was shopping at the store with a friend last week when she asked to use a dressing room to nurse her daughter. When she was told no room was available, she offered to sit in the rear of the dressing room hallway but was told that was unacceptable, she said.

More at link.
Old Broad

I guess I am confused??

The mom seems to be the one who requested privacy. The article doesn't say that VS refused to let her breast feed in the store.
Just that they did not have a private place to do so.

I guess my question is who has the issue? If mom wasn't comfortable breast feeding in public then I don't see how VS has an issue? The Article did not indicate that VS had issue with the women breast feeding in the open in their store.
If someone had requested she leave or not breast feed in the store I would take issue... but the case seems to be more about her own insecurity breast feeding in public and she is annoyed there was no private place ....

I wanted to add...

From the article.. "Cook said the issue is that breasts aren't obscene and that nursing isn't a dirty act that needs to take place in a bathroom or in private."

Then why did she ask to use a dressing room?
"Cook said she was shopping at the store with a friend last week when she asked to use a dressing room to nurse her daughter. When she was told no room was available, she offered to sit in the rear of the dressing room hallway but was told that was unacceptable, she said."

Perhaps things have changed a lot over the years, but the newspaper picture I saw had only one infant nursing; the rest of the children were 2 and 3 years old.???

The issue could have been a place to sit. I know in our mall the food court is about the only place with benches or chairs. That area is so loud it would not be a good place to feed a baby. I know I took a seat in the Jcpenny dressing room to nurse on more then one occasion.

Yeah, this is kind of a goofy story.

All I know is in my nursing days which were a long time ago, I just nursed anywhere. I was discreet and no one had a clue. never asked for a special place to nurse or any special accomodations. if one place wasn't suitable for whatever reason, I just found another place that was. Everyone is just so hypersensitive.
Can't believe this is in the news.

The only reason I nursed my baby in private is I wasn't very good at it and it embarassed me. :) Some ladies can walk, push a baby carraige and shop with their kid nursing and never miss a step. Me? I was as awkward as a toddler trying to square dance. I'd put a babyblanket up in my car window and hide behind the mall near something no one could see me. :)

But good GRIEF - what is more NATURAL than feeding your kid?

It always amuses me that people can watch beheadings on television, grousome movies, *advertiser censored* and whatever all, and cuss like sailors in public and give their kids alcohol... but there is no acceptance for a baby getting his lunch.

This is a little off topic but my father in law was nursed until he was 5 years old. There was some thought that nursing was a way to avoid becoming pregnant. Not exactly sure if that's totally why it was done or not, but his mother never got pregnant again either.

Old Broad

My aunt nursed her two girls - I remember them fighting over it. Running to their mother and ripping her shirt open. Even as a young girl, somehow that struck me as not being altogether something I was comfortable with. I think Donna was 9 months old when she stopped wanting to nurse and I was cool with that.

Ok-I don't get it. It's certainly nice of Victorias Secret to allow nursing mom's to use the dressing room if one is available but if they are in use by customer's what are they supposed to do-kick the customer's out so she can nurse? If the dressing rooms were full, and the lady didn't want to sit on the floor in the dressing room area then the employee restroom is about the only place left in the store. They can't let her in the back areas to nurse for liabilty reasons. I think VS was pretty reasonable about it.

I think I've nursed my daughter just about everywhere and never had a cross word spoken to me. I've even had a few ladies and one REALLY old guy come up and tell me that they thought it was wonderful. I don't think most people even have a clue though-I know I never noticed nursing mother's before I had my daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back