June Allyson dies at 88

Maral

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Link

LOS ANGELES Jul 10, 2006 (AP)— June Allyson, the sunny, raspy-voiced "perfect wife" of James Stewart, Van Johnson and other movie heroes, has died, her daughter said Monday. She was 88.

Allyson died Saturday at her home in Ojai, with her husband of nearly 30 years, David Ashrow, at her side, Pamela Allyson Powell said. She died of pulmonary respiratory failure and acute bronchitis after a long illness.

During World War II, American GIs pinned up photos of Rita Hayworth and Betty Grable, but June Allyson was the girl they wanted to come home to. Petite, blond and alive with fresh-faced optimism, she seemed the ideal sweetheart and wife, supportive and unthreatening.

Wow, I can't believe she's been married to her current husband for almost 30 years. Wasn't her late husband Dick Powell? Surely it can't be 30 years since he died! I remember them so well. Gee, do you think I'm showing my age! LOL!

Yes, she did marry Powell. I actually met both of them when I was a kid (now who's showing their age? :D They made an overnight stop at the coastal town I lived in while on their way to Alaska on their yacht.

I remember my mother being all flustered! haha.

ETA: I just googled Powell and he died in '63! :eek:

luvbeaches said:
That's too bad. I enjoyed her movies.

But, my friend, that is a ripe old age. I liked her too. She is in the memory of so many. A pretty good legacy.

ETA: I just googled Powell and he died in '63! :eek:
Ohmygosh, he's been deceased for 43 years! Wow.

I loved June Allyson's voice... there was such an unusual quality to it. But as someone said, she lived to a ripe old age. May she rest in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back