Dell Recall - Lithium Ion Battery

SieSie

Reaction score
Dell Battery Program

"Dell has identified a potential issue associated with certain batteries sold with Dell Latitude™, Inspiron™, XPS™ and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation™ notebook computers. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies, Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these batteries. Under rare conditions, it is possible for these batteries to overheat, which could pose a risk of fire.

Potentially affected batteries were sold with the following models of Dell notebook computers or separately as secondary batteries:

Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810

Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705

Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90

XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710

In addition, these batteries may have also been provided in response to service calls. The batteries were shipped to customers between April 1, 2004 and July 18, 2006. The words "DELL" and "Made in Japan" or "Made in China" or "Battery cell made in Japan, Assembled in China" are printed on the back of the batteries. If your battery does not reflect one of these markings it is not part of this recall, and you may exit the site."

Source: NY Times
"Dell is recalling 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they could erupt in flames, the company said today."
"Dell, the world’s largest PC maker, said the lithium-ion batteries were made by Sony and were installed in notebooks sold between April 2004 and July 18 of this year."
"Dell has reported to the safety agency that it documented six instances since December in which notebooks overheated or caught on fire. None of the incidents caused injuries or death. Dell said the problems were a result of a manufacturing defect in batteries made by Sony.

The safety agency said the batteries were not unique to Dell, meaning that other companies using Sony batteries may also have to issue recalls. Sony has sold its batteries to most of the major computer makers."

Source: CNET News
"The recall affects certain Inspiron, Latitude and Precision mobile workstations and XPS units shipped between April 2004 and July 18, 2006. Sony manufactured the batteries that are being recalled, the representative said."

More at links, didn't want to copy too much due to copyright rules.

I'll have to check my battery. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100, but my battery went bad. I did buy an extended policy and they came to my house and replaced the fan. The tech told me that batteries aren't under warranty. I have been using it without the battery by using electrical power, but I was going to order a new battery real soon.

I had heard briefly about a recall, but not the details. Thank you for posting this. I'll get my battery out when I get home and check to see if it's on the list.

Just checked, darn, I'll have to buy one. Can't get one free........

Barn Goddess - did you ever talk with Dell? I also have a 1100 as well as a 2500 which don't appear on the list but my 1100 runs real hot so I was curious if there was a connection.

Joining Dell in recalling notebook batteries are Lenovo/IBM, Apple, Toshiba and Fujitsu.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has released tips on how to lower the risk of your battery exploding:

Notebook tips

One of the tips was "Do not use your computer on soft surfaces", and another "Do not use your computer on your lap". I have a dell laptop but I can't use it on my lap and I can't have it on my bed at night? pfft. I guess that's why they renamed them 'notebooks'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back