730 users online (103 members and 627 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Thumbs up Serious use for Silly String

    (AP) In an age of multimillion-dollar high-tech weapons systems, sometimes it's the simplest ideas that can save lives. Which is why a New Jersey mother is organizing a drive to send cans of Silly String to Iraq.

    American troops use the stuff to detect trip wires around bombs, as Marcelle Shriver learned from her son, a soldier in Iraq.

    Before entering a building, troops squirt the plastic goo, which can shoot strands about 10 to 12 feet, across the room. If it falls to the ground, no trip wires. If it hangs in the air, they know they have a problem. The wires are otherwise nearly invisible.

    Now, 1,000 cans of the neon-colored plastic goop are packed into Shriver's one-car garage in this town outside Philadelphia, ready to be shipped to the Middle East thanks to two churches and a pilot who heard about the drive.

    "If I turn on the TV and see a soldier with a can of this on his vest, that would make this all worth it," said Shriver, 57, an office manager.

    The maker of the Silly String brand, Just for Kicks Inc. of Watertown, N.Y., has contacted the Shrivers about donating some. Other manufacturers make the stuff, too, and call their products "party string" or "crazy string."

    "Everyone in the entire corporation is very pleased that we can be involved in something like this," said Rob Oram, Just for Kicks product marketing manager. He called the troops' use of Silly String innovative.

    More at link:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/...aq_1&printer=1


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    (AP) In an age of multimillion-dollar high-tech weapons systems, sometimes it's the simplest ideas that can save lives. Which is why a New Jersey mother is organizing a drive to send cans of Silly String to Iraq.

    American troops use the stuff to detect trip wires around bombs, as Marcelle Shriver learned from her son, a soldier in Iraq.

    Before entering a building, troops squirt the plastic goo, which can shoot strands about 10 to 12 feet, across the room. If it falls to the ground, no trip wires. If it hangs in the air, they know they have a problem. The wires are otherwise nearly invisible.

    Now, 1,000 cans of the neon-colored plastic goop are packed into Shriver's one-car garage in this town outside Philadelphia, ready to be shipped to the Middle East thanks to two churches and a pilot who heard about the drive.

    "If I turn on the TV and see a soldier with a can of this on his vest, that would make this all worth it," said Shriver, 57, an office manager.

    The maker of the Silly String brand, Just for Kicks Inc. of Watertown, N.Y., has contacted the Shrivers about donating some. Other manufacturers make the stuff, too, and call their products "party string" or "crazy string."

    "Everyone in the entire corporation is very pleased that we can be involved in something like this," said Rob Oram, Just for Kicks product marketing manager. He called the troops' use of Silly String innovative.

    More at link:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/...aq_1&printer=1
    That's pretty ingenious!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165
    What a great thing to do...

    but also, what a not-so-smart thing to write about in the press. The press may as well tell the terrorists our whole game plan so they can continue to harm us and figure out altenative ways of doing things.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    408
    Awesome. I've regarded silly string as an evil substance for many years now (none the least because of Darlie Routier), but if it helps our soldiers, then I'm all for the goop~!
    Please read up on the murder of Dr. David Cornbleet here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45720




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    70
    Why does it remind you of her?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by weekender
    Why does it remind you of her?
    She used it at her children's funeral, iirc.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by weekender
    Why does it remind you of her?
    After the death of her boys, she had an impromptu "birthday party" at their graves and sprayed silly string all over the ground. I'm not very much into the Routier case- only kind of scratch the surface of it- but Darlier = evil for me.
    Please read up on the murder of Dr. David Cornbleet here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45720




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    I'll be sure to put it on my shopping list to donate for the boys!!! Thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    What a great thing to do...

    but also, what a not-so-smart thing to write about in the press. The press may as well tell the terrorists our whole game plan so they can continue to harm us and figure out altenative ways of doing things.

    It's a brilliant thing to write about. Now we know something that can help our soldiers over there and we can send it to them or give it to any agency that takes up donations for gift boxes.

    It's certainly not something I would have thought of, nor would many others.... so if the press hadn't wrote about it, how would we have known?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    362
    No meaning to sound arrogant, but don't you think they have had their own "silly string" after all these years.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by justice2
    No meaning to sound arrogant, but don't you think they have had their own "silly string" after all these years.
    You would think that the military would have spent $$ on research to find this out, or that they would budget to equip soldiers with this to prevent them from being blown up.

    I support the troops giving their lives, but I don't support the higher-ups that are keeping them there with no support. For cripes sake - if you were a general, and found out about Silly String, wouldn't you find a way to get that to your men!!

    Still - great effort collecting it - I'll put it in care packages.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodibug
    It's a brilliant thing to write about. Now we know something that can help our soldiers over there and we can send it to them or give it to any agency that takes up donations for gift boxes.

    It's certainly not something I would have thought of, nor would many others.... so if the press hadn't wrote about it, how would we have known?
    you missed my point.
    This gives the terrorists information on how to rig things better so that the silly string won't help.

    It's just like when the NY Times told the whole world we were tapping phone lines, so the terrorists just went out and bought disposable phones that can't be tapped.

    I think it's great to send whatever we can to the troops but something like this is something that the woman could've done and sent a bunch to the troops without having to tell the whole world. It's all for naught now.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I'll be sure to put it on my shopping list to donate for the boys!!! Thanks.
    for the boys AND women ...
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    for the boys AND women ...
    Of course! Just a abbreviated way of saying "the troops."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    for the boys AND women ...
    Women troops don't go on raids, so silly string wouldn't help them, except for entertainment purposes, lol. Pentagon rules, iirc, don't allow women to engage in direct combat efforts. They are in the midst of war, obviously, and can defend themselves, and they fly planes for airstrikes, but I don't think they are allowed to be deliberately sent into ground combat situations such as raids.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NY - Man gets 5 years for string of home-invasion robberies
    By Steely Dan in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
  2. Silly String Birthday Party
    By CW in forum Darlie Routier
    Replies: 239
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 02:11 AM
  3. Penis string man 'used genitals like a puppet'
    By Linda7NJ in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 09:40 PM
  4. PA - string of crimes at West Chester U in PA
    By newshound81 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 03:50 PM