Diary of a Collapsing Superpower

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Diary of a Collapsing Superpower

By Christian Neef

In the fall of 1990, as Germany celebrated reunification, an enormous tragedy was taking shape in Moscow. The historical turning point can be reconstructed from previously undisclosed minutes of Politburo meetings published in Russia this month. And Mikhail Gorbachev may finally get the historical recognition he deserves.

Editor's Note: Seventeen years ago, the Berlin Wall fell, and two years later the Soviet Union broke apart. More than 1,400 minutes published earlier this month in Russia from meetings that took place behind the closed doors of the Politburo in Moscow read like a thriller from the highest levels of the Kremlin. They reveal Mikhail Gorbachev as a party chief who had to fight bitterly for his reforms and ultimately lost his battle. But in doing so, he changed the course of history and helped bring an end to the Cold War. Christian Neef, 54, who served as DER SPIEGEL's correspondent in Moscow until 1996, explains why the "Kremlin minutes" may polish Gorbachev's image in the history books.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,449326,00.html

This is extremely intriguing and somewhat addictive to read, lol. Be warned. :crazy:

Thought this was going to be about America lol

If I had to pick, I'd pick you guys over China any day :p

i thought this was a thread about the USA too... and i'm not joking! under bush, we've gone from #1 to #6 economic superpower. that's quite a testament to FAILURE. then again, it's not like we didn't try our hardest to warn everybody...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back