1278 users online (242 members and 1036 guests)  

Websleuths News

Sticky rice helps insomniacs

Australian scientist Dr Chow(its her real name) has discovered that a bowl of sticky rice eaten before bedtime will insure a better sleep.
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=85699

Hehehe about that being her real name Dingo.

Well, it wont help me, I dont have trouble getting to sleep I have trouble staying alseep.

Ive been the same since I gave up the smokes Narla..and I having the wierdest dreams...Im having to take a restavit to help me stay asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo
    Ive been the same since I gave up the smokes Narla..and I having the wierdest dreams...Im having to take a restavit to help me stay asleep.
    I really should try that Dingo.
    I'm also going back on the happy pills, maybe that will help me sleep better too, who knows, I've been a crappy sleeper for so long now I can't remember when I slept normal.

I really do like sticky rice though, maybe I will eat a bowl before bed just for the hell of it lol

It cant hurt..can it ......how many calories in a bowl of glutionus rice I wonder.

It cant hurt..can it ......how many calories in a bowl of glutionus rice I wonder.
    Hmmm and it's really not good to eat straight before bed anyway.
    I've heard you shouldn't eat after 8 30 pm, not sure how true that is though.

Just read the article again and Dr Chow says to eat the rice 4 hrs before beddie byes.

Just read the article again and Dr Chow says to eat the rice 4 hrs before beddie byes.
    Oh ok, I thought it said straight before bed, musn't have read that properly

What is sticky rice? Do you just cook the long grain rice normally and I wonder if instant rice would be the same thing?

Hi Vicki......Ive never used sticky rice myself......but ive found a bit of info on the Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_rice.
    Im thinking the stuff could be found at the supermarket maybe.

Look for glutinous or sushi rice in the grocery store.

Hi Dingo , I tried Restavit but woke up with a headache andfelt like i had been run over by a train. Bloody awful... So I am giving those things awide berth..

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki
    What is sticky rice? Do you just cook the long grain rice normally and I wonder if instant rice would be the same thing?
    Look for Jasmine rice, which is shorter grain, and higher on the Glycemic Index--it will have a quicker effect on your blood sugar which is conducive to putting you to sleep.

higher GI jasmine rice which has shorter grains and a stodgier consistency.