Scandal brewing at Oral Roberts University

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j9XJtq8scoszIFZLWUjrR8mPuBFQD8S38PR80

Scandal Brewing at Oral Roberts U.

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS – 2 days ago
TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Twenty years ago, televangelist Oral Roberts said he was reading a spy novel when God appeared to him and told him to raise $8 million for Roberts' university, or else he would be "called home."
Now, his son, Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts, says God is speaking again, telling him to deny lurid allegations in a lawsuit that threatens to engulf this 44-year-old Bible Belt college in scandal.
Richard Roberts is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors' expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter's senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife, Lindsay.
She is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as "underage males." (more at link)

I'm sure she's just giving them motherly advice... :rolleyes:

Wow!!! I remember him praying for that money..
Don't know much about him, but I do know Rev.Billy Graham...A good man!!

Don't know much about ORU but, this does not sound good especially considering that the info was found on a family members computer. Sounds like she was intending to rat them out after gathering the evidence. Should make things a bit uncomfortable at family dinners.

Ugh! Trust me...it is all over the news here in Tulsa! I don't see what the big deal is if they use the money for personal gain. Every evangelist I have ever seen has taken their "chunk" out of the till and lived rather well, too. (OK...Billy Graham is one of the very few good ones.) His father certainly didn't go without a lavish lifestyle!

I have never been a fan of the Roberts' family or their tactics. My dearly departed grandmother used to send in hundreds of dollars on her very limited income until we found out what she was doing. We put a stop to it immediately!

Okay, now I just have to tell this one.

My Dad and his buddies from the military attended one of these 'healing' events one evening when we lived out near Tulsa. The crazy one of the three--not my Dad--says "quick, grab my arms and take me down there". They didn't know if he was having some sort of religion fit or what. So as they are going down there, he is violently jerking is head to the left while they almost carry/drag him down there. They are looking at each other like "what is he doing". So the guy gets down there and tells Roberts what is wrong with him, uncontrollable muscle spasms. So Roberts does his thing and tells him he is healed. The guy stands up nice and straight and starts rolling his head around and rubbing his neck....full range of motion. As he turned around to leave, he started doing the exaggerate violent head jerking--this time to the right. The audience laughed hysterically.

My Dad worked for IBM years ago and they had some machines go bad at Roberts headquarters and he was terrified that he was going to meet him in the hall and be remembered.

As for this scandal, yikes. No good.

Cal

I still giggle everytime I say his name..ORAL Roberts....roflmao

sorry...giggling again

Some people are in for a bumpy ride if this is anything like the Jim and Tammy Bakker scandal.

Is he sure he's talking with God? Sounds more like the devil to me. It's people like this that give religion a bad name.

Ugh! Trust me...it is all over the news here in Tulsa! I don't see what the big deal is if they use the money for personal gain. Every evangelist I have ever seen has taken their "chunk" out of the till and lived rather well, too.

The big deal is this: they raise funds and say the money is for their organization's needs, but then they divert it for other things. That's illegal. IIRC it's what got Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker in trouble too.

Hoppy

The big deal is this: they raise funds and say the money is for their organization's needs, but then they divert it for other things. That's illegal. IIRC it's what got Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker in trouble too.

Hoppy
Oh, I agree!! I was being a smart@zz. LOL

Oh, I agree!! I was being a smart@zz. LOL

I think Tulsans are used to evangelist scandals. Remember that one who had the college in Tulsa and it turned out he was sleeping with female and male students? Can't remember his name. Billy Bob or Billy Joe or something.

Yes, shades of Jim and Tammy Faye all over again.

Here it is

(In Tulsa, Billy James)"Hargis formed American Christian College in 1971 in order to teach fundamentalist Christian principles. However, a sex scandal involving claims by two of his students who, on their honeymoon, confessed to each other that they were not virgins, and then found they had lost their virginity to Rev. Hargis. Hargis was forced out of American Christian College's presidency as a result. Further scandals erupted when members of Hargis' youth choir, the "All American Kids," accused Hargis of sexual misconduct as well. The college eventually closed down in the mid-1970s.

Hargis always denied the allegations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_James_Hargis

I remember the being "called home" deal, but didn't realize it was 20 years ago! I remember Ozzy Ozbourne (of all people) saying he sent him $1 with a note telling him to get psychiatric help, lol. It was quite the story back then.

It is only a matter of time before the antics of these evangelical scam artists catch up with them. They are greedy power-hungry scammers and will steal the last cents of old ladies to live the high life. That "university" is their empire and they obviously think they can do whatever they want and nobody with rat on them because they surround themselves with devoted followers. It sounds like the wife has a little problem --can't keep her hands off the youthful male lambs. I wonder if hubby is too busy with his own little lambs to notice!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j9XJtq8scoszIFZLWUjrR8mPuBFQD8S38PR80

Scandal Brewing at Oral Roberts U.

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS – 2 days ago
TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Twenty years ago, televangelist Oral Roberts said he was reading a spy novel when God appeared to him and told him to raise $8 million for Roberts' university, or else he would be "called home."
Now, his son, Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts, says God is speaking again, telling him to deny lurid allegations in a lawsuit that threatens to engulf this 44-year-old Bible Belt college in scandal.
Richard Roberts is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors' expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter's senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife, Lindsay.
She is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as "underage males." (more at link)

I'm sure she's just giving them motherly advice... :rolleyes:

HMMMM ... OK I am a bit confused..
Being called home was a threat????
Correct me if I am wrong .. but isnt that suppose to be good if your religious?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back