Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.wdsu.com/news/14573933/detail.html

HOUMA, La. -- A state representative in a runoff election infuriated civil rights leaders after she ended a conversation with the mother of the NAACP's local president by saying, "Talk to you later, Buckwheat."

State Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, of Morgan City, acknowledged she made the remark during a Thursday night telephone conversation with Hazel Boykin to thank her for driving voters to the polls.

and

But the "Buckwheat" remark is the latest bit of trouble for Dartez and her husband, Lenny, who is a member of the Democratic Party's State Central Committee.

Before qualifying in September, Carla Dartez was given a summons for improper lane usage after hitting a pedestrian with her vehicle. She failed a field sobriety test but passed a later Breathalyzer test.

Earlier this month, Lenny Dartez was indicted on charges of allegedly harboring illegal aliens through his construction business. (more at link)

Sounds like a lovely couple. :loser: :loser:

From a non-native, non-native American speaker (yes twice lol), what is so bad about the word Buckwheat?

Who the hell even thinks like that?! I understand slips of the tongue, but honestly it has never occurred to me to call anyone "Buckwheat."

From the link:
Buckwheat, a black child character in the "Little Rascals" comedies of the 1930s and '40s, is viewed as a racial stereotype demeaning to black people.

From a non-native, non-native American speaker (yes twice lol), what is so bad about the word Buckwheat?

To further Taximom's explanation, the Our Gang comedies date from a period when Hollywood portrayed African Americans only as very submissive, lazy and stupid. Buckwheat stood out as a stereotype even in that day.

Thanks for the 'splanation TM. My computer is acting weird and I didn't go to the link.

ETA Thank you too, Nova.

Thanks, Nova.

I can't stop shaking my head at this one.

I a horrible way to talk to someone, what on earth was she thinking? :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

She's been caught driving drunk. Maybe she was drunk then? I don't know. I just don't get it. You'd think she'd think twice being in the hyper-sensitive political arena right now. I don't understand someone saying that in the first place, but to say it to this woman in particular is even more stupid.

Disclaimer:
I will admit to saying 'Buckwheat' here and there in my life. :eek: lol When Eddie Murphy played him on SNL we would mimic him, in fun of course.
:D

She's been caught driving drunk. Maybe she was drunk then? I don't know. I just don't get it. You'd think she'd think twice being in the hyper-sensitive political arena right now. I don't understand someone saying that in the first place, but to say it to this woman in particular is even more stupid.

Disclaimer:
I will admit to saying 'Buckwheat' here and there in my life. :eek: lol When Eddie Murphy played him on SNL we would mimic him, in fun of course.
:D

LOL I remember that on SNL!! I used to laugh at that too, Eddy Murphy was very funny.

Maybe we should have a symbolic banning of the word buckwheat.

What an idiot! Why, why, why?

I don't even know what to say about that one. Do these people have brains? Do they stay up nights thinking of chit that insults people?
Anyone remember Eddie Murphy's portrayal of Buckwheat on SNL?
images

What an idiot! :doh:

But I have to say...Can you imagine the uproar if she'd been a Republican? :eek:

Not a very smooth thing for a politician to do. Sheesh!!

LOL!

I laugh at the stupidity of of the thought process of this state representative. Too bad she's a democrat. Can't have her shot. :p

LOL!

I laugh at the stupidity of of the thought process of this state representative. Too bad she's a democrat. Can't have her shot. :p

Even I, who feels all this crap is way overblown the majority of the time had my jaw drop at this! (And come to think of it, it's the first time I've been aware of my jaw ever dropping, before.)

How stupid can one person be?

OMG!! What an idiot! I just cannot believe that she'd even think this way to make such an off the cuff remark. Sheeeesh!!!

I DO remember Eddie Murphy doing Buckwheat on SNL back in the day, he was so funny! I remember the 'Buckwheat Sings' commercial skits, those cracked me up!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back