846 users online (183 members and 663 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066

    LI heart doctor on Vytorin: Not for my mom

    Dr. David Brown, chief of cardiovascular medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center, said he knew exactly what to do when surprising results from a study involving the popular cholesterol-lowering drug Vytorin were released earlier this week.

    "I took my mother off it last night," he said. "It doesn't get any more personal than that."

    Not only was Brown's mother taking Vytorin, but so were many of his patients. Phones were ringing constantly at his office yesterday - as they were at the offices of other heart specialists. Worried patients wanted to know whether they should be switched to other medications.
    A European study found that Vytorin, made by pharmaceutical giants Merck & Co. and Schering-Plough, worked no better than an older generic drug. Vytorin is a combination pill composed of a drug called Zetia and another one called Zocor, a type of drug known as a statin.

    The combo is designed to produce a double-barreled attack against artery-plugging plaque.

    But a study by researchers in Amsterdam revealed that Zetia didn't add any medical benefit to the pill. Plaque seemed to accumulate at twice the rate of those on Vytorin compared with patients taking Zocor alone.
    http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,4182556.story

    This is the medication my daughter was put on

    Her dad had a heart attack when he was 32, she has had high cholesterol since she was born which we tried to control through diet and exercise.
    I finally gave in and put her on meds

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Wow, thanks for this info. I'll have to check what my mom is taking. Thanks again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,868
    I was on Vytorin for awhile. It made me sooooooo tired! I quit about a year ago.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,309
    Thanks. I emailed this link to my mother-in-law... she was put on meds but not sure which. Twice the rate... wow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,218
    wow....
    I just checked with my mom, but she takes just to Zocor, not the combo... although, she has decided on her own to stop taking that, along with her blood pressure meds and Plavix - because she feels better w/o it...
    She is a stubborn woman.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by lisag View Post
    wow....
    I just checked with my mom, but she takes just to Zocor, not the combo... although, she has decided on her own to stop taking that, along with her blood pressure meds and Plavix - because she feels better w/o it...
    She is a stubborn woman.....
    That's not a good thing Lisa.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,218
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post
    That's not a good thing Lisa.
    I know.. She is 58
    She had a mild heart attack in July..
    Her blood pressure at the time was high so she was placed on blood pressure meds... Her cholesteral was like 212 so they placed her on cholesteral meds. And she had stents put in, so she was placed on the Plavix.
    She takes her blood pressure every day and it has never been high again.. She never had a blood pressure problem before that, so she thinks she if fine.
    Her cholesteral has not been checked since, so she thinks the doctor is obviously not too concerened about it..
    And the Plavix, the nurse at the hospital said she would only be on that for about 6 months, so she thinks she is good to stop now..
    She listens to no one and says she feels better without the meds. The meds made her extremely tired, bruised and out of breath..
    She has changed her eating habits since and has lost 41lbs. She wants to try diet and excersize instead..
    I told her I don't agree with her.... but she doesn't listen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by lisag View Post
    I know.. She is 58
    She had a mild heart attack in July..
    Her blood pressure at the time was high so she was placed on blood pressure meds... Her cholesteral was like 212 so they placed her on cholesteral meds. And she had stents put in, so she was placed on the Plavix.
    She takes her blood pressure every day and it has never been high again.. She never had a blood pressure problem before that, so she thinks she if fine.
    Her cholesteral has not been checked since, so she thinks the doctor is obviously not too concerened about it..
    And the Plavix, the nurse at the hospital said she would only be on that for about 6 months, so she thinks she is good to stop now..
    She listens to no one and says she feels better without the meds. The meds made her extremely tired, bruised and out of breath..
    She has changed her eating habits since and has lost 41lbs. She wants to try diet and excersize instead..
    I told her I don't agree with her.... but she doesn't listen.

    Don't you just hate when your parents won't listen to you? LOL.
    Seriously, I think it is great that she has made lifestyle changes, and I sincerely hope that she is ok.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,218
    Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post
    Don't you just hate when your parents won't listen to you? LOL.
    Seriously, I think it is great that she has made lifestyle changes, and I sincerely hope that she is ok.
    Lol. Yes !! Maybe it's her way of getting even with me for not listening when I was growing up !!

    She assures me that she will take care of herself and monitor her blood pressure... and that if her blood pressure starts to increase, she will go back on the meds or contact the DR..

    Parents!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Statin drugs. There's an ex astronaut that has written a book about them. He also has a website and forum. Now this is just what I have seen. My gentleman friend after taking them is now walking with a cane. My mom who walked everywhere her entire life suddenly had pain in her achilles heel, and knee. Neither of these two people are cry babies. My one neighbor I see in the supermarket limping. She is in her early 50's. The pain in her heel is excruciating she says. Yep, a generic statin drug. They say exercise aggravates this condition. My mom stopped it as did my neighbor. My gentleman friend has great cholestrol he says, but ummmm can just about walk. Didn't want to diss the heart Doctor guy who makes the commercials, but I wouldn't take that stuff for the life of me.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752

    additional results

    Vytorin Study Shows Little Change In Artery Thickness

    CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- Additional results from a controversial study involving popular cholesterol-lowering drugs from Merck & Co. (MRK) and Schering-Plough Corp. (SGP) known as Enchance showed arteries of patients in the study weren't significantly impacted by either Vytorin or high-doses of Zocor after two years of treatment.

    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...0_FORTUNE5.htm

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Vytorin Backlash?
    CHICAGO -
    Merck and Schering-Plough had hoped new results presented Sunday would ease worries about the usefulness of their cholesterol drugs, Zetia and Vytorin. Instead, for many researchers, anxiety about the medicines is deepening.
    http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/...30vytorin.html



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
  2. GUILTY OH - Twin Drs. Mark & Scott Blankenburg for child sex crimes, Butler County, 2009
    By mysteriew in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM