722 users online (111 members and 611 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Georgia Dome and CNN Center Hit by Tornado

The weather was fierce for a while. I packed my purse with cell phone and prepared for a tornado. My plan was to hit the bathtub with purse and a comforter over my head. It dissipated after much lightening. It is much calmer now. I am about 3-4 miles from the CNN Center.

Scary! What are you hearing there? Be careful. They are saying more on the way.

A dozen injured, Cnn center, the dome, Omni hotel all windows shattered on one side.

My news is from here and what I observe outside.

Our local weather guy wasn't convinced it was a tornado. Something about a "bow" formation on the maps. He said getting smacked with 100 mph straight line winds could damage the dome and knock over brick walls.

Either way, I wouldn't want to be there. Too many hurricanes over too many years and one tornado are enough for me.

Take care of yourself CP!

Quote Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
    Our local weather guy wasn't convinced it was a tornado. Something about a "bow" formation on the maps. He said getting smacked with 100 mph straight line winds could damage the dome and knock over brick walls.

Either way, I wouldn't want to be there. Too many hurricanes over too many years and one tornado are enough for me.
    I've been in my house for 9 years and I've had nothing but one hurricane type storm after another this winter. I still have roofing and siding that needs to fixed. Cinder block hay shelters disappeared and not a block to be found.

This is what they are reporting. It is quiet now. Not even rain.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab

More storms tomorrow that are set to be worse than tonight. The Mayor has called a news presser. It should play here:

http://www.11alive.com/video/default...storyid=112917

Major damage downtown. We had another storm around 7:30 AM that was bad too. Downtown is closed....the pics look like a war zone.

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view...windstorm0314/

SCM, aren't you in the Atlanta area? Stay safe!

We had no idea it was so bad until I got in my car this morning and the garden show on the radio had been pre-empted by the storm coverage. They are asking everyone but emergency personnel to stay out of the downtown area.

Also, I guess they have to replay the basketball game that was interrupted last night. It will be limited to players and their families only, plus the usual cheerleaders and band members, coaches, and people who work at the games. No fans or ticket holders allowed. They said it will be a really eerie sensation to be in that place without the roar of the crowd, especially for such a big game.

We are about a half an hour from downtown and had some pretty ugly thunder and lightening, but for some reason it never even dawned on me to look at the weather. Normally I am pretty vigilant about it. We are so lucky it didn't turn north b/c I wasn't paying a bit of attention!

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    We had no idea it was so bad until I got in my car this morning and the garden show on the radio had been pre-empted by the storm coverage. They are asking everyone but emergency personnel to stay out of the downtown area.

Also, I guess they have to replay the basketball game that was interrupted last night. It will be limited to players and their families only, plus the usual cheerleaders and band members, coaches, and people who work at the games. No fans or ticket holders allowed. They said it will be a really eerie sensation to be in that place without the roar of the crowd, especially for such a big game.

We are about a half an hour from downtown and had some pretty ugly thunder and lightening, but for some reason it never even dawned on me to look at the weather. Normally I am pretty vigilant about it. We are so lucky it didn't turn north b/c I wasn't paying a bit of attention!
    One of the articles I read said another fierce system is coming through around 3 this afternoon. So, watch out for that one. Last night's was no warning. I could see the lightening going on downtown way but I didn't see a funnel cloud.This morning's storm scared me as it was very loud and it woke me up. So watch the ajc for updates on the one that is coming in....you probably don't want to be driving around during that.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    We are so lucky it didn't turn north b/c I wasn't paying a bit of attention!
    I wasn't either!! I woke up to thunder and lightning and rolled over and went back to sleep! Hours later, I got out of bed and couldn't believe what's going on downtown.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast