728 users online (118 members and 610 guests)  

Websleuths News

Ants swarm over Houston

Ants swarm over Houston area, fouling electronics

DALLAS - In what sounds like a really low-budget horror film, voracious swarming ants that apparently arrived in Texas aboard a cargo ship are invading homes and yards across the Houston area, shorting out electrical boxes and messing up computers.

The hairy, reddish-brown creatures are known as "crazy rasberry ants" crazy, because they wander erratically instead of marching in regimented lines, and "rasberry" after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on. "They're itty-bitty things about the size of fleas, and they're just running everywhere," said Patsy Morphew of Pearland, who is constantly sweeping them off her patio and scooping them out of her pool by the cupful. "There's just thousands and thousands of them. If you've seen a car racing, that's how they are. They're going fast, fast, fast. They're crazy."

The ants formally known as "paratrenicha species near pubens" have spread to five Houston-area counties since they were first spotted in Texas in 2002. The newly recognized species is believed to have arrived in a cargo shipment through the port of Houston. Scientists are not sure exactly where the ants came from, but their cousins, commonly called crazy ants, are found in the Southeast and the Caribbean. "At this point, it would be nearly impossible to eradicate the ant because it is so widely dispersed," said Roger Gold, a Texas A&M University entomologist.

The good news? They eat fire ants, the stinging red terrors of Texas summers. But the ants also like to suck the sweet juices from plants, feed on such beneficial insects as ladybugs, and eat the hatchlings of a small, endangered type of grouse known as the Attwater prairie chicken. They also bite humans, though not with a stinger like fire ants.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/..._us/texas_ants

California does have some advantages!

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Gross! That gives me the creeps!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Yuk! Imagine if it would have been snakes.....

THEM!

At least they eat fire ants..

Ants swarm over Houston area, fouling electronics

DALLAS - In what sounds like a really low-budget horror film, voracious swarming ants that apparently arrived in Texas aboard a cargo ship are invading homes and yards across the Houston area, shorting out electrical boxes and messing up computers.

The hairy, reddish-brown creatures are known as "crazy rasberry ants" crazy, because they wander erratically instead of marching in regimented lines, and "rasberry" after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on.

"They're itty-bitty things about the size of fleas, and they're just running everywhere," said Patsy Morphew of Pearland, who is constantly sweeping them off her patio and scooping them out of her pool by the cupful.

"There's just thousands and thousands of them. If you've seen a car racing, that's how they are. They're going fast, fast, fast. They're crazy."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/...N36vhrK0us0NUE

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

OMG! That would drive me insane!! Every spring, we get a few ants that trek into the house...just enough to call a trickle. My friend gave me some stuff that you put a couple of drops on a piece of cardboard and it takes care of the problem immediately! I will have to find out what that is called. Works great tho.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    I hate ants. We have a lot of these little black ants up in the mountains. What we do here is get adolphs meat tenderisor and sprinkle it on the countertops and around the baseboards. I am not sure how it works but it gets rid of them..and fast.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" Steven Wright

What a strange thing to happen.
    Two of my friends have a beach house on the NC coast.
    They've had problems with electrical things in the house all spring. They got a call from an electrician yesterday and he told them that the electrical box was full of either raspberry ants or flying bat ants.
    They had to get an exterminator to get the ants out of the house. Seems they really like living between the walls.
    Who'd a thought?

Maybe that's why my frickin' cable was out the other day!

Could be kato.