CA's now hands-free Cell Phone law takes effect today

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
Anybody besides me think this law is stupid??? Holding a cell phone is NOT what distracts you while driving, it's the fact that you're talking and not concentrating on the road. This new law does nothing to address drivers who are still talking with blue-tooth devices or doing other distracting behaviors while driving (and I've seen these done personally) like putting on mascara and text-messaging. It only penalizes the rest of us! GRRRRR!

We are here for another three weeks...better find my ear plug!

I actually agree with the new law. Been bluetooth for months. The part that bothers me is they forgot the texting.Linask Oh when I drove truck I saw all kinds of things worse then yacking on the phone. But at least this is a start.

Anybody besides me think this law is stupid??? Holding a cell phone is NOT what distracts you while driving, it's the fact that you're talking and not concentrating on the road. This new law does nothing to address drivers who are still talking with blue-tooth devices or doing other distracting behaviors while driving (and I've seen these done personally) like putting on mascara and text-messaging. It only penalizes the rest of us! GRRRRR!

:clap::clap: I agree completely.

The first thing I learned in driver's class was to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. It does distract my driving to hold a cell phone to my ear. Maybe I'm unique in that, but I doubt it.

:clap: I agree with you that there's other things that distract a driver as much as holding a cell phone ~ including other people in the car talking, changing the CD player or radio station, eating, and whatnot. I think the biggest distraction with the cell phone would be textmessaging, dialing a number or picking it up to see who's calling and taking your eyes off the road.

We lost our favorite car (Saturn wagon... great on gas and great on lugging around my astronomy and photography gear) to a man that was talking on a cellphone... he literally ran right over the car. :( J was lucky because it was a miracle that he only walked away with bruised hands from our bags going off... but our car was a total loss. So I guess you can guess our views on such cellphone bans while driving... we support it. We see it all of the time... people driving erratically with cellphone in hand, up to the ear. Heck, some still do it in the District, though there is a ban!

I have seen people do everything, but drive. They will smoke, eat, hit the kids, and still talk on the phone. It's out of control. This law is useless.

Why can't people just be responsible and wait to talk on the phone when they are not driving therefore not putting others at risk. It just creates the opportunity to put another law into effect.

I have seen people do everything, but drive. They will smoke, eat, hit the kids, and still talk on the phone. It's out of control. This law is useless.

Why can't people just be responsible and wait to talk on the phone when they are not driving therefore not putting others at risk. It just creates the opportunity to put another law into effect.

Isn't there already some law regarding driving without due care and attention to cover all i have bolded out above?

i agree with the law regarding cells — i just don't understand why an existing law didn't already cover.

we've had a ban on cells since February, 2001.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back